Kinesiologist recommends 175g protein for 136lbs woman?

Options
13»

Replies

• Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    clabq0914 wrote: »
    MrM27 wrote: »

Any reason why you chose not to read the thread but commented instead? This page alone has had some interesting information.

At quick glance, it diverged into a bcaa thread and everyone questioning the source of the advice whether they were a Kinesiologist, nutritionist, or bodybuilder, when we are all internet strangers in a semi-public forum.

Incorrect, I suggested that the OP be the one to question it and get the answers.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

Any reason why you chose not to read the thread but commented instead? This page alone has had some interesting information.

At quick glance, it diverged into a bcaa thread and everyone questioning the source of the advice whether they were a Kinesiologist, nutritionist, or bodybuilder, when we are all internet strangers in a semi-public forum.

You maybe are internet strangers.

But these are my peoples.

We aren't strangers at all.

No strange here to be had.
  • clabq0914
    clabq0914 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

To the OP, there is no dead set, magic bullet, grams of protein to build lean mass, some say 0.5g, some say 1g, some say 2+, so the recommendation given to you was on the high side (~1.5), but still inline. Try out 1g and see if you can handle that in your diet and how well your body responds, you could always vary it from there to tailor your needs.

Well it doesn't take more than simple math. No need to question the source or the credentials.
  • clabq0914
    clabq0914 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Why can't we? We like to know some information before just giving out advice. It makes more sense.

You also went ahead and told her to not do what the kinesiologist said to do, so it's not much different.

ok touche

• Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

To the OP, there is no dead set, magic bullet, grams of protein to build lean mass, some say 0.5g, some say 1g, some say 2+, so the recommendation given to you was on the high side (~1.5), but still inline. Try out 1g and see if you can handle that in your diet and how well your body responds, you could always vary it from there to tailor your needs.

Well it doesn't take more than simple math. No need to question the source or the credentials.

Most say .8g per lb of body weight OR 1lb of lean body mass, for bulking. Many of us successful body sculptors here have used this, and we are meticulous loggers. I'll go with that.

Your 1g per lb of body weight or 1.5 of LBM is wildly varying (I'd come out at 127g and a ridiculous 157.5) and will go to waste, cut into valuable carbs, put strain on my kidneys, and digestive system, and cost money!

No need to question the source or credentials??

Plus, beginners have no way of tracking whether random protein recommendations are 'working', as when you are in a bulk you have no idea what's going on ratio of muscle:fat wise until the cut begins.

Remember: you don't get extra points for going over on protein.
  • Springfield1970
    edited March 2015
    Options
    TLDR whole thread.

IMO, I'm surprised that someone other than a dedicated bodybuilder would recommend over the 1g/lb for protein. Good for them.

Personally, if you are otherwise healthy, I don't see anything wrong with it and as long as you are not completely starving yourself of valuable carbs and fats too. Hardcore bodybuilders can do as much as 2g and your run of the mill nutritionist could go as low as 0.5g/lb. It's debateable whether to choose LBM or current bodyweight.

But if your goals are more lean mass and less fat, then listen to the pros who have been there and done it. I would say at a minimum, do 1g/lb of total bodyweight or 1.5g/lb of LBM.

By the way, eating more protein doesn't mean that your bulk will be made up of a higher muscle:fat ratio. Its to do with the calorie control over excess needs and staying within the excess window.

It's make believe. Like thinking that tiger in your pic wouldn't eat you for lunch if he hadn't just taken a bunch of Valium.

• JoRocka
    Options

Why can't we? We like to know some information before just giving out advice. It makes more sense.

You also went ahead and told her to not do what the kinesiologist said to do, so it's not much different.
    Agreed.

And I'd add as well- one of the reasons to raise an eyebrow at that is- often times people start doleing out advice in a gym- about sorts of things. This was a weird recommendation- what else is someone like that who clearly doesn't know what they are talking about telling people to do???

For myself- the typical advice I give out is- for most people anything over 100 grams is adequate. It puts you on the lower end of that .8 grams/lean body mass- but it gets you damn close.

So instead of sweating the exact numbers- just get over a 100 and you're good.

• Springfield1970
    edited March 2015
    Options

Agreed.

And I'd add as well- one of the reasons to raise an eyebrow at that is- often times people start doleing out advice in a gym- about sorts of things. This was a weird recommendation- what else is someone like that who clearly doesn't know what they are talking about telling people to do???

For myself- the typical advice I give out is- for most people anything over 100 grams is adequate. It puts you on the lower end of that .8 grams/lean body mass- but it gets you damn close.

So instead of sweating the exact numbers- just get over a 100 and you're good.

100, that's what I do too, for womenz at elast, though SaraUk has got me thinking about how older birdz like me may need more. Truth be told, I have to work really hard to get the 100. It's a big responsibility. No Wine and fries lunches for me!!

What a difference it's made to my life though! My recovery from sports, and my vocal cord health! (I'z a singer) and my immune system, I put it all down to that 100 plus protein.

• iorahkwano
    iorahkwano Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the advice!

The kinesiologist says she's been body building for 24 years so she did have experience, but I wondered if maybe she misunderstood my goals. I think I will stick to 120-140g of protein. I don't want to stress my kidneys or make myself sick trying to eat so much protein for nothing.

Today I test out my 1 rep max for Wendled's 5/3/1!
  • JoRocka
    Options
    iorahkwano wrote: »

The kinesiologist says she's been body building for 24 years so she did have experience, but I wondered if maybe she misunderstood my goals. I think I will stick to 120-140g of protein. I don't want to stress my kidneys or make myself sick trying to eat so much protein for nothing.

Good luck!
    Go kill it!!!
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

Chances are she is basing her recommendations on what she has previously done and not necessarily on what the body of evidence on the subject says.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »

Chances are she is basing her recommendations on what she has previously done and not necessarily on what the body of evidence on the subject says.

The research I've read suggests that leucin oxidation is reached at .8g/lb for the hardest training strength athletes studied. That's more than most would need and indicates that anything beyond that is not being used to synthesize sketletal muscle tissue even among the top strength athletes. I've always suggested 1g/lb for wiggle room and ease of calculating your daily requirements.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    As long as you hit a minimum of 1g per pound of LEAN body mass (that part is important) then you should be ok. When I bulk I cycle protein from 1g to 1.5g per lb as I find it difficult to hit 300g protein.