Soylent

Options

Replies

• chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    auddii wrote: »
    @dbmata‌ considering you make your own hams, bacon, etc. I'm kind of surprised you're do excited about non food sustenance.
    Right, I'm an amazing cook, and only miss doing it professionally because I miss the time and access to materials.

I don't view it as a non-food, as its base constituents are all food. For example. People rant, rave, and bloviate about how oatmeal is good for you right? The base for my drink is organic oats I keep store in vaccuum, and then grind precisely what I need to the fineness I want, at the time of making my drink mix. Chia seeds are teh kewlest, right? In there, I grind them immediately prior to mixing. Olive oil and coconut oil are viewed as quality lipids, no? I use cold pressed olive oil and an organic coconut oil. It goes on and on, but everything I'm using is the highest level of quality on the market I can find.

For me it's a matter of time, consistency, and it's right in my wheelhouse. I make weird stuff. The ham, bacon, pate, sausages, meat moussilines, cheese, etc. those are all the old school stuff I do. I engage in a lot of new school stuff now too, particularly molecular gastronomy, and I feel this fits in with that. Depending on which stabilizers I want to use, I can make a particular thickness for mouthfeel, etc. It's a fun gastronomical puzzle, that tastes good and lets me focus time during the weekdays on other things. That's all. If anything, I'd say the worst ingredient in it is my whey protein, I'm using the optimum nutrition performance whey isolate. I'll need to find a better ingredient, but if that's the worst in there, it's pretty dialed in then.

You should start your own company and market it! Those are some prime ingredients!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    It's an option that makes sense for people competing in ironman, and other endurance sports. Liquid nutrition has a higher uptake during stress periods, meaning it'll get into you quicker.

Look at how much people spend on stuff like HEED. I know I have spent way too much on it... there is a market. It would also get me back to looking at being a pro again. I always said I'd go back to cooking if I didn't have to listen to the people I'm cooking for. lol.
  • chivalryder
    Options
    It's an option that makes sense for people competing in ironman, and other endurance sports. Liquid nutrition has a higher uptake during stress periods, meaning it'll get into you quicker.

Look at how much people spend on stuff like HEED. I know I have spent way too much on it... there is a market. It would also get me back to looking at being a pro again. I always said I'd go back to cooking if I didn't have to listen to the people I'm cooking for. lol.

One thing that got me excited about DIY Soylent was for bicycle touring: I could mix it all up before I left and carry it with me. On a week long tour, I'd have less than 20lbs worth of food and I'd save a lot of money from eating out.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I wonder about the value it would have for long distance alpine climbing expeditions. If you're shooting for a whole food, don't want to carry water weight, want to limit expelled waste, and something you can tailor to potentially high levels of caloric need... it makes potential sense. You can really take a strategic min/max approach to it.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I wonder about the value it would have for long distance alpine climbing expeditions. If you're shooting for a whole food, don't want to carry water weight, want to limit expelled waste, and something you can tailor to potentially high levels of caloric need... it makes potential sense. You can really take a strategic min/max approach to it.

Camping too. I feel like this is way more well rounded than the dehydrated eggs and soups we used to have when we'd hike to the campsite.
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    This is a bizarre idea to me, because I love everything about food: the tastes and textures, the shopping, preparation, serving and sharing.

However, I have a friend who just isn't interested at all in food, and always said if she could just have an injection to cover it she would. I guess this is designed for people like her. :\
  • auddii
    Options
    Tubbs216 wrote: »
    This is a bizarre idea to me, because I love everything about food: the tastes and textures, the shopping, preparation, serving and sharing.

However, I have a friend who just isn't interested at all in food, and always said if she could just have an injection to cover it she would. I guess this is designed for people like her. :\

I remember those shows about people who have weird (and extreme) quirks, and I saw a commercial for a woman who couldn't stand eating food. She was way underweight because of it, and she would blend some foods, and I think at one point convinced a doctor to give her a feeding tube, but she didn't actually need one. I would imagine someone like that would love this stuff because they could actually get all the nutrients they need.

And as just a meal replacement for people who are on the go or at school or whatever makes them too busy to eat, you probably can't beat the macros and calories.
  • chivalryder
    Options

I remember those shows about people who have weird (and extreme) quirks, and I saw a commercial for a woman who couldn't stand eating food. She was way underweight because of it, and she would blend some foods, and I think at one point convinced a doctor to give her a feeding tube, but she didn't actually need one. I would imagine someone like that would love this stuff because they could actually get all the nutrients they need.

And as just a meal replacement for people who are on the go or at school or whatever makes them too busy to eat, you probably can't beat the macros and calories.

This. Think "college student." No money, no time. Cheap and easy/fast way to get complete (or as complete as we know) nutrition.

Today, got a big bonus (well, I worked overtime) and I've been going at life pretty hard, so I decided to treat myself for lunch and breakfast. Now, my joints are sore and I feel lethargic. I was also hungry before lunch rolled around, even though I ate more calories than what my breakfast shake contained.

I'm starting to think there really is something to this stuff.

