How Many Fitness Friends Do You Really Need???

Options
The reason I enlist friends is to create a little wind behind my sail. It's sometimes hard, especially when you have a lot of weight to lose, to go it alone. Everyone could use a pat on the back, a job well done, a little advice to make the weight loss journey a little easier.
Unfortunately I find that many collect friends just to add numbers to their already long list of friends or maybe they just don't know how to say No to a request. Really though, how good a friend can you be when you have so many friends that you can't make a real impact on their weight loss journey. Is six enough? Is twelve too many. How many friends do you have and how many do you actually make real comments on and not just click the like tab?
Are you being a force of good for the friends you have? You've agreed to be their friends, are you truly being one?

Replies

• Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    This should go well.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    None

We are all making our own journeys - mine is not successful because of my 'friends' and I'm pretty sure they aren't successful because I like or comment on a post in a private window

I don't get this "motivate me", I need friends

I think people need commitment

And I think if people interest, amuse or entertain you and you want them as friends in a private space to have private conversations then you should

But I do not need Whoops and PomPoms .. I just need my own commitment
  • CindyRoseMarie
    CindyRoseMarie Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    This should go well.

Never be afraid to speak your mind :)
  • hollyrayburn
    hollyrayburn Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    But who are we to determine what others do with their life? If they enjoy the support, so be it. If they enjoy the "numbers" so be it.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Personally, since I talk to just about all of my friends (I have a couple I like to read the information they provide on their pages), I'm going to say 106. I don't even generally look in my queue anymore, because I don't like declining, thus I have more FR now than I do friends.
  • GatesOfDelirium
    Options
    I have culled my friends list to those whom I feel are interested in my journey and I in theirs. I try and comment on everyone's postings but so many were 'like' collectors and thought this was Facebook.
    I do not need another's pat on the back but it is lovely to have one regardless. Friendship breeds motivation and sometimes a competitive edge. I have great friends here who do support me and offer advice.
    True you do not need friends but a journey without them is a lonely one.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Nunya
  • Leana088
    Leana088 Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    Some people FR me. I never FR someone else, because I'm not active on my news feed, just on the forums. I also tell people this if I accept their requests. They shouldn't expect me to comment on any of their news feed updates.

Personally the only friend I want right now, is an actual one that can go to the gym with me, but in this town, that ain't happening. So I got a PT.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I don't absolutely have to have friends. I do find others efforts inspiring though.
    I'd say I could keep up with 20 - 30 people max.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    20% of the friend-list provide 80% of the interaction. You just don't know a priori which 20%.

And it's a dynamic changing process.

I rarely say no to a FR - because I'm open to explore an interaction that might be nothing more than random pixels on my screen, or become an acquaintance, or an on-line friend, or something deeper and more valuable. People drop out and move on. Some are a true loss, many others barely register.

However, I certainly don't waste my time evaluating how many people others should have on their friend list.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I don't have any on here. I have a few IRL friends I talk fitness with occasionally, but mostly I just do it on my own.

I talk food A LOT, but it's mostly about growing it, not eating it.
  • troutrouter
    Options
    How many friends do you need to get fit or achieve weight loss? None. It's your personal responsibility and accountability that will allow you to succeed or fail.
  • Ethos_
    Ethos_ Posts: 2
    Options
    At least 9,000
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i dont NEED any. i thin my list down regularly of ones who never interact with me. I ENJOY my friends, but that is different than need.

• Lonestar5775
    Lonestar5775 Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    I like about 15 - 20. Really, a dozen who are close makes this so much more enjoyable but that's just me. Good luck to you!
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    I don't need any and don't have any. I kicked all of my friends off not too long ago because I was getting the sad, "poor me" posts, and I have no patience for that.
  • terar21
    terar21 Posts: 523 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I guess I have a pretty large list. But I think a good bit of mine are fairly inactive. I interact with all of my friends in some way. Some I'm closer with.

I suppose I could eliminate the ones who become inactive but I figure they might come back so there's no point in deleting them since it's not like their inactivity affects me. I do prefer friends who share common interest or workout routines because I prefer to turn to my friends list for advice rather than the forums. I also have a good chunk of my list that I'm friends with and talk to on a regular basis outside of MFP. So I can't exactly remove them from my list just because they're inactive.

I'm not really looking for a cheerleader. I do personally enjoy motivating people! So I don't mind a larger list.

ETA: I am pretty set on my list not and don't accept many request...for some reason I'm seeing a lot of requests lately from people with some...issues...with their eating habits. I love to motivate, but I can't really support daily cries over an extra banana.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    The answer is different for everyone. I enjoy seeing other people's successes and do find that motivating. It also is somewhat reassuring to see people having the same issues that I do. And maybe getting a great suggestion to solve said problem.

Also, I'm much more likely to post a question to my friends than open it up to anyone with an opinion in the forums. There are some people posting in the forum that I just don't want their opinion.
  • Altagracia220
    Altagracia220 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    I am guilty of accepting any requests for sure. Maybe I should stop or filter who I let be my friend. Every now and then I will delete some inactive profiles or friends.