I hate measuring

Options

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Adam2k10 wrote: »
    I can understand what you're saying with regards to not wanting to measure but the logic you are using becomes flawed if you enjoy such things as peanut butter, 30g can look very similar to 50g when spread across toast or bread but there is 200+ calories worth of difference there.
    For some people that would actually take away their daily deficit.

I highly recommend weighing what you consume, unless you only log things that are in packets and pre-weighed for you. Otherwise you diary may as well be guesswork!

All the same, I wish you the best with whichever path you choose!

Adam

Yep peanut butter and the like are biggies, as are breakfast cereals.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    jt880 wrote: »
    Flat doesn't always work for some foods steel cut oats comes to mind its usually way below the top on my measuring cup all the time this is why I go by weight and not the top of the cup.

Even so, for most things, measuring cups are better than eyeballing if the person doesn't have access to a scale.

OP, I second using a digital scale that you can tare out as you add food. It makes things a lot easier.
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Actually taxes are totally voluntary there is no law on the books that says you have to look it up.

Yer funny.

Educate yourself, or go to prison for your ignorance. You can claim "no law" all you want as they slap on the cuffs, seize all of your assets, and put you on the bus to prison.

It doesn't matter to me - I'm laughing either way, right?

BTW - I cite my source: Straight from irs.gov.

Your "look it up" is Argumentum ad Ignorantum of the highest order, Bro.

You don't have to pay the taxes, but you do have to suffer the consequences of not paying your taxes.

I hate the government at much as the next guy but the people that claim there is no law mandating the payment of income taxes are following an urban myth. But let's not hijack this post am I right?
  • Eudoxy
    Eudoxy Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Yeah don't know how that would work (maybe that guy lives in Greece?). I don't wanna be the only one paying! Lol
  • Lefty1290
    Lefty1290 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I like the structure that weighing/measuring accurately provides. My mom would hate it doing it; it's too tedious for her. My family makes fun of me for weighing pretty much everything, but whatever. I'm terrible at estimating. It's gotten me results and I see how easily portion control can get out of hand.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I love weighing

But then I'm a numbers geek :)
  • Eudoxy
    Eudoxy Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I admit I don't weigh lettuce. I have a 1 cup entry I hit whenever I have it.

I resisted a scale for a long time, but it is way easier than measuring, just put a plate on there and re-tare it every time you add something.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Generally, the closer you get to goal, the more careful you have to be. There is a smaller margin of error. But if you don't feel the need to weigh, then don't.

I don't weigh "every morsel" that goes into my mouth, but I do find that when cooking and portioning things, especially higher calorie items, weighing and measuring just makes things easier and more accurate. Most people suck at guesstimating...
  • tryanother
    tryanother Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    OCD Alert!!! Every shop I walk into, I see it... Bright, colourful measuring cups and spoons. I have to have them. (Never mind the fact that I already have a drawer dedicated to MY CUPS). The pretty scales with lots of buttons. Yes, I have to have these too. I HATE dishing up from a bowl of food where others have dished up for them, thus I make almost everything possible in single servings. My mom hated me at my wedding as I insisted on all wedding food being single servings. Trust me, even pumpkin pie can be made in a muffin pan for single servings. Did I say 'single servings' too many times?
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Give it a few months, and you will stop losing and you will wonder why.

Seriously - would you rather stay fat or weight/measure your food?
  • DoneWorking
    DoneWorking Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Not weighing/measuring is what got me back to where I am. Weighing/measuring is what's gonna get me back to where I was.
  • KnM0107
    KnM0107 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I have never even owned a food scale. I personally didn't need to.
    dakotababy wrote: »
    Give it a few months, and you will stop losing and you will wonder why.

Seriously - would you rather stay fat or weight/measure your food?
    Will count calories in here but to weigh and measure every single morsel that goes onto my plate is so damn boring, anyone else feel the same? Plus I think its obsessive. Still managing to lose the weight without it though :) Usually measure portions by hand.

