Help! No weight loss after 3 years trying.

Options
1235»

Replies

• lilig81
    lilig81 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    A question though, how do you weigh and then log liquid items that are not water?

If you're in the UK which I'm guessing you are by what you are eating, you can go to argos and get yourself a weighing jug for 13 squid! I take it with me everywhere - well within reason! I believe the make is hanson and it does kgs/lbs and liquid measures of oil, milk and water!!! great little buy

From looking at your diary on Wednesday last week I noticed that you had the pasta bake sauce but didn't log the amount of pasta that you ate - little mistakes like that will cost you - but you really need to be more accurate with your calculating - if you're going to round up - make it higher not lower - eg. 46 grms become 50grms not 45!!! that way you know you're eating a deficit. and don't eat your exercise calories if you're just walking the dog :) you need your heart rate to go up for it to be classed as exercise - or at least that's how I do it!

• MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Ttec72 wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    How consistent have you been and are you now? If there's one thing I've noticed with some of the people I work with who have this issue it is that they'll do pretty good say Monday through Thursday...and decent on Friday...and pretty much blow it up on the weekend and they aren't losing weight.

They aren't gaining weight, but they aren't losing weight either...and in many instanced I have noticed that it comes down to this consistency factor. Usually if I can get them and keep them on track consistently for a few weeks, voila...and that's usually when they see the light.

It's easy to tell ourselves, "hey...I've been pretty good all week, I'm just going to let it all hang out on the weekend." But often, this is the difference between steadily losing weight and just maintaining or losing/gaining those same 5 Lbs or whatever.

I'm kinda the opposite, being what I thought was good and then not eating enough at the weekend. I work 11 hour days, five days a week, so when the weekend comes around I want to be out and about and end up missing meals.

Do you end up missing drinks as well? :) Those have calories, too
  • Ttec72
    Ttec72 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Ravachu wrote: »
    Keep checking the calorie details on the package with the database entries on MFP. A lot of the products are Americanised and the calories can be lower/higher here in the UK. Be sure to select the brand you are using (eg: Tesco Semi-Skimmed Milk) and measure your serving then cross reference the calories the package says with the database. If the calories are inaccurate, change the database entry or create your own.
    I can't tell you how many entries I've had to create myself because of database inaccuracies! It seems like a lot of effort but eventually you'll be selecting entries you know are accurate if you consume similar items every day (like milk).
    Just don't lose hope - tighten up your logging and keep up with staying active. You can do it!

Thanks for the advice about creating foods, didn't realise you could do that, and for the positive thoughts. :smiley:
  • Ttec72
    Options
    isulo_kura wrote: »
    So OP despite all the great advice about your inaccurate logging. I don't think you're still getting it. You have for your breakfast today logged 2 rashers of bacon. So a rasher can be many sizes and many types. Is it back bacon or streaky bacon. How much does it weigh? As people have said numerous times on this thread weigh all your sold foods and measure liquids then pick accurate appropriate entries from the database. if you don't do this your food diary is just guess work

Agreed I did not get the best start this morning, was very rushed with my chores before getting out the door (we are having some new furniture today), when I get home this evening, I will weigh the next two rashers of bacon from the same packet and adjust this mornings data and also select the correct type. I think I will also add 25% to make sure I over-estimate the calorie intake.

Thanks for the critique, it is what I need. :smile:
  • Ttec72
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Looking back a couple of months, there were often times you weren't even logging, therefore you're inconsistent. Additionally, lots of generic entries, don't use these they aren't accurate. If you want to really lose, eat in a deficit.

My original post does say that logging foods was sporadic at best in the past, but I have been making a concious effort to log as accurately as possible (which I haven't achieved yet) on as many days as possible.

What I'm learning is that the database entries are probably wrong and coupled with my poor measuring, this is where the problem is.
  • Ttec72
    Options
    mokaiba wrote: »
    Hi All,

This is my first post here, so be kind, and apologies if I have posted in the wrong place. Way back in 2012 I was not happy with my weight and body image, and having been inspired by a work colleagues progress, decided to do something about it.

The first thing I tried was increasing my fitness level, after some research I discovered the Couch to 5K programme approved by the NHS, so I started running a couple of times a week and within a short time I was running 5K on a regular basis.

At the same time I kept an eye on what I was eating, using the advice on many of these posts 'eat less, do more' assuming weight loss would follow. It didn't.

Over the years I have tried all sorts of activities, running was causing me pain from a previous knee injury, joining a gym, cross trainer (lower impact), lifting weights etc. without any results.

I started this journey weighing in at 100Kg, which is where I am now. Obviously I am very frustrated not seeing any results after more than 3 years after exercising regularly and eating well, during which time I have been sporadically logging my foods, however for the past 4 or 5 weeks I have been logging every day, most days under my calorie goal, and I still have not lost any weight.

