Weight Loss Supplements?!

Options
What do you females recommend ? I am currently exercising and eating healthier and my goal is to
lose about 30 pounds.

Replies

• SexyKatherine73
    SexyKatherine73 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Weight Loss Supplements are "Snake Oil" save your money stick to a defect and keep doing what your doing, there are no short cuts.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Nope. No such thing. If it was as easy as popping a pill, there'd be no overweight people. Unfortunately to lose weight you need to put in the hard yards.
    Enter your stats into mfp's calculator, and stick to the calories it gives you to lose weight :)
  • HappyLifting89
    Options
    I can say I have used some Cellucor products before, no real change, just increased energy really on top of the coffee I already drink. I have also used MHP Water Xpel, which made a difference when I was cutting some water weight, I also changed my diet at the time which made a difference. ALL IN ALL use your diet, drink lots of water and/or green tea, black tea, or oolong tea. There is no pill or fix of any sort that will result in long-term results..except for what you do in the kitchen. Remember your body is built by what you put in it and how you use it :)
  • Christine_72
    Options
    I can say I have used some Cellucor products before, no real change, just increased energy really on top of the coffee I already drink. I have also used MHP Water Xpel, which made a difference when I was cutting some water weight, I also changed my diet at the time which made a difference. ALL IN ALL use your diet, drink lots of water and/or green tea, black tea, or oolong tea. There is no pill or fix of any sort that will result in long-term results..except for what you do in the kitchen. Remember your body is built by what you put in it and how you use it :)

I drink a lot of black tea, how does that help? :smile:

• Nickers5405
    Nickers5405 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    If you don't know of any pills - don't bother commenting. She doesn't need people telling her it's not the healthy way of losing weight yada yada. Everyone on here is old enough to make their own decisions.

Yes there are pills that work. No their not good for you.
  • mariastaples26
    Options
    If you don't know of any pills - don't bother commenting. She doesn't need people telling her it's not the healthy way of losing weight yada yada. Everyone on here is old enough to make their own decisions.

Thank you Nick.
  • Christine_72
    edited March 2015
    Options

ok There's phentermine which you'll need a doctors prescription for. I used it, lasted 3 weeks before tossing them in the trash as the side effects were terrible.
    I've also used:

Green coffee bean extract
    Garcinia Cambogia
    plexus
    and a few others I can't remember the name of. None of them did diddly squat! !
    The ONLY thing that did help me lose weight was coming on here and religiously weighing, measuring and logging my food. And ofcourse, staying in a calorie deficit.
    I honestly wish I could give you the name of a magic pill or potion, but I can't :disappointed_relieved: you gotta put in the hard yards to get to where you want to be

• efwolfcub
    efwolfcub Posts: 99 Member
    Options

Nick - if you can name some, why don't you? A few that I can think of off hand

By Prescription:
    Phentermine - 1 of 2 prescription drugs for weight loss still available. Has some cardiac side effects and gives you the jitters. Strongly contraindicated if you have high blood pressure, anxiety disorder, or even mild arrythmias.

Xenical/Orlistat - "may cause anal leakage" Available over the counter (Alli) and by Prescription

Over the counter:
    1000 different herbal supplements. None of which have been proven to work better than placebo.

OTC stimulants - not really recommended, especially since they sometimes have the reverse effect and increase your appetite rather than decrease it.

Illegal:
    Heroin, crystal meth, cocaine - not always available as a pill, but all 3 are effective for weight loss, with some side effects of course.

Pills don't work. if they did, then weight loss surgery wouldn't be paid for by insurance.

• fnoblebrown
    fnoblebrown Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    The OTC stuff is not necessarily ineffective; it just won't overcome the need for better eating habits and more exercise for you.

Simply put, many of them are just some combination of caffeine and B-vitamins. They give you a boost of energy and make you feel better. That CAN help if you're looking for a little kick to get you off the couch and on the treadmill, but it's not going to do a damned bit of good if all you want to do is pop pills, suck down pizza and soda, and sit in from of your TV/computer all day.

Now, if you're committed to sticking to a real diet and exercise plan, there are a number of helpful supplements that you would be wise to consider - not all of it is "snake oil" and much of the chemistry is quite sound.

