Juicing

Options
13»

Replies

50452 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    My two cents:

I did a 15 day vegetable juice feast - I drank as much homemade juice as I wanted, but I was still pretty hungry the first five days. After that, though, I only had hunger occasionally and that was when I had a cue like seeing a Taco Bell sign. Other than that, I wasn't hungry at all.

I also, in the first five days especially, got horrible headaches.

I heard other people say that 5 to 10 days in, they get a surge of energy. I never experience that. Sometimes I did get a few spurts. *shrug*

I got terrible cramps in my leg at night. A blood draw showed that I was low on calcium (my potassium was fine) and my doctor said that that was likely causing the leg cramps. She told me to supplement if I did another juice feast.

That was the negative.

The positives were:

Something in my body's nutrition and circulation increased. My nails were growing so fast I was trimming them daily.

My brain worked better after the first five days. It was like being on prednisone. I had no brain fog and I could tell that my mind was working better than it had in a long time. I could think through complicated issues much more quickly and efficiently.

I completely forgot about taking my daily asthma medication. Normally, I'm reminded by an inability to breathe, but my breathing improved spectacularly during the feast.

I only needed five hours of sleep a night. Seriously, I would go to bed at midnight and wake up - wide awake - at 5:00 a.m. I tried to nap, but I just never could make myself sleep more than 5 hours. And I was alert. I wasn't drinking anything caffeine either.

It's not a lifestyle, for certain, but unless someone has an underlying condition that would contraindicate it, I don't see a problem. I'd like to do it again.

• Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    50452 wrote: »
    My two cents:

I did a 15 day vegetable juice feast - I drank as much homemade juice as I wanted, but I was still pretty hungry the first five days.

[SNIP]

Sometimes I did get a few spurts. *shrug*

Lawlz.
    Options
    50452 wrote: »
    My two cents:

I did a 15 day vegetable juice feast - I drank as much homemade juice as I wanted, but I was still pretty hungry the first five days.

[SNIP]

Sometimes I did get a few spurts. *shrug*

Lawlz.

?
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    *spurtz* = what juicing does to your digestive track.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »

This.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all your thoughts! I diet regularly and work out but I was encouraged to try juicing to help lose a few extra pounds before my vacation. Guess I will just stick to my normal routine :)

You know, lost in all this nonsense was a completely unexpected and entirely rational response by the OP. I feel it should be noticed and applauded!

applause.gif
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »

Oh, okay. I never experienced that.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    The only thing I juice is when I have leafy greens that are just about to go bad. I hate wasting food so I'll juice them so I feel like I'm not wasteful.
  • JayRuby84
    JayRuby84 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Just don't. Eat your fruits and veggies. Eat at a deficit. Be consistent. Log absolutely everything that goes in to your mouth.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    RGv2 wrote: »
    My only question.....WTH is wrong with pizza?

Oh, and hooray for commercials dressed like infomercials....

Edit, I guess I had a 2nd question, didn't nearly dead guy almost get to nearly dead again?

He did it for the sequel.

• runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    My colleague juices - not for cleanse though. Smart, smart woman.

Our team is notorious for setting up meeting right around lunch hour. While everyone rushes either before or after the meeting to grab their lunch (including me) - not her.

She has her veggies and fruits all juiced up and chilled in a coffee mug. She carries that to the meeting.

People who don't know her trick think she is drinking coffee. Ha Ha Ha!!!!
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options
    jkal1979 wrote: »

Edit, I guess I had a 2nd question, didn't nearly dead guy almost get to nearly dead again?

Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead 2: What to do When You Inevitably Put All the Weight Back on After Your Juice Fast (Hint: It's Another Tortuous Juice Fast)
  • jkal1979
    Options

Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead 2: What to do When You Inevitably Put All the Weight Back on After Your Juice Fast (Hint: It's Another Tortuous Juice Fast)

A spoiler alert would have been nice. B)

• flatlndr
    flatlndr Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all your thoughts! I diet regularly and work out but I was encouraged to try juicing to help lose a few extra pounds before my vacation. Guess I will just stick to my normal routine :)

Getting back to the OP ... may I recommend that rather than "dieting regularly", you get on a "regular sustainable diet", in conjunction with your work outs, so that you maintain at a healthy level, rather than yo-yo.

PS - Enjoy your vacation!
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

Oh, must have needed to move more product.
  • monkeystikx
    monkeystikx Posts: 40 Member
    Options

The number one "toxic" substance and is dihydrogen monoxide. Very dangerous stuff.[/quote]

-Yes, water can be quite dangerous stuff
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    jkwolly wrote: »
    Wow, juice threads gal lore today.

In for pizza. <3

Pizza.gif

Yuuuuuuus <3<3<3

And how I spelt galore wrong, no idea :|
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    I disagree with most of the answers above, but everyone is entitled to their opinion. I'm on a juice detox. I'm on day 15 and have only drank fresh pressed fruit and veg, hot lemon water & fruit tea (when I fancy something hot). I have lost 1st 1lb in 2 weeks, I have a lot more to loose, but this is only the start! With the way life is today our bodies are full of toxins! If you drink alcohol, smoke, eat processed foods, drink fizzy sodas, eat anything with a shelf life (anything in a packet with a date on it), it is all full of chemicals and preservatives that do harm to our body. So when you detox your aim is to get rid of that. Yes your body naturally cleanses and heals itself, but how can it when we're choking down un-natural foods and chemicals? Our body then has to focus on processing alien products and isn't getting a chance to heal itself. I may not stop in a month, or two, I will stop when I can honestly say that I feel healthy. If you have any questions please feel free to ask! :smile:

Why would you not just stop putting all that crap into your body in the first place?
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options

Aww, sorry I ruined it for you :frowning:

Here, enjoy this cute kitten gif as an apology:

tumblr_nbf4ncgvDV1siilpjo1_500.gif
  • jkal1979
    Options

Aww, sorry I ruined it for you :frowning:

Here, enjoy this cute kitten gif as an apology:

tumblr_nbf4ncgvDV1siilpjo1_500.gif

Awww