I was hoping someone may have an idea why my weight loss hasn't happened.

I do weigh all my food, and also log everything I eat, even if it's not that good for me. I have turned my diary on to 'Public', so you should be able to see all the entries.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Tony

lower carbs, increase protein. I see too many 30-40g protein days.

Agreed, I have noticed recently (now I have some consistent logging over a few weeks) that my protein levels are usually low and carbs are high. Yesterday I changed the goal setting for carbs from 50% to 25%, which then increases my protein requirements, effectively setting a lower carb diet goal.

Now we have some lighter evenings I can get cycling more often, so my exercise levels will increase (I rarely run anymore as it causes knee pain, from a previous injury).
  • Ttec72
    Options
    lilig81 wrote: »
    A question though, how do you weigh and then log liquid items that are not water?

If you're in the UK which I'm guessing you are by what you are eating, you can go to argos and get yourself a weighing jug for 13 squid! I take it with me everywhere - well within reason! I believe the make is hanson and it does kgs/lbs and liquid measures of oil, milk and water!!! great little buy

From looking at your diary on Wednesday last week I noticed that you had the pasta bake sauce but didn't log the amount of pasta that you ate - little mistakes like that will cost you - but you really need to be more accurate with your calculating - if you're going to round up - make it higher not lower - eg. 46 grms become 50grms not 45!!! that way you know you're eating a deficit. and don't eat your exercise calories if you're just walking the dog :) you need your heart rate to go up for it to be classed as exercise - or at least that's how I do it!

The reason for my question was to do with logging accuracy for liquids, weighing or measuring? The specific gravity of milk (taking the example from before) is 1.05, which means that 300ml of milk actually weighs 315g, while this is only a small error for this liquid, the specific gravity is different for other liquids, so the error could be significant.

In terms of the pasta bake, clearly I have made an assumption that the database entry is correct for the whole meal, logging that only. Something I am learning to rectify.

Great tip about not eating exercise calories for lower levels of activity, I had been eating back my exercise calories every time, following the advice on MFP. I take a walk every at lunch (when I am in the office), I won't eat these calories back from now on, however, I am off out on the bike this evening, so will eat a proportion of those calories back.

Thanks for your help :smile:
  • Ttec72
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    How consistent have you been and are you now? If there's one thing I've noticed with some of the people I work with who have this issue it is that they'll do pretty good say Monday through Thursday...and decent on Friday...and pretty much blow it up on the weekend and they aren't losing weight.

They aren't gaining weight, but they aren't losing weight either...and in many instanced I have noticed that it comes down to this consistency factor. Usually if I can get them and keep them on track consistently for a few weeks, voila...and that's usually when they see the light.

It's easy to tell ourselves, "hey...I've been pretty good all week, I'm just going to let it all hang out on the weekend." But often, this is the difference between steadily losing weight and just maintaining or losing/gaining those same 5 Lbs or whatever.

I'm kinda the opposite, being what I thought was good and then not eating enough at the weekend. I work 11 hour days, five days a week, so when the weekend comes around I want to be out and about and end up missing meals.

I do miss drinks, all sense of normality (I've never been normal) seems to disappear when the weekend arrives, missing drinks and food.

I very rarely drink alcohol, having to drive for a living restricts this, most of my drinks will be tea or coffee, however, I have also started to reduce these and swapping them for water or weak squash. It is a good point about logging everything.
  • jaimecondo
    jaimecondo Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Your diet is all wrong, way to much processed food in your diet. if you cut that out and add more veggies, fruit and healthy carbs you will lose. Instead of the sugar cereal for breakfast eat plain oatmeal with fresh fruit. Instead of the processed meat make fish or lean chicken or pork.
  • SwankyTomato
    SwankyTomato Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Looking back a couple of months, there were often times you weren't even logging, therefore you're inconsistent. Additionally, lots of generic entries, don't use these they aren't accurate. If you want to really lose, eat in a deficit.

My original post does say that logging foods was sporadic at best in the past, but I have been making a concious effort to log as accurately as possible (which I haven't achieved yet) on as many days as possible.

What I'm learning is that the database entries are probably wrong and coupled with my poor measuring, this is where the problem is.

Oh yea, I call it tweaking.

What is really hard when you eat out, you have no idea how many actual calories are in something.

Just keep at it and eventually you will begin to get better. If that does not help, maybe lowering your calorie goal a smidge might help.

• MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options

I do miss drinks, all sense of normality (I've never been normal) seems to disappear when the weekend arrives, missing drinks and food.