Someone mentioned Cellucor, for example. I use their pre-workout powder all the time. Yes, part of the formula is meant to provide a boost in energy. But it also contains creatine, which, in short, is absolutely proven to help with muscle growth, and is widely used by athletes, bodybuilders, et cetera.

Don't dismiss the science out of hand just out of skepticism; yes, it is good to be skeptical of miracle weight loss drugs. That does not mean every fitness supplement is just false advertising. The important thing to remember is that these are *SUPPLEMENTS*, not solutions; they're meant to help, they won't do the work for you.

I don't take C4 just to get me moving in the morning; frankly, it's too expensive to use so frivolously. I take it before I do any heavy weight lifting or go on a long run. That's when it'll do me the most good.
  • mskinner1091
    mskinner1091 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I can't reccomend any personally because I don't take them. However, I don't think they're the devil. Try taking some & see what you think. I like to do more natural things. I drink a hot tea by Yogi. It's called Slim Life. Maybe try something like that. I've lost 27lbs since December. (Not just because of my tea) A combination of CICO, cardio, & weight lifting. Good luck!! :smile:
  • Hippychick5983
    Hippychick5983 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I tried a bunch of OTC pills but I didn't like how they made me feel. Too jittery. They also didn't really help much. Now I just take a multivitamin and Fish Oil supplement. These help boost my energy level in a healthy way which in turn helps me get more exercise like walking more and doing yoga at home after work.

I have heard that people did good on Alli but I was too afraid of the side affects. The whole....leakage thing....just didn't sound appalling to me.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,574 Member
    Options

Actually people DO NEED someone telling them that they don't work. Correct information should be the information passed on here, not information to pacify someone.
    NO PILL works without calorie deficit. And weight loss is because of calorie deficit. Calorie deficit doesn't cost extra. One just has to eat less.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    I've seen a lot of meth addicts that are skinny as a rail so there are some things out there that work....or maybe they just can't afford food.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

Actually people DO NEED someone telling them that they don't work. Correct information should be the information passed on here, not information to pacify someone.
    NO PILL works without calorie deficit. And weight loss is because of calorie deficit. Calorie deficit doesn't cost extra. One just has to eat less.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

^This. So much this.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Clen or an EC stack (ephedrine & caffeine) are excellent SUPPLEMENTS to a calorie restricted diet.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    There are very few proven supplements, none of which will make you lose weight unless you are in a calorie deficit.

Appetite suppressants like Hoodia or phentermine generally only work for a few months and then it becomes ineffective.

Caffeine can boost energy in some people, in others it's not as effective (caffeine/sugar have little impact on my performance/energy levels).

Whey is a good supplement for getting protein but doesn't cause weight loss or gain, but can help with muscle retention if you are lifting.

Creatine Monohydrate is actually one of the most proven supplements on the market and it can help with performance.

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options

If you aren't going to provide any information for which supplements work, why bother commenting?

• Chrysalid2014
    Chrysalid2014 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I've just started but I'm taking CLA and guarana. I don't know if there have been any official medical studies on it but I figure it can't hurt, might help. The claims made about it are that it decreases the number of fat cells and helps you retain muscle while you're losing weight. I have quite a lot of muscle under there so am hoping to keep it while losing the fat!

"CLA can reduce the volume of adipocytes, or fat cells, in the body. In a particular study, mice were given CLA or CLA plus guarana, a herb that contains a form of caffeine called guaranine that is 2.5 times stronger than the caffeine found in coffee and other drinks. In just 6 weeks, there was significant reduction in fat mass in both groups. However, the group of mice that were fed the combination CLA/guarana lost fat because the size and number of adipocytes decreased, while the CLA only group lost fat due to a reduction in fat cell size alone (FASEB Journal, v. 16, no. 5, pt. I; March 22, 2002).

Importantly, the guaranine does not cause a caffeine rush some people may experience when drinking coffee. The slow-releasing compound, which releases into the system in over as much as 6 hours, temporarily increases body temperature and metabolism, resulting in fat loss.

One can thus conclude that the combination of guarana and CLA could have a profound effect on controlling weight and preventing obesity."