Sweat......Lots of sweat......Good or bad for weight loss?

Options

Replies

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i dont sweat hardly at all. work out in some form or another at least 6 days a week.

i dont think sweat equals fat loss LOL
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    I will say that it is a big difference between my pic 2 and pic 3 sweat levels. I have to really work hard on weights to sweat. The three big lift indiviual used to make me sweat. Now it is only squats. Does that mean that i did not have a high intensity in the other two lifts. NOPE.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    Doesn't make any difference. Sweating is about regulating temperature.
    QFT It has nothing to do with calorie burn.

• cskone38
    cskone38 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I don't know about you but I love to sweat when I am exercising bc you are getting all that excess water and toxins out of your body.

Yea me too, I usually do the whole trash bag thing
  • cskone38
    Options
    RunTimer wrote: »
    AmbyrJayde wrote: »

I would say it's a good thing to sweat more. Because of that video right there.

tl;dr: You breathe and sweat out your fat. (80% is breathed out the rest is urine, sweat, tears whatnot)

Thanks for posting this. Very illuminating!

Thank you too!
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    Losing sweat isn't losing weight. But usually if I'm sweating it means I'm working hard. For me, hard cardio suppresses my appetite. (It makes some people hungrier, though)
  • Amanda4change
    Amanda4change Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I can get a pretty good idea about the intensity of my workout by how much I sweat (if and only if the temp in the gym is normal, the weekend the air wasn't working I sweated more but burned less according to my HRM) I swear a lot when working out and moderate to high intensity I can easily drop 1 1/4- 2 pounds of water weight during a workout (yes I weigh before and after which gives me a good idea of how much water I need to drink to replenish and not become dehydrated. I cannot rely on feeling thirsty as I rarely (even when severely dehydrated feel thirsty due to low blood sugar issues)
  • Sophsmother
    Sophsmother Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I actually thought that a workout wasn't really doing anything for you if you didn't get your heart rate up and sweat. I thought it meant you were in calorie burning mode.

So if I do yoga or barre classes and don't get my heart rate up and break a sweat, it's still beneficial in terms of weight lifting loss?
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    Options
    I actually thought that a workout wasn't really doing anything for you if you didn't get your heart rate up and sweat. I thought it meant you were in calorie burning mode.

So if I do yoga or barre classes and don't get my heart rate up and break a sweat, it's still beneficial in terms of weight lifting loss?

your heart rate has to go up, but some people simply dont sweat, or dont sweat much (like me) and, as i said, my weight loss is consistent.

i know yoga burns a lot of calories, i would think barre does too? not sure. not my thing LOL regardless, im certain it would be great for toning and agility/ flexibility!
  • tracie_minus100
    tracie_minus100 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I am so so so jealous of those of you who don't sweat much. I do, and I hate it.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Sweat a lot! I just like to feel gross for the last few minutes and right afterwards so that I will enjoy that shower even more! I sweat a ton on cardio days! When I lift weights I sweat some ..

Anywho, it depends on the person, the temperature (outside and inside your body) and what type of "work" you are doing.. It does not matter if you sweat or not!

• luv_lea
    luv_lea Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I don't know for sure, but I DO know that's it's horrible for my eczema. :neutral_face:
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    How much you appear to sweat is in large part genetic.

I sweat a ton, especially from the head. It's great for getting a sense of how hard I am working out--terrible for social dancing.

I know that I am getting a great workout when I start sweating from the elbows and ankles.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    If all I had to do was sweat I'd just crank up the heat...
  • jlahorn
    jlahorn Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    i know yoga burns a lot of calories

Unfortunately, it does not. Even "power yoga" burns fewer calories than a 3.5 mph walk. http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/weight-loss/in-depth/exercise/art-20050999?pg=2

• urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,324 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    If all I had to do was sweat I'd just crank up the heat...

lol. thanks for that.

i barely sweat and when I do its just the back of my neck. I still get a great work out....I just don;t really sweat.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    Options
    jlahorn wrote: »
    i know yoga burns a lot of calories

Unfortunately, it does not. Even "power yoga" burns fewer calories than a 3.5 mph walk. http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/weight-loss/in-depth/exercise/art-20050999?pg=2

learn something new every day! I thought it burned a fair amount!
  • cskone38
    Options
    gia07 wrote: »
    Sweat a lot! I just like to feel gross for the last few minutes and right afterwards so that I will enjoy that shower even more! I sweat a ton on cardio days! When I lift weights I sweat some ..

Anywho, it depends on the person, the temperature (outside and inside your body) and what type of "work" you are doing.. It does not matter if you sweat or not!

Really now?
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    Options
    cskone38 wrote: »
    gia07 wrote: »

Really now?

yes, really.