Note: I have a DIY formula and I would not recommend this to someone as a full-time thing if they can afford and have time for a healthy, well-balanced diet.
  • auddii
    Options

This. Think "college student." No money, no time. Cheap and easy/fast way to get complete (or as complete as we know) nutrition.

Today, got a big bonus (well, I worked overtime) and I've been going at life pretty hard, so I decided to treat myself for lunch and breakfast. Now, my joints are sore and I feel lethargic. I was also hungry before lunch rolled around, even though I ate more calories than what my breakfast shake contained.

I'm starting to think there really is something to this stuff.

Note: I have a DIY formula and I would not recommend this to someone as a full-time thing if they can afford and have time for a healthy, well-balanced diet.

I think this is what a lot of people are missing too. It's going to be right and work for some people but wouldn't for a lot of others. It's a good option for those that want it.
  • chivalryder
    Options
    50452 wrote: »
    I ordered it but know it will be months before I get it. I signed up for a subscription of a two week supply that, I figure, should last me a month. I don't want to replace eating completely, just free up time with food prep and clean up. As long as it is relatively nutritious and sates me between meals, I'm really liking the idea.

I cannot quite understand, yet, how to formulate a DIY version that will fit my needs.
    There is a Clean Schmoylent version that, along with the recipes I've gotten here, looks interesting.

There is a video on the front DIY page. There are also a few YouTube videos showing how to do it. If you still cannot figure it out, I strongly advise against trying a DIY recipe.
  • chivalryder
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    Sounds like a Beach Body shake.

lol. You've been through most of this conversation. You already know it's not a Beach Body shake.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    It is exactly the same idea - meal replacement to cover all nutritional needs. Only difference is how the requirements are being defined.

Instead of calling it Soylent, it could just as easily be called DIY Shakeology.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    And oh gosh, look at this...recipes for Shakeology! :smiley:

http://diy.soylent.me/recipes/chocolate-peanut-butter-banana-shakeology
  • auddii
    edited March 2015
    Options
    And oh gosh, look at this...recipes for Shakeology! :smiley:

http://diy.soylent.me/recipes/chocolate-peanut-butter-banana-shakeology

Well, except the shakeology is being used as an ingredient (and seriously, that would kill the inexpensive reasoning behind soylent) in a DIY soylent. Because it's essentially just protein powder.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    It is exactly the same idea - meal replacement to cover all nutritional needs. Only difference is how the requirements are being defined.

Instead of calling it Soylent, it could just as easily be called DIY Shakeology.

Not quite. One is a meal replacement within a normal food diet, sold as a revenue generating health drink. The other is an attempt to deliver complete nutrient profile as a single source of food, at minimal cost.

While I don't buy it - and have given my reserves upstream - it's disingeneous to compare one to the other.
    50452 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I've done Shakeology and was not impressed. It was very expensive and tasted like fluff.

I'm interested in Soylent for a large percentage of nutrients, but also to compliment it with eating healthful foods. I really like the idea and hope that it works for me in the way I desire. And I think that there is a good chance that it can happen based on the review of its users.

It may not be for everyone, but I think that those who are not interested should just bow out of the discussion gracefully.

• JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,212 MFP Moderator
    Options
    This thread has been cleaned up to remove posts that conflict with the following guidelines:

1. No Attacks or Insults and No Reciprocation

a) Do not attack, mock, or otherwise insult others. You can respectfully disagree with the message or topic, but you cannot attack the messenger. This includes attacks against the user’s spelling or command of written English, or belittling a user for posting a duplicate topic.
    b) If you are attacked by another user, and you reciprocate, you will also be subject to the same consequences. Defending yourself or a friend is not an excuse! Do not take matters into your own hands – instead, use the Report Post link to report an attack and we will be happy to handle the situation for you.

2. No Hi-Jacking, Trolling, or Flame-baiting

Please stay on-topic in an existing thread, and post new threads in the appropriate forum. Taking a thread off-topic is considered hi-jacking. Please either contribute politely and constructively to a topic, or move on without posting. This includes posts that encourage the drama in a topic to escalate, or posts intended to incite an uproar from the community.

Please, keep it polite.
    davis_em
  • Niff314
    Niff314 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Thanks for helping to keep us on-topic.

Quick Soylent follow up - SO and I went out for steaks last night (to celebrate Pi Day, of course!) and going from all-Soylent to a 12-oz sirloin was a bit tiresome for my system. Woke up feeling hungover. After resuming Soylent and getting a good workout in, I'm feeling much better. I wonder if people who switch suddenly from vegetarianism to eating meat have similar issues? All I know is, Soylent never makes me tired or hungover. =)
  • cj2075
    cj2075 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I don't get that reaction so quickly and enjoy the occasional steak as a snack. I have found that going a few days without Soylent will affect me and I will start craving it, but only after a few days. With that being said, I will admit that I have ignored the signals of my body for most of my life (hence why I am trying to lose weight) and it might take me longer than most to catch those signs. ;)
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I wonder how much of the increased energy is actually due to increased hydration. Since two people who reported this were on separate liquid diets - juice cleanse and soylent.

I drink as much water now as I did before I started drinking my DIY soylent. I have more energy now than I did then.

But you're also consuming the water you put in soylent, which means you're drinking more?