Always Hungry for 'normal' food - under 1200 cal

Options
2»

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    That was my other big question, should I stick to the 1300 no matter what I burned or should I use up my calorie allowance with the burned calories factored in?

If you're using MFP to set your goals, then you're meant to be eating them. With the caveat that some exercises or exercise equipment might give you an inflated number of calories burned. A lot of people choose to eat only 50-75% of their extra exercise calories just in case their estimates are off.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/818082/exercise-calories-again-wtf

• slittle80
    slittle80 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    That was my other big question, should I stick to the 1300 no matter what I burned or should I use up my calorie allowance with the burned calories factored in?

If you're using MFP to set your goals, then you're meant to be eating them. With the caveat that some exercises or exercise equipment might give you an inflated number of calories burned. A lot of people choose to eat only 50-75% of their extra exercise calories just in case their estimates are off.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/818082/exercise-calories-again-wtf

^^^this. I choose to set my calories a little higher than default and then don't eat my calories back unless it's an extremely intense workout or I double up.

• kangaroux92
    kangaroux92 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    i hear you i was sticking to 1200 cal a day 1500 with exercise. it is hard but i saw results that way, however you are a little taller than me and i didn't loose 7 pounds in 14 days so i think its a little to aggressive for you start at 1400/1500 without exercise and see what happens.
  • dinobomp
    dinobomp Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I didn't read all the replies, but I totally get it. That's what happens to me. I have always had to restrict my calories, because my body just doesn't need much to survive! That would be great if we were in a famine, but that's not the case. I know how frustrating. It's been 11 days since I posted a loss. I have not been down to where that last loss was! It makes me crazy. I'm trying different foods to see if that helps, but I empathize with you. I'm hungry a lot of the time too. Very frustrating!
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    I'm 5ft 6in. I had lost 7 pounds in 14 days. Maybe that's too much?

Yes, that is way too much.

A healthy weight loss is 1-2 pounds a week. 2 pounds a week is really only for people who are pretty overweight. If you don't have much to lose, 1 pound or even half a pound a week is a much better goal. Slow and steady wins the race!

Definitely increase your calories, you might see a gain at first but that's completely temporary due to increasing the amount of food. You can definitely lose weight eating way more than 1200, and you're a LOT less likely to gain it all back. Good luck!
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    LaurenAOK wrote: »
    I'm 5ft 6in. I had lost 7 pounds in 14 days. Maybe that's too much?

Yes, that is way too much.

A healthy weight loss is 1-2 pounds a week. 2 pounds a week is really only for people who are pretty overweight. If you don't have much to lose, 1 pound or even half a pound a week is a much better goal. Slow and steady wins the race!

Definitely increase your calories, you might see a gain at first but that's completely temporary due to increasing the amount of food. You can definitely lose weight eating way more than 1200, and you're a LOT less likely to gain it all back. Good luck!

If she keeps losing 3.5 lbs per week that is too much - but for the first 2 weeks it seems about normal as you can lose several pounds of just water weight at the beginning.

• misscaligreen
    misscaligreen Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I am on 1200 calories and I have plenty of food to keep me from feeling hungry. Physically anyways.... mental craving to want to eat more is a whole different story lol What do you typically eat in a day?
  • julianasutton
    julianasutton Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm glad I upped my caloric intake and I am taking my burned calories into account. I just can't 'diet' as a lifestyle if I can't eat hearty every few days.
  • rsmrodgers
    rsmrodgers Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Eat a lesser portion of 'real food'