IIFYM Questions

Options

Replies

• katherinemfries
    katherinemfries Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I've been burning around 400-450 cals a day on cardio.
  • sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    So you'll be netting 800 calories. Yes, too low.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I've been burning around 400-450 cals a day on cardio.

What are you doing?
    Are you eating those calories?

If you plan to compete you want to focus on maintaining what muscle you can while cutting. You don't want to be doing big calorie deficits.
  • rushfive
    rushfive Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Just as another example. I try to hit 50% carb 25fat 25protein....
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    That doesn't look like it adds up to a lot of calories - 1150? Fat seems unhealthily low (carbs too but that can be a preference thing).

I've done 1200 net myself in the past, so I won't judge but if I were you, I'd have, at least, another 20g of fat.
  • katherinemfries
    Options
    So went back to the IIFYM website and did the calculator. It's telling me 200C 70P 35F 1394 calories... Carbs seem so high! Maybe that's just my instinct to fear carbs though.
  • katherinemfries
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I did choose "aggressive" though.. Gonna check "suggested"
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    So went back to the IIFYM website and did the calculator. It's telling me 200C 70P 35F 1394 calories... Carbs seem so high! Maybe that's just my instinct to fear carbs though.

Can you tell us which options you are choosing?

The calories still seem a little low and, while you shouldn't fear carbs, the protein seems a little low.
  • katherinemfries
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Lol I think I found the problem, I had put 52 percent body fat instead of 25.... That explains the low cals. Now it's saying 1700 cals 230C 92P 46F
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Suggested on the IIFYM site, 221C 70P 35F

What did you put in for exercise? I put in that you want 1 gram of protein per pound of LBM (for lifting), that you're 30% body fat (you might be lower than that though), and that you work out 5 times per week. I got 1793 calories, 253 C, 109 P, 38 F.

I'd probably do more fat than that honestly, but it should be viewed as a minimum.

eta: if you do the above you would NOT eat back exercise calories.
  • killakyle420
    Options

I would bump up the protein a bit, it should be 1g per lb of lean body mass. So if you know your bf% subtract it from your weight and that should be you protein intake.
  • sgthaggard
    Options
    Lol I think I found the problem, I had put 52 percent body fat instead of 25.... That explains the low cals. Now it's saying 1700 cals 230C 92P 46F
    That sounds a bit more doable!

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

I would bump up the protein a bit, it should be 1g per lb of lean body mass. So if you know your bf% subtract it from your weight and that should be you protein intake.

Thank you thank you thank you!! Finally someone who can explain simply how to calculate LBM :D:D I've asked a few times on here, and never received a concise answer.
  • sgthaggard
    Options

Thank you thank you thank you!! Finally someone who can explain simply how to calculate LBM :D:D I've asked a few times on here, and never received a concise answer.
    Your 'fat mass' is your BF% x your weight. Your LBM is your weight - your fat mass. You could also calculate LBM as (1-BF%) x weight. ;)
  • katherinemfries
    Options
    Thanks for all the help yall. I was already loving flexible dieting before I knew I had so much more room to play!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    sgthaggard wrote: »

Your 'fat mass' is your BF% x your weight. Your LBM is your weight - your fat mass. You could also calculate LBM as (1-BF%) x weight. ;)
    Yeah.... No idea what you just said lol The previous poster was much easier to understand ;)
  • killakyle420
    Options

Your welcome!
  • sgthaggard
    Options
    sgthaggard wrote: »

Yeah.... No idea what you just said lol The previous poster was much easier to understand ;)
    Well, you could go with that, but you will only get your lean mass by subtracting your BF% from your weight if you weighed 100 lbs. ;).

• deniztuzu2
    deniztuzu2 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Going by some guidelines I gathered while researching my own macro calculations, if I were you, at this weight, my starting caloric goal and macros would be:
    156x10= 1560 cal
    P= 0.8x156= 125 gr
    F= 0.4x156= 62 gr
    C= 1560- 1058= 502/4= 125 gr
    I would go by these numbers for a month or two and then evaluate my progress.
    As I stated at the top, this is "if I were you".
  • peterjens
    peterjens Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    So went back to the IIFYM website and did the calculator.

Regarding the IIFYM calculator - After plugging in your stats and finding out your macros, please, please, please, read the last section "Your IIFYM Macro Calculator Results." There are some very important "rules" to adhere to. I think the most important rule is "you should eat the exact amount of fat, carbs, protein and fiber listed in the IIFYM Macro Calculator every day, regardless if you exercise or not." Again, please read the entire section and cut and paste the text somewhere so you can read it whenever you wonder if the program is working for you.

The best is yet to come.