Bread - Which One?

Options

Replies

• exerciseforhealth
    exerciseforhealth Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    "Bread is bread" - definately not accurate. There is a world of difference between cheap white bread with no nutritional value and whole grain bread with seeds and whole grains. Whole grain bread will sustain you for longer, keep the tummy rumbles at bay and provide you with plenty of iron and other keep your insulin level.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    "Bread is bread" - definately not accurate. There is a world of difference between cheap white bread with no nutritional value and whole grain bread with seeds and whole grains. Whole grain bread will sustain you for longer, keep the tummy rumbles at bay and provide you with plenty of iron and other keep your insulin level.

Any one who has baked bread in their own kitchen and worked with many different recipes knows that bread is bread and that adding special ingredients or different flours does not change the bread's fundamental nature.

Some people do not eat bread and find that they would rather eat something else.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    I like (most of) them all. I like a "homemade white" local bakery loaf. I like a good multi-grain, an authentic sourdough, and I even like the $1 squishy white commercial loaves. I eat 2 slices (or sometimes more) most days. Other days, I may pass on bread in favor of a big baked potato or a stack of corn tortillas. Regardless of bread (or not), I make the calories and carbs fit my day.
  • angf0679
    angf0679 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I eat whole wheat. What I get depends on the whatever is on sale the week I get it. I also like to make it in my bread maker. The one on my bread maker always tastes better. (Especially when it first comes out of the bread maker.)
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I eat low calorie bread, as it's mostly a vessel for peanut butter, cheese, and little egg sandwiches for me. Arnolds bakery lite-80 or 90 calories for two slices.

• NaturallyOlivia
    NaturallyOlivia Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Whichever one you like that fits into your calorie goals

I really like this idea although I'd replace "calorie" with "macros" to consider other factors. Nature's own makes a honey wheat that is only 40 cal per slice and pretty macro friendly.

Flat out also makes a variety of flatbread/tortillas that are 90 cal and macro friendly for wraps and tacos and such
  • gantzgirl87
    gantzgirl87 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    It depends what I'm looking for at the time. If I want a super low calorie option, I choose Great Value 40 calorie wheat bread. Sometimes I want to splurge and get a nice soft white bread, so I get Evangeline. I also like honey wheat bread...it's whatever you want that fits your taste and calories.
  • darryn8
    darryn8 Posts: 1
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    Basically, bread is bread. Find one you like. :)
    (I do not eat bread because I prefer to spend my calories on other things.)

This is so wrong nutritionally speaking. You want a true nutritional bread? Buy Ezekiel spouted grain bread. Arguably the healthiest bread. Just google it.
  • _runnerbean_
    _runnerbean_ Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I eat a variety of breads- whole meal bagels, wholewheat soda bread (yeast free) and spelt bread are my favourites. I try to have a few "bread free" days each week for variety. On those days I have a couscous or quinoa salad for lunch.
  • amdied47
    amdied47 Posts: 10
    Options
    Ezekiel bread in the frozen section, it is healthier and no sugar. For my sandwiches though I use the 2 slices for 35 calorie.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    What are your parameters? These questions always come up, and they all have the same answer: Define "healthier" or "better", and then you won't have to ask the question.

Yeast needs some sugar. Do you have a problem with honey, or corn syrup, or cane sugar or whatever? Well then you have defined one of the parameters for your answer.

What about fiber/whole grains? Is this important to you, or are you fine with white flour? what about enriched? define this for yourself, and again; you are closer to your answer.

The point is; there is no objective answer to "which is healthiest/best", and there's a hundred subjective answers.

Take me; I have haemachromatosis and high iron. For me the answer to the healthiest bread is: Lowest calories, low iron. The amounts of fat, protein, and the kind of sugar to feed the yeast don't matter to me. This means wheat (not 100% whole wheat) or white flour, not enriched .. basically crappy white or wheat bread .. is healthiest .. *for me*.

The problem is; there's a lot of people who will tell you there is only one right answer - all our bodies work the same. While this is narrowly true, it's wrong because it ignores the fact that the human body operates in a very wide range of tolerances, and it is possible that everyone's "right answers" are widely varied, but within those tolerances.

Define your parameters, and the answer will become obvious.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    the one that you like and allows you to hit your calorie/macro/micro targets
  • ndj1979
    Options

and lets not forget its other magical properties…

seriously there is nothing wrong with white bread….
  • ndj1979
    Options
    amdied47 wrote: »
    Ezekiel bread in the frozen section, it is healthier and no sugar. For my sandwiches though I use the 2 slices for 35 calorie.

why is it healthier than whole wheat arnold bread?
  • sullus
    edited March 2015
    Options

"No nutritional value" is what makes it healthier for me.
  • Sweets1954
    Sweets1954 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I have struggled with that as well. I try to get whole wheat or whole grain breads but I find the calorie count is really high on just about all bread. I have recently found a flax seed bread that is only 50 calories a slice but it is very dry and doesn't make a good sandwich. I have tried to find bread that is high in fiber and found that even those that say whole wheat or whole grain still have only 2 g of fiber. I have cut down on the amount of bread I eat for that reason, if I do want a sandwich I tend to use one slice and make half a sandwich.
  • sullus
    edited March 2015
    Options
    amdied47 wrote: »

Define healthier .... (my feelings on ezekiel and white bread are clear in my profile)
  • txrn123
    txrn123 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I have started using corn tortillas instead of bread after seeing how many cals two slices of bread add to my intake.