I very rarely drink alcohol, having to drive for a living restricts this, most of my drinks will be tea or coffee, however, I have also started to reduce these and swapping them for water or weak squash. It is a good point about logging everything.

To be honest, my follow up question is how long have you been doing the diligent logging? Sometimes you can be doing everything right and it takes time to see results on the scale. Like up to four to six weeks sometimes

Hope you can get things sorted out. You should be able to eat and drink things that make you happy within reason :)
  • Ttec72
    Options

To be honest, my follow up question is how long have you been doing the diligent logging? Sometimes you can be doing everything right and it takes time to see results on the scale. Like up to four to six weeks sometimes

Hope you can get things sorted out. You should be able to eat and drink things that make you happy within reason :)

I have been logging almost all days for the past 6 weeks, however, the previous posts have identified that I am not logging accurately and this needs to change. Admittedly I did not get the best start this morning, not weighing my bacon and then leaving my carefully prepared and weighed salad lunch in the fridge!
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    jaimecondo wrote: »
    Your diet is all wrong, way to much processed food in your diet. if you cut that out and add more veggies, fruit and healthy carbs you will lose. Instead of the sugar cereal for breakfast eat plain oatmeal with fresh fruit. Instead of the processed meat make fish or lean chicken or pork.

No. All that matters for weight loss is the deficit.

For body composition and general health, the quality as well as the quantity need to be considered.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    You're kidding yourself. It's that simple.

At 100kg you need to be about 1800 Kcal net a day to lose 1.5 pounds a week.

Suck it up and drop your calorie intake.

this bugs me, sorry. but a kcal is higher than a cal.

1 cal = 1 food calorie
    1 kcal = 1000 food calories

side note,
    1 kJ (kilojoule) = unit of energy (roughly 5kJ = 1 food cal)

Not quite.

In the scientific community, 1 kcal = 1000 cal = 1 Cal. If you're going by strict form, lowercase cal is a gram calorie, not a food calorie. Uppercase Cal is the food/nutritional calorie.

In the non-scientific/casual community people either don't know that Cal != cal, or just don't bother to capitalize because it is understood that we're dealing solely with nutritional calories here.

When I first started posting, I always capitalized or used kcal until I realized I was the only one. So now I don't bother.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options

I have been logging almost all days for the past 6 weeks, however, the previous posts have identified that I am not logging accurately and this needs to change. Admittedly I did not get the best start this morning, not weighing my bacon and then leaving my carefully prepared and weighed salad lunch in the fridge!

I didn't weigh my bacon, or my eggs, or the banana, or the stuff I bought for dinner, but I'll still lose weight this week, because I'm eating light enough to lose weight.
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    You're kidding yourself. It's that simple.

At 100kg you need to be about 1800 Kcal net a day to lose 1.5 pounds a week.

Suck it up and drop your calorie intake.

this bugs me, sorry. but a kcal is higher than a cal.

1 cal = 1 food calorie
    1 kcal = 1000 food calories

side note,
    1 kJ (kilojoule) = unit of energy (roughly 5kJ = 1 food cal)

To be precise, what is generally reported are actually kcals. So, for example, a banana might contain 120 kcals. If you capitalize Calorie then that means kcal. So 1,000 calories = 1 kcal = 1 Calorie.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    runnrchic wrote: »
    You have a lot of processed foods in your diary. I bet if you started making more stuff from scratch you would see better results. I know I feel a lot better overall if I eat homemade fries versus store-bought fries. You'll find that you won't have to eat as much of the whole food to feel full either, because you'll be giving your body better nutrients. Try to eat more leafy greens and vegetables, and less breads. Keep sugary foods out of the house, for a couple weeks to start just to see if that makes a difference. If you need carby foods try having oats, potatoes or rice. High-sodium meats also make me super bloated, which can mask any progress I've made because of the water retention. And if you can afford it, get a FitBit. Maybe you aren't burning as many calories as you think you are in a day, so what you are eating is keeping you at maintenance instead of weight loss.

What would the difference be between homemade fried potatoes and fried potatoes that I paid someone else to prepare for me?

From what I read it would make her feel better, possibly less lethargic...which is a reason to do it in my book.

I still am not clear how the act of paying someone else to prepare food for you will result in lethargy or not feeling well.

Take away shops tend to use more salt and fat, and their portion sizes are usually larger than what we would have at home. That's my interpretation...

As a general observation, it's a pretty good one.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

I didn't weigh my bacon, or my eggs, or the banana, or the stuff I bought for dinner, but I'll still lose weight this week, because I'm eating light enough to lose weight.

Have you been stalled in your weight loss for three years?

I understand that you don't weigh and it works for you, but many of us don't have the ability to accurately tell portion size just by eyeballing/measuring cups. Given that this user is stalled, are you telling them not to weigh?