Do you eat any foods as long as it's in your calorie limit

Options
Do you eat all types of food as long as they are within your calorie limit? I was wondering do you try and stay away from the white foods that we hear
about like Rice..flour...sugar and breads. I have lost a nice amount of weight since Jan 5 but I have noticed the scale isn't moving as much as it was. I was just wondering if I should be cutting out certain foods.

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    It's all about calories in versus calories out :)
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    Sure do!!

As you lose weight your weight loss will slow. If you have room to drop your calorie intake a bit you can do that, just 100 cals then see how that goes over a few weeks (don't go below 1200 a day though). There is no need to cut out any food groups unless you have a medical condition that requires it.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Do you eat all types of food as long as they are within your calorie limit?

No. Especially when I'm in a lower-intake phase, I pay very close attention to how I'm filling my macros.

The higher the intake and/or burn, the less it matters.
  • jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    Pretty much, yes. Still try my best to hit my macros though...especially my protein, but otherwise, I eat what I want as long as it fits in my calories. Since you're having trouble, are you making sure you are weighing and measuring ALL food you are eating, even prepackaged food? As the other person said, weight loss is calories in vs. calories out. It's not the type of food you eat, it's how much you eat. I would look to other areas where there my be issues before cutting out foods. Weigh and measure everything, and make sure the food entries you are using are accurate. So many in the database are incorrect, so be mindful of that.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I don't cut out any foods, but that doesn't mean that I am not choosy about what I eat. I focus on filling my calories first with foods that meet my nutrition goals, and then with my extra calories I will have whatever else seems tasty that day.

My personal nutrition goals include getting a certain amount of protein with each meal and overall, getting vegetables with each meal, getting fats like olive oil and that in avocado, and enough getting fiber, among other things. Thus, if a food doesn't contribute to my nutritional goals I will eat it more sparingly and only if I particularly like it. This means that I devote calories to cheese or ice cream happily when I have them but personally don't eat much, say, white rice or white bread (which I think is harmless and many quite enjoy and should eat, but is just not a food I care much about).

I don't think it makes sense to think of foods as good and bad or to assume that if you eat certain foods within your calories you can't lose weight. It doesn't work that way. But I do think it makes it easier for me and that I feel better if I focus on eating a well-balanced diet with certain foods eaten in much higher quantities than others.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    I eat whatever I want with the caveat that I hit my macro/micro/calorie targets…

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Yep, I try to reach my protein goal but other than that, totally.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I eat any foods I want to eat. What I want has changed. I eat delicious foods, and aim for a nutrient dense, healthful (as I define it) diet, with some yummy treats (wine, chocolate...) when I want them.

Since you specifically mention some heavily refined carbs, yes, I am choosy about the breads and grains I eat, and I don't eat much that has a lot of added sugar.
    I find that I am happiest, most sated, and most compliant when I limit my heavily refined carbs. YMMV.
  • TIME2WIN2015
    Options
    You should definitely check out flexible dieting. Krissy Mae Cagney has a great book out about counting your macros. You essentially can eat whatever you want as long as it fits within your daily macros (carbs, protein and fat).
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    You should definitely check out flexible dieting. Krissy Mae Cagney has a great book out about counting your macros. You essentially can eat whatever you want as long as it fits within your daily macros (carbs, protein and fat).
    You eat "whatever you want" as long as your macros (and calories) are met?

• Nouvelle_Sonia
    Nouvelle_Sonia Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I eat any food, as long as I respect my 1200 calories limit.
  • SweatLikeDog
    SweatLikeDog Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Your body burns different percentages of calories digesting different macros. 1000 calories of protein eaten can require as much as 300 calories to digest, while the same calories of fat would only require 50 calories to digest...http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/ask-the-macro-manager-what-is-thermic-effect.html
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Well, most of my food is classified as nutrient rich because that's how I've always eaten and what I enjoy eating, but when a food is high in calories and I feel like having it (no matter what color it is) I just do. And if I want it badly enough I just have it regardless if it fits my calories or not. There is always plenty of time to make up for that. An yes I've lost all of my weight like that, eating the whole color spectrum of things.
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    I do not eat any "white" foods.... Or any high glycemic foods... But I am a type 2 diabetic and this is my blood glucose control method.
  • markja
    markja Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    It has to taste good if I'm going to eat it. That's my main rule. I've cut back on starches and sugars, too.

I've found that almost anything labeled diet tastes like crap so I leave it alone, for the most part. Reduced fat mozzarella is ok, so is low fat milk.

For me, it's about choices. Is rather enjoy a nice steak and skip the baked potato or dessert. For side dishes, asparagus or most any vegetable, two or more. If I have bread I'll skip dessert or, just share a bite of dessert with mrs.

Everything you put in your mouth has a caloric cost. I've only got 1800 each day so, I think alot about what I'm going to eat.

Stuff that I don't bother with includes: Rice, white bread, cheap cookies, cheap candy, chow mein, sugary breakfast cereal, restaurant mashed potatoes, mostly any kind of starchy filter food.

I do still eat pasta, bakery bread, quinoa, baked potatoes and home mademashers. Sometimes I'll have fried potatoes but NEVER frozen french fries! They taste like grease and freezer to me.

I eat lots of nonfat yogurt and cottage cheese, whole grain cereal, meats and fresh or frozen vegetables. And, I pay for my treats with extra walking or exercises.
  • SpicyBaconCake
    SpicyBaconCake Posts: 96 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I have found that when I'm trying to hit a calorie goal, it goes a couple of ways.
    I eat whatever sounds good, use up all my calories, and either starve the rest of the day or say screw it and go over calories with something healthier.
    I block certain food groups from my diet, and end up either miserable and bitchy, or I go over calories giving in to those carb, sugar, chocolate, and soda cravings anyway.
    I focus on the most bang for my calorie buck, and I'm naturally drawn to healthier items that keep me full longer. I can have celery and peanut butter and some cottage cheese for the same caloric cost as a donut. Sometimes I go for the donut, pizza, and soda, but I'm starting to recognize(before its too late) that the other stuff will keep me full and give me the right kind of energy.
    Guess I'm trying to say, that for me, the more attention I pay to calories, the less I go for the calorie dense breads and junk. But I do not cut it out, as that has not worked out for me yet.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I eat to meet my calorie and macro goals. Generally, I'm eating about 80% what is traditionally thought of as "healthy" food. I also eat white food (toast each morning now), full fat yogurt and cottage cheese, red meat, etc.

• HumboldtFred
    HumboldtFred Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I eat whatever I want within my limits, but try to avoid processed foods and refined sugars. I try to be mindful of the quality of what I am eating. That being said, If I am hustling and pressed for time, I know the caloric value of a happy meal and that will just have to work for the day.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i eat whatever i want, as long as it fits in (or close, some days LOL) to my calorie goals. i lose steadily and consistently, so for me, it works.
  • exerciseforhealth
    exerciseforhealth Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have only been a member for a couple of weeks but am struggling to find likeminded people. Most diaries I look at are attrotious! Not all calories have the same nutritional value. You can eat your allowance in *kitten* food and from what I see a lot of people do that.