believing in science

Options

Replies

• MattBeFit
    MattBeFit Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    JohnZain wrote: »
    MattBeFit wrote: »
    The factor I like best about science is that it's true whether you believe it or not. There is no vested interest in the individual.

Oh really? I would encourage you and everyone interested in the philosophy of science to read Thomas Kuhn's Structure of Scientific Revolutions.

There are plenty of vested interests including political agenda, research grants/funding.

Those factors have nothing to do with science. Science, in its purest form, is an approach to reasoning about our world. You've simply conflated ideas.
  • JohnZain
    JohnZain Posts: 23 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Nature of scientific progress according to Kuhn:
    Paradigm - A theory based on a new discovery is accepted by the scientific community.
    Normal Science - Scientists explore all the implications of theory.
    Revolution (Paradigm Shift) - Current theory is found to contain anomalies and the Scientific community doubts its validity. A new theory is selected as the prevailing theory by the scientific community.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Any chance we can get this thread back to the merit of basing our beliefs/habits on scientific studies? Because, from the little bit that I think I know, the majority of studies in the health/fitness arena involve relatively small populations of rather specific types of people, which makes those findings hard to apply generally, which is also why I try to compare what science makes me think I know to what I'm actually experiencing in real life. I find I struggle with determining correlation vs causation, but in the end, results are then ultimate validation.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    @tincanonastring :( apparently my gif was appreciated by all. *tear*

Well, I liked it. *kitten* forum rules, how do they work?
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Science is nothing more than a system explaining how something occurs. It is constantly dynamic in nature and scientific theories are continually proven/dis-proven.

The problem with science are individual's interpretation and use of knowledge. Whether used in marketing campaigns, political endeavors, etc. it is rarely the "science" behind the subject, but an incorrect assumption or overreach by an individual or group - e.g. the low-fat/no-fat movement, eggs are bad, carbs are bad, and so on...
  • tincanonastring
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    Any chance we can get this thread back to the merit of basing our beliefs/habits on scientific studies? Because, from the little bit that I think I know, the majority of studies in the health/fitness arena involve relatively small populations of rather specific types of people, which makes those findings hard to apply generally. Which is why I prefer it when things say "studies suggest" rather than "studies prove".

+1 I've also noticed that.
  • JohnZain
    JohnZain Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    The sad thing, i think though, is that the majority of people never contemplate the implications of General Relativity. 4-dimensional space-time, gravitational time dilation, time traveling twins.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options
    jt880 wrote: »
    If the universe expanded what space did it fill?

Nothing.

"nothing" is a tough concept for most to grasp.
  • tincanonastring
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    Any chance we can get this thread back to the merit of basing our beliefs/habits on scientific studies? Because, from the little bit that I think I know, the majority of studies in the health/fitness arena involve relatively small populations of rather specific types of people, which makes those findings hard to apply generally. Which is why I prefer it when things say "studies suggest" rather than "studies prove".

And, since we're on the subject, I'd be interested in any studies on HIIT, specifically different ratios, max heart rate calculations, activity types, etc. If you've come across any, I'd appreciate any links you have.
  • tincanonastring
    edited March 2015
    Options
    _John_ wrote: »

Nothing.

Isn't it? I feel like I have a decent handle on it and I still don't think I could describe it.

ETA: Decent for a layman.
  • liekewheeless
    liekewheeless Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I "believe" in science. I don't know if believe is the correct way to put it.

I think science is the path to truth, but it's a path that's never finished. We get closer every day, but with new discoveries come new paths.

Just because a theories are discredited doesn't mean non of it is correct and you can just ignore it because some day it may just be proven wrong.

We use what we learn the best way we can so we can get closer to the truth in the future.
  • CSARdiver
    Options
    HIIT article: http://link.springer.com/article/10.2165/00007256-200232010-00003

This article caused a major shift in the SOCOM training methodology. XDU conducted a massive 10 year study tracking the vitals of candidates - seeing a dramatic reduction in injuries and increased cardio profiles.
  • rougenoire
    rougenoire Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    1. In the past, many scientific recommendations end up being wrong (eg 'Low-fat' in the '80s). It is reasonable to assume that at least some current scientific recommendations are wrong, too. Even Einstein's theory of relativity is just a theory, after all. Looking back in history, at any given time some of the ideas that were accepted as facts (the earth being flat, for example) have since turned out to be false. It is reasonable to assume that history will look back on the current period in the same way.

The scientist who came up with the low fat study didn't use a scientifically rigorous method like using all the data to make his findings so actually the study was flawed and the results misreported. It has been widely discussed and a little googling will bring up lots of articles and comment on this.

Probably some scientific recommendations are wrong now as science is a process of getting closer to the right answer.

Theory when used by scientists does not mean the same as colloquial usage, theory here means the best possible fit for the facts but I am still open to the possibility that with further observation there are modifications required.

Ideas are different to theories, some people way back when may have (I say may as I haven't ever seen an example of where people did actually think the earth was flat as opposed to our assumption that they did) have thought the earth was flat. Some people here think juice fasts/ketones/it doesn't count if I don't track it is a viable approach, doesn't make it right.

Nothing in your first paragraph makes your assumption reasonable. Howver that being said science will go on to adapt to the data presented and make new recommendations. That's what science does.

• bennettinfinity
    bennettinfinity Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    _John_ wrote: »

Nothing.

Actually, I'm and *expert* at nothing. Ask anybody... I know nothing. :)
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    It bothers me when someone uses the saying "well, it's just a theory" as a way to disprove something. Theory is not an opposite of truth nor is it a synonym of opinion. Theory is a model that best explains a truth of reality. No one knows the full "truth" of gravity, however, we have the theory of relativity that best explains it so far. A scientific theory is based on years of gathering evidence and evaluating it using various tools such as technology, mathematics, etc. Newton's theory of gravity didn't suddenly become "wrong" when Einstein came along. If Newton's theory is "wrong" we would all be in a lot of trouble.

Beliefs are just opinions that are tied to strong emotions.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    There are plenty of vested interests including political agenda, research grants/funding.

Those factors have nothing to do with science. Science, in its purest form, is an approach to reasoning about our world.[/quote]

Interesting, because the same could be said about Philosophy, religion, or spiritually, which is an approach to reasoning about the meaning of the world.

• tincanonastring
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Chaelaz wrote: »

Those factors have nothing to do with science. Science, in its purest form, is an approach to reasoning about our world.

Interesting, because the same could be said about Philosophy, religion, or spiritually, which is an approach to reasoning about the meaning of the world.

[/quote]

There is nothing scientific about the search for meaning.
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 900 Member
    Options

Those factors have nothing to do with science. Science, in its purest form, is an approach to reasoning about our world.

[/quote]

Nope. All those reach conclusions based on opinions and beliefs. Science takes opinions and beliefs (e.g. hypotheses) and tests them using empirical evidence.
  • CSARdiver
    Options

[/quote]

Science is devoted to the "How" something occurs. Religion/Philosophy helps define the "Why".

I believe he's pointing out how the purity of science can be corrupted by vested interests.
  • bennettinfinity
    bennettinfinity Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »

Science is devoted to the "How" something occurs. Religion/Philosophy helps define the "Why".

I believe he's pointing out how the purity of science can be corrupted by vested interests.[/quote]

Agreed... whenever people are involved, the potential for corruption of the Ideal exists.