• jvt63
    jvt63 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Eating too much and moving too little.
  • giannigreco83
    giannigreco83 Posts: 282 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Emotions...f****** emotions...... gained 23kg in 4 months....I don't wanna even translate that number into pounds cuz it gets even higher... I might have eaten around 12,000 calories on Christmas day which is what I should eat in 7 days now...
  • LiveLoveRunFar
    LiveLoveRunFar Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    The terrible trio: Stress, Boredom and Peach Pie.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    For most of my life I was involved in sports and athletics and was a pretty good athlete. After high school I remained pretty active even though I no longer played anything competitively...pretty much all the way up until I was 30 when I graduated from college and started my desk jockey career...at that point I became way less active and put on a good 40 pounds over 8 years.

Now it's gone and I remain pretty active...back to my old self.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    BED (Binge Eating Disorder) I'm just now finding out I have it bad. Thankfully I've always had a pretty fast metabolism... I unfortunately took full advantage of that.... I use to probably eat 3000 + calories a day...
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Medications for Crohn's and anxiety
  • CherryChan81
    CherryChan81 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    i've been fat since i was born... plus i love to eat and i hate to move... :s
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options
    Too many calories?
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Popcorn and jelly beans. I ate them all day and night.
    When I stopped, the weight fell off easily.
    I always see popcorn mentioned here as a healthy low calorie treat. I can't just nibble on a bit of popcorn, I eat a whole jumbo bag to myself.

So do I. I still think it's low calorie for how much food it is.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    I always see popcorn mentioned here as a healthy low calorie treat. I can't just nibble on a bit of popcorn, I eat a whole jumbo bag to myself.

I ate 47g of air-popped popcorn tonight with lots of marge and shredded cheese on it. Only came up to a few hundred calories for being a HUGE bowl.
  • samanthalynn84
    Options
    My biggest was medication. I gained 50 pounds in 3 months despite not upping my calories and remaining active. I slowly packed on the additional extra 25 pounds by getting a desk job (less active in general), eating lots of junk and drinking soda like a mad woman.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »

I ate 47g of air-popped popcorn tonight with lots of marge and shredded cheese on it. Only came up to a few hundred calories for being a HUGE bowl.

Yeah, I think I'm going to go the way of air popped corn soon. It seems like it shaves off like 100 calories for a similar quantity as a bag of newmans or something? And I like it too.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    50 surplus calories a day, and time.

Yep, this for me. I gained 6-7 pounds a year for over a decade. It was gradual enough that I fooled myself into thinking that it wasn't that much.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    What made me fat was eating more calories than my body needed. No particular food or drink, just too muh.
  • rosnigetsfit
    rosnigetsfit Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    bad habits
  • Grunkle_Stan
    Grunkle_Stan Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    snb11d5h5m5c.jpg
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »

Not for me. I put at least 2-3 tablespoons of melted butter on it. If I eat a bowl of popcorn, that's my dinner. LOL
  • junestarrr
    junestarrr Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Too much alcohol and mindless eating.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    Caitoriri wrote: »
    Not that I've ever been officially diagnosed, but I think I had Compulsive Over-Eating Disorder. I got fat at like, 6 or 7 years old, right after my baby sister died, and stayed that way until I was 22. I remember taking my mum's food one time and hiding in my room to eat it and getting in so much trouble. I was in such a trance when I did it. I guess I've just always dealt with stress through food, even at such a young age.

I am sorry about your baby sister. :(

• seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Eating to self-soothe in bad times and celebrate in good times...but mostly, I think it was using others' eating habits to gauge what I should be eating too. And too many restaurant meals. For example, a combo from a fast food place. I never really stopped to say to myself, "Am I still hungry when I eat just the sandwich? Do I need the fries and large soft drink too?" I just ate that because it seemed like a standard meal for "everyone".

For many years I was married to a man who was also morbidly obese (as I was) and I simply ate a bit less than he did. Seven or eight slices of pizza for him...then 4-5 was okay for me, right? He got the big shake so I got a medium and felt like I was being moderate by comparison. Even with girlfriends, I'd just match their pace on the chips and salsa without thinking "hmm I don't even like chips". And I didn't realize a lot of the friends who polished off an enchilada plate at girls' night out dinner had only eaten like, an apple & some cereal all day long...I'd probably had cereal, juice, a latte, and a large lunch as well. A lot of this stuff just clicked for me after joining My Fitness Pal.