LADIES- what do you do for exercise when you're on your period and feel like dirt??

Options
124»

Replies

• kmp327
    kmp327 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I agree with what others are saying. I usually only have one/one and a half heavy days, but I try to do my regularly scheduled workouts anyway, ESPECIALLY as I tend to indulge in cravings a bit more at this special time. I still make sure to track and drink TONS of water. A good time is to do your exercise as soon as you wake up - it's way too easy to make excuses throughout the day otherwise.

I actually find that working out sets me up better for the day at that TOM, my cramps and back soreness is not as pronounced. And make sure you pop that Ibuprofen, because that helps too!
  • beachbriel
    beachbriel Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    Pick out the worst days.....1 or 2. Do some light yoga, take a brisk walk. Rest days are good for your body. Workout as usual the other 5.
    This for me ^^ I have fibromyalgia and the very heavy periods that come with it. I also almost always get a flare right before, so I have to be careful not to knock myself out of commission. On the 1-2 days that it is insanely heavy, I just make it through my long work days , eat extra healthy, and rest. I find if I am not having a bad flare that I can strength train on these days at home to avoid any 'accidents' during my usual daily classes. I then push through and get back to my usual routine. Getting to the gym is extra tough, but it pays off for sure.

As I have lost body fat and continued to get healthier, my periods have gotten lighter (still heavy, and my flares a little shorter. I still get the pain, but there is nothing I can do about that really.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    I do the same routine.

I usually set PBs for some reason. Not because I feel amazing, I can tell you.

Maybe because the day before my stomach turns into a bottomless pit. I almost always eat more than I should, and it's always some kind of dessert. Shocker, right? Cakes, cookies, and ice cream FTW!
  • kpw818
    kpw818 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I take advil if its bad and just go. I run 4-5 days a week, so there isn't really any room for off days. I will try to avoid long or more intense runs on heavier days, but I've dealt with 10 miles and it wasn't too bad.
  • DarbiB
    DarbiB Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    If it's REALLY bad, and I mean REALLY VERY TERRIBLY BAD...I give myself a break. The body does need rest.

Other than that...business as usual. My gym does have a sauna though, so I'll make sure to spend some time there either before or after my normal work out if I'm feeling extra gross.
  • Brittany91389
    Brittany91389 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I do my workouts anyway, cardio and weight training. They'll make you feel better (most of the time) but if it helps I tend to avoid the treadmill and do spin instead. It's something about sitting down instead of jostling all over the place.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    I do my normal CrossFit routine. I may drag *kitten*, but I feel better afterwards.
  • CaramelLatte14
    CaramelLatte14 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Exercise really helps with cramps. I'm lucky enough that I usually don't feel any different during, but on the odd occasion that I feel crampy and like I might be sick if I move from the sofa, I find that some gentle yoga or pilates is enough to make me feel loads better, and much more able to do something more vigorous later on! Power through as best you can.
  • breens91
    breens91 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with some of the comments up here - I find it actually helps to go to the gym. Plus you can be proud that you made it to the gym despite the urge to be wa lazy bum at home and blame it on your period! At least that's what I tell myself haha!
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    Push through it and get to the gym. Do what you normally do. You'll feel better!
  • Pupslice
    Pupslice Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I try to at least go for a walk or do yoga, but if its really, RILLY bad, I take it easy and use that time to watch a movie or work a puzzle or read, something to take my mind off how cruddy I feel. Usually the exercise makes me feel better tho.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    If I feel like dirt? I'll throw myself on the ground curled up in a ball... waiting for the ground to just swallow me whole. LMAO!!

giphy.gif
  • CM9178
    CM9178 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    I pop some Midol and carry on with my life
  • lili61
    lili61 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I typically don't change up my workout routine at all. If I'm feeling really bad I'll try a brisk walk and then shoot for a normal workout after that if I'm feeling better. Most of the time once I start moving I feel better.
  • freefallebby
    freefallebby Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Extra caffeine... then work out even harder to vent those pent up feels, following with a hot epsom salt bath and treating myself to ice cream, muahahaha...
  • coloradogrrrl21
    coloradogrrrl21 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Wear comfy black clothes (you know, in case leaks) and just get about my business as usual. I may not perform as well as at other times, but practice makes progress regardless.