Women, Stress, Eating Disorders, and Knitting.

Options
50452 Posts: 170 Member
This is an article from yahoo, but it struck a cord with me.

https://yahoo.com/makers/happiness-is-a-needle-and-thread-away-the-mental-113527012940.html

Sometimes, I can't get out of my own head. I think might take up knitting. :)

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Lurrve that article. Great find.
    As an added bonus, repetitive activities like knitting is retained even for Alzheimer's patients.
    https://www.ted.com/talks/alanna_shaikh_how_i_m_preparing_to_get_alzheimer_s

Have you seen arm knitting?
    http://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-Arm-Knitted-Infinity-Scarf/
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i can knit a scarf.

its the only ting i can make. LOL
    Options
    I've resisted learning how to knit because I don't want that "old lady" look. @jgnatca, I'm going to check out your links.
  • dnamouse
    dnamouse Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I crochet, I'm too slow at knitting and it causes more stress lol :smile:
  • kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    If you do take up knitting (or crochet) check out Ravelry.com tons of free patterns and even more patterns to buy plus forums for help and chat. I'm not real active there right now, but my user name is the same. My project page has most of the stuff I've made.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    50452 wrote: »
    I've resisted learning how to knit because I don't want that "old lady" look. @jgnatca, I'm going to check out your links.

That is a very out-of-date image you have of knitting. I belong to the biggest knitting community ( internet ) there is and the average age of a knitter there is 36 years and a few month. Not exactly the " old lady " image you mention.
    Now, I am going on 70 and knit, but I don't care what people think, because knitting keeps me sane, plus it is one of my creative outlets. I started when I was about 5 years old and I am still going strong.

• tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    Knitting is awesome. Most of the women in my family used to knit, they all know how to see really well, and my grandma s great at crocheting. I don't have the patience, myself, I'd rather destress at the gym. Which is fine but there are no pretty sweaters at the end of it.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I have been knitting for over 10 years now. I love it so much I regret that I didn't learn it earlier in my life. It reduces stress, provides an outlet for intellectual and creativity pursuits, and prevents boredom eating. I participate in several knitting communities and have made lots of friends. I can definitely recommend it. Many of the people in my group are in their 20's. Some men too.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    *SEW
  • Ellaskat
    Ellaskat Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I knit. I'm 36; took it up at 32. Love it. Best way to occupy a long train commute.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    50452 wrote: »

Oh, no! Yarn crafts are definitely not just for "old ladies". Our university even has a knitting and crocheting club. Those young adults make some really awesome stuff.

Even my brother (he's definitely a "man's man"--ex military and all that) crochets for stress relief. He favors sci-fi related crocheting--Star Wars, Firefly, etc. characters and pillows and such. He puts my plain old scarves, hats, and socks abilities to shame, lol.
  • Ellaskat
    Ellaskat Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Also... I'm also on ravelry,but not very active.... I taught myself to knit using youtube videos. Do yourself a favor and learn continental knitting. It's a million times faster.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I knit and crochet. I'm bi-stitchual. ;) It keeps me from eating while watching TV because I don't want to get food on my beautiful yarn! And for the record, all four of my kids knit and/or crochet and none of them are even legal to drink yet.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    I use knitting to survive all the waiting room time when I have to take someone to the doctor or dentist. It's really fun at the pediatrician appointments when toddlers stop dead in their tracks and just stare at the needles moving.
    Options
    kristydi wrote: »
    If you do take up knitting (or crochet) check out Ravelry.com tons of free patterns and even more patterns to buy plus forums for help and chat. I'm not real active there right now, but my user name is the same. My project page has most of the stuff I've made.

I will. Thanks!

I've been looking at pictures online (not many) and have yet to find one where the illustration is good enough to understand. I'm sure I'll find something, though.
    Ang108 wrote: »

That is a very out-of-date image you have of knitting.

Oh, no! Yarn crafts are definitely not just for "old ladies".

I know, and I'm properly ashamed.

I just need to get past it. I'm projecting my notions onto my husband, I guess. I don't want him to walk into a room and see me knitting and watching TV and think, "I married my grandmother."
    Our university even has a knitting and crocheting club. Those young adults make some really awesome stuff.

Even my brother (he's definitely a "man's man"--ex military and all that) crochets for stress relief. He favors sci-fi related crocheting--Star Wars, Firefly, etc. characters and pillows and such. He puts my plain old scarves, hats, and socks abilities to shame, lol.

That sounds awesome.
    tomatoey wrote: »
    *SEW

I actually do sew. Not well, but I do love it. Next week I plan on cleaning and organizing the room with all my sewing supplies. Right now, that room is my sewing room/junk room/brooder room for my baby chicks. (Chicks are cool B) )
    I knit and crochet. I'm bi-stitchual. ;) It keeps me from eating while watching TV because I don't want to get food on my beautiful yarn! And for the record, all four of my kids knit and/or crochet and none of them are even legal to drink yet.

Ha! You made me laugh out loud.
  • brendak76
    brendak76 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I taught myself to knit last year after a surgery when I was in bed a couple of weeks afterwards. From YouTube videos. I started from square one and I just loved it. After a bit I sat with a friend one afternoon and she helped me with some trouble spots and how to read a pattern. I can't make anything too fancy and wish I had more time to do it, but thanks for the reminder to pick it back up again. It helps with the late night snacking.
  • Smallc10
    Smallc10 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Knitting is awesome!!! I'm only 27 and always have a knitting bag with me, I don't think it makes me look old at all. It is so therapeutic and helps me relax and gets me through stress without turning to food. You can't eat when you have a needle in each of your hands! ;)
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options
    My fingers are too stupid to knit or crochet. My mother attempted to teach all of us at one point. My sisters can knit and crochet, I never got the hang of it. But I can sew both by hand and machine, so!
  • MzShelleRenea
    MzShelleRenea Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Knitting is great! I highly recommend it. knittinghelp.com is a great website with tons of video tutorials. I basically lived there the 1st month I was learning to knit.
    Options
    misskarne wrote: »
    My fingers are too stupid to knit or crochet.

Ha. Funny :D
    Knitting is great! I highly recommend it. knittinghelp.com is a great website with tons of video tutorials. I basically lived there the 1st month I was learning to knit.

Thanks.