I don't like water. Will diet coke do instead?

Options
Pretty much as the subject says, I hate water! I have tried to drink it, but can only manage water when in the gym!

I figured drinking something is better than nothing.... right?

Replies

• VixFit2011
    VixFit2011 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    No on the coke. Try floating slices of orange, lemon , or cucumbers in nice chilled water. It gives a nice refreshing taste.
  • copperdave
    copperdave Posts: 146
    Options
    No to diet Coke!! You might want to try some flavored waters to make it a bit more palatable.
  • girlw00nder
    girlw00nder Posts: 15
    Options
    I'm terrible at drinking water. I only have 1-2 cups a day! Really trying to make an effort now to drink more. I'm a tea addict!

Good luck x
  • sd101483
    sd101483 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Pretty much as the subject says, I hate water! I have tried to drink it, but can only manage water when in the gym!

I figured drinking something is better than nothing.... right?

Soda is bad for you in any form, diet is esp bad. Nix the diet coke and add flavoring to water like the previous poster said - cucumbers, lemons, etc - crystal light packets. I find it helpful to have a big water bottle (mine is 20 oz) that you refill and keep with you - you'll find yourself drinking it and it doesn't seem so difficult to get your water consumption in. At very least drink 100% juice (no sugar added, no preservatives, etc) over the diet coke. Your body will thank you!
  • kopmom
    kopmom Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    I hate water too, even more with lemon or anything in it ! What is anyone thoughts on fresh brewed unsweet iced tea with sweet n low or splenda?
  • asilva3111
    asilva3111 Posts: 44
    Options
    Think about it. Water is clean, water has no additives. So, other than fruit juices 100%, not from concentrate, will have tons of additives and process junk that will make your liver and kidneys work extra hard. So, do you really think that Diet Coke is good for the body? All that carbonation and fake flavors? I am not saying I am a big water drinker, because I am making myself drink at least 6 cups a day, and very seldom I do reach the 8. Trust me, I used to drink just about anything rather than drinking water. But let me tell you from personal experience, I would say that also drinking water has helped me to loose weight. It keeps your muscles hydrated so when you exercise you don't get cramps. It even helps with headaches. I also know that because I have been suffering from headaches and migraines for just over 3 years now. I have to take pills at night so I don't get migraines. And water helps keeping your body hydrated.

So, ask yourself again, does this 0 Calorie, 0 everything that is not water with this good taste, because I do like Coke Zero, is it really healthy for me? How does it get that taste yet doesn't have calories, carbs, sugars, etc. Really? There is so much junk processed in there. The issue is that maybe what they are using is not part of the label that FDA requires, so we don't see it. Who knows how many products they have used to get it to taste the way it does, yet achieve the 0 across the board.

Maybe squeeze a lemon into your water to give it a bit of taste if you really don't like or can't like to drink water.

Good luck.
  • gatorbogey
    gatorbogey Posts: 2
    Options
    personally, that's my philosophy too: sub diet coke for 'water'. heck it's practically all water as it is.
    but some will argue it has some sodium in it. some don't like the caffeine - that's another reason that i drink it, though.
    some say the artificial sweetners are bad. i'm not one that buys into the insulin issue: the artificial sweetner molecules are different, while the 'sweet' may fool the receptors on the tongue i don't think they fit other receptors elsewhere (for the insulin to kick in....but apparently some research shows otherwise)...

as a compromise try alternating one diet coke w/ one large water everyday and see if you can start appreciating water again...
  • AnnieeR
    AnnieeR Posts: 229
    Options
    No. And I'd actually say no to all of the artificial flavourings. Water, well chilled, with citrus fruit slices and maybe some fresh herbs. Steer clear of the chemicals - you'll learn to crave water once it's become a habit....
  • sauza
    sauza Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    man up and drink the water, I used to hate it, seriously how can anyone hate water but I did, I got over it. I drink tons now.
  • purroxide
    purroxide Posts: 27
    Options
    2 words: diet cordial
  • countrymom1
    countrymom1 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    No, to the diet coke. I was a diet coke drinker, and I started drinking water - (blech!) - but some of my daily intake of water I did with Crystal Light and gradually you just get used to drinking water.
  • Hydromom
    Hydromom Posts: 2
    Options
    I hate water too but since I started adding lemon to it, I can drink upwards to 10 glasses a day. You can add some flavoring to it, but be prepared to add calories onto your daily intake.
  • Remi79
    Remi79 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I bought a 32 ounce cup with a straw that I drink out of way more than if I had to unscrew the cap. Try that, then when it's almost gone, you go fill it back up, it becomes routine. I'm up to over 96 ounces a day and used to maybe only drink 8 ounces.

Diet pop was just on the news that it's almost worse for you than normal pop.
  • wheelieblade
    wheelieblade Posts: 323
    Options
    I drink coke zero but that's in addition to my 8 a day of water. Am also a tea addict, herbal, regular, lemon yep I'm addicted.
  • Purple_Orchid_87
    Purple_Orchid_87 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    i make weak squash, 100ml of squash in every 1.5ltrs of water
    tesco double concentrate no added sugar squash works out at being around 100kcals per 100ml
    no added sugar
    made with fruit juice
    and less artificial sweetener per 100ml than diet sodas
  • Tracenspace
    Tracenspace Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Try the flavored waters. I love them.
  • jojojor
    jojojor Posts: 24
    Options
    No!! Keep drinking water and perservering its so worth it to learn to like it!
  • Carolyn_T
    Carolyn_T Posts: 33
    Options
    So,.... it's a no!

I'll try and drink cordials more and ween myself off it! I liek the idea of having a cup with a straw... I like straws!
    I'll "man up"... but after this pint of diet cola!

My last one!

i'll try!
  • Swimgoddess
    Swimgoddess Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I was able to quit soda 5 years ago by switching to lemonade, then sugar-free 10 calorie lemonade, then water with lemon, then to plain old ice water. Seems to me a more seamless transition than coke to diet coke to water. Now I can't stand the bloated feeling carbonated drinks give me... Yuck!
  • stephie157
    stephie157 Posts: 1
    Options
    My husband and I love the Great Value brand of crystal light, makes water much much tastier. I also stock up on the quart size bottles of the Clearly American flavored & carbonated water from walmart. For me it's the carbonation in soda that I love, and this hit's the spot. They have some really great flavors too!