Well..this is a site for people who do fitness and weight loss by counting / weighing their calories.

So maybe you have to find some other options/sites?
    FFS everyone doesn't have to weigh their food to be successful. Plus she is logging, so what is your point? Mfp doesn't even have such a narrow view of this site.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    You don't have to weigh everything to lose weight. Do some people find it helpful? Yes. But I think some of the people who promote it as the solution for every problem are obsessive about it. Food doesn't have a constant number of calories per ounce, but to hear them talk, you would think it did. I think most people would be better off if they didn't weigh so much, because we all eat in so many places where someone else prepared the food. Our weight loss and weight maintenance should use a system that makes it possible to eat in normal situations without stressing over not knowing how many calories are in the food.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    runnrchic wrote: »
    Once you plateau you will want to start weighing. Just wait...

they nearly always come to the dark side.... after much whining..........
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Actually taxes are totally voluntary there is no law on the books that says you have to look it up.

yeah, thats why the state took $300 out of my bank account. for not paying that ' voluntary' tax.... :/

Yer funny.

Educate yourself, or go to prison for your ignorance. You can claim "no law" all you want as they slap on the cuffs, seize all of your assets, and put you on the bus to prison.

It doesn't matter to me - I'm laughing either way, right?

Laugh.gif

BTW - I cite my source: Straight from irs.gov.

Your "look it up" is Argumentum ad Ignorantum of the highest order, Bro.

You don't have to pay the taxes, but you do have to suffer the consequences of not paying your taxes.

then its not REALLY voluntary, is it? I mean, I could rob a bank, but there are consequences.....
  • mzjenn2u
    mzjenn2u Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    i like it....makes me feel like im in control
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I do weigh pretty much everything now, but I lost 66lbs after my 2nd baby and didn't weigh much at all. I'm losing after my 3rd baby now and I am being strict with weighing, and guess what? I'm losing weight no faster than when I didn't weigh everything. So, do what works for you!
  • Ellaskat
    Ellaskat Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    If you've just started counting, and you have a decent amount of weight to lose, it's possible to lose some pounds without weighing food. That is because you are consciously trying to eat less and you are being successful at that. But eventually as you lose weight, your deficit becomes smaller and there is less room for error. You'll get used to weighing, it's not that bad. I think it's fun...kind of.
    Not necessarily. I am 5'6, started at 148, down to 134 in 9 weeks. I haven't weighed a thing. I'm not opposed to weighing- if I stopped losing for over 6 weeks or started gaining, I would weigh. But that hasn't been necessary for me. I measure with measuring cups etc, whichiknow is not accurate, but neither is my base metabolism- it's really just a guess based on what most people are like.

• TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I'm not opposed to [other people] weighing either. What I am opposed to is people telling people that the reason they aren't losing weight is because they aren't weighing everything. I think weighing food can help people realize that they've been recording the wrong portion sizes, but there are other causes of a zero calorie deficit that weighing food won't fix.
  • meremaid2014
    Options
    I think the measuring is sort of fun. And it's really eye-opening. I'm not a super-religious calorie counter, and when I eat in restaurants or at friend's homes I don't sweat it. But when I'm cooking, and inputting recipes into MFP, I actually measure or weigh everything. Trust me, estimating is not accurate! Everybody has already listed the ways to make measuring easier. When I cook a recipe, I serve myself in 1/4, 1/2, or 1 cup servings (a combination of the two, depending on how much I want). Then when I put the leftovers away, I use the measuring cups again. So let's say I make chili, and the recipe made 8 cups. I input the recipe as having "8 servings" then if I eat 1.5 cups of it, I just log it as "1.5 servings." Using measuring cups instead of other ladles and spoons is really helpful, keeps me from loading up on rice/pasta and eating more of the meat and veggies (which is what I need, you may be different). I mean, they're already dirty from cooking anyway, why get another ladle dirty when you have a perfectly good cup measure ready to use!