Do you eat any foods as long as it's in your calorie limit

Options

Replies

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I have only been a member for a couple of weeks but am struggling to find likeminded people. Most diaries I look at are attrotious! Not all calories have the same nutritional value. You can eat your allowance in *kitten* food and from what I see a lot of people do that.

See, the thing with macro and micronutrients is that your body only needs a certain amount to function, the rest either goes down the toilet drain or has increasingly diminishing returns, or worse.. could build up to dangerous amounts. When you have your days planned and all your needs fulfilled and have extra calories to spend somewhere, why not spend them on something you really enjoy, regardless of its nutritional value? After all mental health is as important as physical health.
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    I eat whatever I want. The portion sizes are just smaller.
  • joejward95
    joejward95 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    For weight loss,then it doesn't matter what you eat, only how much you eat. That said, personally I try to stick to a pretty healthy diet ie Oatmeal and Banana for breakfast , fish and veggies for lunch etc...But this is mainly because getting sufficient nutrients helps your overall fitness. So if you're aiming to be as fit as you possibly can, eat as well as you possibly can, but if you're only looking to lose weight then just control your portions.
  • wick3tgirl
    wick3tgirl Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    it kinda goes 80-90% healthy, nutrient dense foods and 10-20% whatever I want as long as it fits. it makes me stay sane if I can have a chocolate treat every day/couple of days, since Im on a really low-cal diet. of course thats for losing weight, when I go into recomposition, Im gonna be more focused on macros, especially protein intake.
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    You should definitely check out flexible dieting. Krissy Mae Cagney has a great book out about counting your macros. You essentially can eat whatever you want as long as it fits within your daily macros (carbs, protein and fat).

So in short you can't eat what ever you want
  • megomerrett
    megomerrett Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    It's a balance. Most days it's balanced through the day, all the food groups and mainly goes out of the window on weekends/birthdays etc. The main thing with a calorie controlled diet is realising that you can feel fuller for longer if you use more veggies and the right kind of slow release carbs. I've given up bread for a month and it's making me be a bit more creative with breakfast and lunch - it's including a handful of rolled oats in my breakfast smoothie.
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I have only been a member for a couple of weeks but am struggling to find likeminded people. Most diaries I look at are attrotious! Not all calories have the same nutritional value. You can eat your allowance in *kitten* food and from what I see a lot of people do that.
    My question to you is why are you so concerned about what others are eating? If they ask your advice fair enough but not everyone has the same goals so making judgements about so called good and bad foods is how a lot of people got here
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

define "atrocious"

none is recommending getting 100% of calories from ice cream or cookies.

also 100 calories of ice cream = 100 calories of carrots…however, they aren to nutritional twins…

different between calories as unit of energy and nutrition content of food.

but thanks for judging everyones diaries as "*kitten*"….
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options

Judges everyone's diary......................Keeps her diary closed!
  • ArkMom35
    ArkMom35 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I will eat anything as long as it fits in my goals, and most importantly, is worth it. Sometimes I'll check something and be like "no thank you!" and other times it's worth it to me to satiate myself. Obviously I try to aim for healthy meals, but I like my junky snacks.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

Judge-Judy-Eye-Roll.gif

Why don't you open your diary so we can judge your choices?

OP: Yes I try to make my choices fit into my day calories/macros. Some days I'm better than others.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I eat wut I want... I do wut I want.
  • Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I may not always eat "whatever I want," but I make darn sure I want everything I eat. I'm not going to choke something down just because it's supposed to be "good for me," and I'm not going to completely avoid foods I enjoy. I'm just going to make sure they fit in my overall plan. No "cauliflower pizza," I'll just plan my day better when I really want real pizza so that it will fit my goals, or have it balance out over the week.

I'll still have bread, pasta, rice, and potatoes, but while I'm losing weight, I'll stick to one of those with dinner, maybe two, instead of three of them.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

wtf063.gif
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

Kristen-Wiig-Aunt-Linda-Oh-brother.gif
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

There are some open diaries where you can go back for weeks without finding a plant food. And those same folks regularly state that they meet their macros/micros. I don't see how without any vegetables and fruits.

There are some diaries on here with virtually no fiber. Again, I can think of a few users with such diaries who claim they meet all their macros and micros. With maybe 5 grams of fiber in their diaries.

These are often folks who claim to be doing it RIGHT.

And then there are many who eat nutrient dense, whole foods. Plant heavy. Some open, some closed, of course, and some (like me) don't log consistently, or at all.

If you're here a while, you'll meet lots of like minded folks.
    Perhaps one of the groups would be a good place to start?
  • NewMeSM75
    NewMeSM75 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! I love pasta and am going to eat it. The zoodles are good but it's not pasta.... I don't see food as being "bad". It's food.... Some have more nutritional values but life is too short to not indulge.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    Do you eat all types of food as long as they are within your calorie limit? I was wondering do you try and stay away from the white foods that we hear
    about like Rice..flour...sugar and breads. I have lost a nice amount of weight since Jan 5 but I have noticed the scale isn't moving as much as it was. I was just wondering if I should be cutting out certain foods.

Don't stress too much. The numbers on the scale drop fast at first, it's normal and healthy for the rate to slow down or even stall occasionally.

If you are feeling satisfied and properly fueled at your current deficit, and you are achieving your protein and fiber (and any other micro goals that are important to you, I look at Calcium and I know some other MFPers that look at Potassium or Iron) then there is no need to cut so-called "white" foods out. The reason some people have success eliminating them is mostly because they can carry a lot of calories and they seem to be a challenge for a lot of people when it comes to portion control. Doesn't make them "bad" foods in general, though.

The only "bad" food you can eat is one that you don't enjoy!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Steph38878 wrote: »
    Absolutely! I love pasta and am going to eat it. The zoodles are good but it's not pasta.... I don't see food as being "bad". It's food.... Some have more nutritional values but life is too short to not indulge.

Another thing is that it's kind of odd to look at foods as if they weren't part of a whole meal. Eating plain pasta is going to mostly contribute energy (not that there's anything wrong with that), but typically it's part of an overall meal that includes protein and veggies. At least that's how I make my pasta. I often use whole wheat pasta since I like it with some of the sauces I make, but if someone prefers white pasta as a vehicle for their veggies and protein, it seems silly to me to say that makes it unhealthy.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Do you eat all types of food as long as they are within your calorie limit? I was wondering do you try and stay away from the white foods that we hear
    about like Rice..flour...sugar and breads. I have lost a nice amount of weight since Jan 5 but I have noticed the scale isn't moving as much as it was. I was just wondering if I should be cutting out certain foods.

Yes, but I definitely put a premium on veg and fruit, whole grains, lean proteins, and healthy fats.

Also, there is nothing inherently unhealthy about "white foods"...that's just fear mongering. A potato for example is a white food...and it is loaded with nutrition.