Low carbs - high fat

Options
I eat between 1500-2000 calories per day of high fat, low carbs. I am very rarely (if ever) hungry. I eat delicious food and I have loads of energy, sleep really well and no longer have any form of mood swings. Oh and I have also lost 10 lbs in the past 3 weeks. Low carbs really works.

Replies

• fnoblebrown
    fnoblebrown Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Indeed it does; although I find it helps to have a little healthy carbohydrate especially if you're exercising.
  • KCash1111
    Options
    I just started back at low carb but also keeping track of calories to stay in line. Low carb is the only way of eating for me that doesn't leave me hungry every few hours. Hopefully I'll stick to it! Going to keep up with the forums for some encouragement :)
  • Mistizoom
    Mistizoom Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I eat low carb, high fat as well and have lost 92 lbs. to date. Please join fellow low carbers on the Low Carber Daily Forum http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group and keto groups: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1143-keto. Hope to see you there!
  • edwardryan8808
    edwardryan8808 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    How many grams daily do you all consider low carb?
  • angellak
    angellak Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Are you subtracting the fiber and that's how many carbs you are really having? Are you going by net carbs?
  • Mistizoom
    Options

Depends on the person. My goal is 35 g or fewer total carbs a day, though I range from 10-50 g/day. There is no hard and fast rule, but most people consider low carb to be 100 g or less per day, moderate carb up to 150 g/day. Many people do "keto" or very low carb which is certainly 50 g/day or less, often much less.
  • Mistizoom
    Options
    angellak wrote: »
    Are you subtracting the fiber and that's how many carbs you are really having? Are you going by net carbs?

Depends on the person. I look at both total and net carbs. Many people go with net carbs only (subtracting fiber).
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options

I'm at 22g(net) right now. When I'm in maintenance, I usually keep it around 35-40. I'm also full keto, not just low carb. Once I cross the threshold near 60, I get hungry. When I'm under 50, I don't feel hunger ever.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    angellak wrote: »

As I'm not American the question doesn't apply.
  • yarwell
    edited March 2015
    Options

<130 grams

"Carbohydrate restriction" I would say is between there and 50% of total calories.

Feinman made a better job of defining it in http://www.nutritionjrnl.com/article/S0899-9007(14)00332-3/abstract :-

Table 1
    Suggested definitions for different Forms of low-carbohydrate diets*
    Very low-carbohydrate ketogenic diet (VLCKD)
    Carbohydrate, 20–50 g/d or <10% of the 2000 kcal/d diet, whether or not ketosis occurs. Derived from levels of carbohydrate required to induce ketosis
    in most people.
    Recommended early phase (“induction”) of popular diets such as Atkins Diet or Protein Power.
    Low-carbohydrate diet: <130 g/d or <26% total energy
    The ADA definition of 130 g/d as its recommended minimum.
    Moderate-Carbohydrate Diet: 26%–45%
    Upper limit, approximate carbohydrate intake before the obesity epidemic (43%).
    High-Carbohydrate Diet: >45%
    Recommended target on ADA websites.
    The 2010 Dietary Guidelines for Americans recommends 45%–65% carbohydrate. The average American diet is estimated to be w49% carbohydrate.
    Carbohydrate Consumption (NHANES)y
    :
    Men
    1971–1974: 42% (w250 g for 2450 kcal/d)
    1999–2000: 49% (w330 g for 2600 kcal/d)
    Women
    1971–1974: 45% (w150 g for 1550 kcal/d)
    1999–2000: 52% (w230 g for 1900 kcal/d)
  • cherylmlane
    cherylmlane Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »

I'm at 22g(net) right now. When I'm in maintenance, I usually keep it around 35-40. I'm also full keto, not just low carb. Once I cross the threshold near 60, I get hungry. When I'm under 50, I don't feel hunger ever.

Hi, I am new to this, a few weeks on low carb so far abd feeling great. Can you summarize what ful keto means? I have read about it but do nit feel I have a great understanding. Thanks!
  • JPW1990
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »

Hi, I am new to this, a few weeks on low carb so far abd feeling great. Can you summarize what ful keto means? I have read about it but do nit feel I have a great understanding. Thanks!

To put it very simply, when you're in ketosis, your body processes fat for energy instead of carbs, and a byproduct of that is ketones. While in ketosis, you feel fuller longer after eating. For some people it simply means feeling satiety for hours longer than they would if they were eating carbs. In my case, for whatever reason, it's basically a permanent state. It's different for each person, just as the exact level where you go into ketosis is different for each person. I fall out around 50-60, others have to stay lower, others can go higher. Your body won't enter ketosis as long as there are enough carbs around to prevent it, which is why people differentiate between LC and keto when explaining what version they do.

If you want a more detailed explanation of how it works, I'd suggest reading this:
    http://www.reddit.com/r/keto/wiki/faq

And there's also info in the LCD group mistizoom linked up near the beginning.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    LCHF is awesome, but come to the sub-groups @Mistizoom linked to ... these topics often go sideways on the main boards.

I do 20-30 net carbs.
  • jddnw
    jddnw Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I'm growing keto curious. I eat about 2700 calories most days with around 40% from carbs, 40% from fat, and 20% from protein. I'm Not trying to lose weight. But, I do I like learning about new options for eating. I could use more energy. I have an energy deficit.

I'm trying to visualize what my plate would like if I took out the carbs. Can anyone give me some examples of 900 calorie, ketogenic meals?
  • JPW1990
    Options
    jddnw wrote: »
    I'm growing keto curious. I eat about 2700 calories most days with around 40% from carbs, 40% from fat, and 20% from protein. I'm Not trying to lose weight. But, I do I like learning about new options for eating. I could use more energy. I have an energy deficit.

I'm trying to visualize what my plate would like if I took out the carbs. Can anyone give me some examples of 900 calorie, ketogenic meals?

If you want to add me, you can check my diary for some that range 900-1200. I usually prepare one large meal a day, and divide it up into smaller portions through the day. It's easier to just log it all as one, though. It's a lot of salads with multiple proteins, frittatas, burgers (no bun, extra avocado). I also use avocado like a condiment, but that might just be an addiction issue. Ignore the week where I have entire meals logged as 1 tramadol, I gave up trying to log from being sick.
  • Mistizoom
    edited March 2015
    Options
    jddnw wrote: »

9 oz. ribeye topped with a tablespoon or two of butter. Yum.
    (feel free to add non-starchy vegetables if you like).
  • spittso
    spittso Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    My average day consists of a late breakfast of Avocado, bacon and scrambled egg. Lunch (if I'm hungry and feel I need it) is usually Salad, prawns, bacon and cream cheese. Supper is steak / salmon/ lamb with a small amount (70g) of green veg / cauliflower mash, with lots of butter or cream cheese. I usually don't feel hungry, but it does depend a little on how active I am every day. I also have a few cups of coffee a day with a teaspoon of cream in them.
    It definitely works for me and apart from a few days of cravings when I first gave up sugar, I am happy and full of energy all of the time.
  • curt40
    curt40 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Low carb is the way to go. Just calorie restriction doesnt work for me at all. Protein over a mountain of green veggies or salad and two eggs for breakfast and I have zero cravings throughout the day. I wish I did this years ago!
  • curt40
    curt40 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    The only issue is eating low carb is much more expensive than carbs. Any ideas on being more cost conscious? FYI, I am a terrible cook!
  • yarwell
    Options
    Higher fat meats and ground beef etc are cheaper, which helps a bit. Eggs aren't expensive. But processed industrial foods use cheaper ingredients than that.