Men lose weight so easy...

Options
HuskyHiker413
HuskyHiker413 Posts: 78 Member
edited March 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
This is what I hear from time to time from women... I'm sure it has nothing to do with weighing all my food and hitting the gym 6 days a week!

So do you think men really lose easier than women?

Replies

• pollypocket1021
    pollypocket1021 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    As a 4'11 female on hormonal birth control, yes.

Let's add some progesterone to your daily regimen and see what happens. :/
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Generally speaking yes, I think men have an easier time with weight loss.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Basic musculature means men tend to burn more calories than women at rest

That's why I am spending time building my musculature ...well, that and the fact that it makes me look awesome

Women have to cope with hormonal fluctuations that affect their water weight far more than men

Women also tend, though not in this household, to do a lot of the shopping and cooking

Yes men have it easier but that doesn't mean they can be more successful than women
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

That's why I am spending time building my musculature ...well, that and the fact that it makes me look awesome

Women have to cope with hormonal fluctuations that affect their water weight far more than men

Women also tend, though not in this household, to do a lot of the shopping and cooking

Yes men have it easier but that doesn't mean they can be more successful than women

This.

Don't fool yourself thinking that your advantage is due to measuring your food and working out 6x/wk. There are many women on mfp alone who do that too.
  • Zedeff
    Zedeff Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I don't buy it. Men have a higher baseline calorie consumption, sure, but a pound us a pound and for both genders it's a 3500 calorie deficit.

Is there any reason that my 500 cal deficit should be interpreted differently (mentally) than my wife's 500 cal deficit?

It seems obvious from our shared experience that hunger is proportional to deficit size, and I don't see gender playing any role in that.
  • HuskyHiker413
    HuskyHiker413 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

This.

Don't fool yourself thinking that your advantage is due to measuring your food and working out 6x/wk. There are many women on mfp alone who do that too.

It's not that I think of it as "my advantage", I just find it annoying when people discount the work that goes into it.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    Zedeff wrote: »
    I don't buy it. Men have a higher baseline calorie consumption, sure, but a pound us a pound and for both genders it's a 3500 calorie deficit.

Is there any reason that my 500 cal deficit should be interpreted differently (mentally) than my wife's 500 cal deficit?

It seems obvious from our shared experience that hunger is proportional to deficit size, and I don't see gender playing any role in that.

If your 500 defecit took you to 1200 rather than 2000, hell yes you'd find it more difficult

• Sued0nim
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

This.

It's not that I think of it as "my advantage", I just find it annoying when people discount the work that goes into it.

What about the advantage you have in building muscles?
  • SideSteel
    edited March 2015
    Options

Generally speaking men tend to be a bit less emotional so how they feel about their progress tends to not fluctuate/vary as much as some women from day to day or week to week. This alone has some implications on how they might adhere. Now obviously I'm making a generalization here and this isn't judgmental, it's just something I believe to be true based on my experiences.

Even if hunger is proportional (I'm not convinced that it is) women have far less opportunity to create the magnitude of calorie deficit than a male can.

• cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    I'm afraid males have been dealt the trump card in regards to metabolic rate.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC329930/

http://www.jstor.org/discover/10.2307/1126247?sid=21106119700723&uid=70&uid=2129&uid=2&uid=3738032&uid=4 (1953 in the house!)

Although probably evened out by male pattern baldness (I was 27 for crying out loud), nose and ear hair, and testicles, which being frank just get in the way.
  • SideSteel
    Options
    I'll also add that while this is entirely anecdotal, all of my male clients tend to experience slightly faster results then all of my female clients. Weight loss plateaus tend to be shorter in duration and it's easier to magnify a deficit because there's more caloric opportunity to do so.

• SideSteel
    Options
    cityruss wrote: »
    I'm afraid males have been dealt the trump card in regards to metabolic rate.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC329930/

http://www.jstor.org/discover/10.2307/1126247?sid=21106119700723&uid=70&uid=2129&uid=2&uid=3738032&uid=4 (1953 in the house!)

Although probably evened out by male pattern baldness (I was 27 for crying out loud), nose and ear hair, and testicles, which being frank just get in the way.

And add to this that this was just sedentary 24h-EE. When you then take a population who exercises regularly I would expect this difference to magnify.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options

I will use myself as an example here. If my TDEE happens to be 1900, to have a 500 calorie deficit, I would be able to eat 1400. My man, on the other hand has a TDEE of 2800, so he gets to eat 2300 calories. I think this pretty much shows why men have an easier time. Please note that I didn't even use the fact that men have more muscle mass, nor the hormone issue.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Options
    This is what I hear from time to time from women... I'm sure it has nothing to do with weighing all my food and hitting the gym 6 days a week!

So do you think men really lose easier than men?

I think men lose the same as men. :smiley:
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    If I was a bloke I'd take it as one of my advantages....but I'm still happier to be a women...after all we might not find it as easy to lose weight but we do get all the purty lingerie :bigsmile:
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    If I was a bloke I'd take it as one of my advantages....but I'm still happier to be a women...after all we might not find it as easy to lose weight but we do get all the purty lingerie :bigsmile:

<3
  • _tigerblood_
    _tigerblood_ Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    when I hear a woman say men lose weight faster I assume she's lazy making excuses. you don't hear me complaining that I dont lose blood weight every month.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Options
    when I hear a woman say men lose weight faster I assume she's lazy making excuses. you don't hear me complaining that I dont lose blood weight every month.

Seriously?? You ever had an anatomy class?
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

Seriously?? You ever had an anatomy class?

Or a girlfriend :huh:
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options

I agree with sidesteel and I'd add women maintain 12% essential BF, men 4%( we typically have more more muscle). We(men) have a greater ability to create a larger deficit. Hence the reason, one female friend on here jokes with me about she hates men and their ability to drop weight. Also, I am not comparing my intake to my wife; I already have air conditioning and heat in the dog house, I do not need or want to provide a reason to add carpet.