IIFYM Questions

Options
katherinemfries
katherinemfries Posts: 17 Member
edited March 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
I've just jumped on the IIFYM train and I'D just like some one to let me know if I'm on the right track (It's only day 3) or not. I've used a few calculators online and kinda made up my own numbers. I just unlocked my diary so let me know.

Macros are:
40F 90C 130P

Replies

• katherinemfries
    Options
    And before anyone asks, yes I am measuring everything :)
  • peterjens
    peterjens Posts: 235 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I learned a lot from MFP member usmcmp. She is the OP of "So you want a nice stomach" in this same forum. I suggest you read her post and maybe ask your same question there.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    And before anyone asks, yes I am measuring everything :)

I'm gonna ask lol Measuring or weighing??
  • lcooper327
    lcooper327 Posts: 112 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    For some reason I can't see your diary. I have a feeling that's not enough calories. What are your stats? Goals?
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Seems a little low on calories, although since it looks like you're measuring by volume not weight you're probably eating a little more. I have to say-- well done getting that much protein on that few calories.
  • sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    So 1240 calories? Are you doing weight training? If not (and even still), I would probably lower your protein and increase your carbs, but that's just me.
  • katherinemfries
    Options
    I know my carbs are pretty low, would I just raise those to increase my calories?
  • katherinemfries
    Options
    And darn, weighing not measuring!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I know my carbs are pretty low, would I just raise those to increase my calories?

No one can tell you whether or not to increase your calories without knowing your stats.

How tall are you?
    How much do you weight?
    How active are you?
    What are your goals?

ETA - I agree that your calories are likely too low but can't say for sure without more info.
  • katherinemfries
    Options
    I'm 5'5 and weigh 156 currently, I want to get down to 130. I do a little bit of lifting but nothing really serious, would like to get more into it but I get weight room anxiety and kinda end up wandering around unsure of what to do haha. So right now it's just dumb bells at home lol
  • katherinemfries
    Options
    Eventually (like in the distant future) I'd love to do a bikini comp
  • sgthaggard
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Carbs and protein have the same calories per gram so if your heart is set on 1240 calories, you can increase one and decrease the other by the same number. Otherwise, yes, raising your carbs will increase your calories by 4 per one gram of carbs.

Typically, it is recommended (by whom? no clue) that you should have one gram of protein per pound of lean muscle but don't remember if that recommendation is based on you doing strength training. Someone else will probably be able to answer that. And I don't know your current weight or BF%, so it would be up to you to decide if 133 the right number for you.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Completely off topic. But shouldn't your generic turkey breast have more protein and calories???
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    I'm 5'5 and weigh 156 currently, I want to get down to 130. I do a little bit of lifting but nothing really serious, would like to get more into it but I get weight room anxiety and kinda end up wandering around unsure of what to do haha. So right now it's just dumb bells at home lol

Start with a program. Stronglifts, Starting Strength, New Rules of Lifting for Women, and Strong Curves are all good programs that get promoted here a lot. Most beginner programs can be done with dumbbells at home-- as long as you're able to keep increasing the weight. I have an adjustable set. Deadlifts might have to be substituted; I'm not really sure how you'd do those with dumbbells.

Are you using a food scale? Your diary suggests not, but sometimes I log things by volume and then weigh out what the package says.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    Completely off topic. But shouldn't your generic turkey breast have more protein and calories???

It does say "shaved"-- maybe they're REALLY thin slices?
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

Start with a program. Stronglifts, Starting Strength, New Rules of Lifting for Women, and Strong Curves are all good programs that get promoted here a lot. Most beginner programs can be done with dumbbells at home-- as long as you're able to keep increasing the weight. I have an adjustable set. Deadlifts might have to be substituted; I'm not really sure how you'd do those with dumbbells.

Are you using a food scale? Your diary suggests not, but sometimes I log things by volume and then weigh out what the package says.

This.

Strong Curves does have an at home program. You can buy an e-book version of the program or the book itself.

Also, I'm the same height and you are younger. I suspect you have your weight loss goal set a little too high. You made up your own numbers so it is hard to advise but if you are working out you probably should be a bit higher than 1240. When I am around your weight, I think I'm around 1400 for 1 lb a week before exercise. With exercise it should be higher.
    I wouldn't suggest aiming for 2 lbs a week.

• katherinemfries
    Options
    I weigh everything except for like the turkey bacon and deli meats (and chipotle which I refuse to give up haha) but when I scan the barcodes for everything else it's usually by volume so I do some math and portion it out by weight if that makes sense?
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    Yes, it makes sense. I do the same. I'd agree with 3dogsrunning and suggest a less aggressive weight loss goal, especially if you start lifting more seriously as you're going to want and need the calories.
  • sgthaggard
    Options
    Also keep in mind that IIFYM is based on your TDEE so, unlike what MFP recommends, you shouldn't be eating back your exercise calories. Given that, 1240 sounds a bit low if you're expecting to exercise.
  • katherinemfries
    Options
    Yeah the turkeys pretty thin, scanned the barcode for it so I'd hope it's accurate.

I'll definitely look into a program, sounds like it'll give me the direction I need.

Wouldn't be mad about raising calories and dropping the protein a little. I literally drank raw egg whites after dinner to hit my protein lol