How Many Fitness Friends Do You Really Need???

Options

Replies

• 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    This should go well.

I have just over 20 - most in maintenance, most older, all women, most physically fit in addition to active. I'm probably most in touch with about a dozen.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    i dont NEED any. i thin my list down regularly of ones who never interact with me. I ENJOY my friends, but that is different than need.

This describes me. I have a very few I regularly interact with and they, for the most part, are the first ones I got when I came on here and are similar in age and goals to me. We have common interests, maybe health related maybe not, and discuss other stuff. One is my sister from another mister since we have tons of things in common and I feel like I have made an actual friend with her, not just a cyber friend.

• tat2cookie
    tat2cookie Posts: 1,902 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I like having friends on here, but I don't NEED to have friends on here in order to succeed. I enjoy seeing the news feed and cheering on the good things and encouraging others who are struggling. I like chatting with like minded people. When my friends lose weight or get in a good workout that helps encourage me to work harder. When all is said and done, yes it's MY responsibility to get my workouts done and make sure I eat well, but it's nice to feel like I'm not doing it alone.
  • dalem48
    dalem48 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    None

We are all making our own journeys - mine is not successful because of my 'friends' and I'm pretty sure they aren't successful because I like or comment on a post in a private window

I don't get this "motivate me", I need friends

I think people need commitment

And I think if people interest, amuse or entertain you and you want them as friends in a private space to have private conversations then you should

But I do not need Whoops and PomPoms .. I just need my own commitment

This exactly!!
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    Ethos_ wrote: »
    At least 9,000

37c.gif
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I need precisely 74.7. I have 74. Wanna be my .7?

herman-cain-smile.gif
  • jenniferinfl
    jenniferinfl Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I accept when people add me. I was gone from 2012 until now and most of my previous friends either were no longer active or were maintaining. So, I removed everyone to start with a clean slate as I'm sure no one remembered me anyways.. lol
    When I was still active, every few months I would go through and unfriend anyone who hadn't been on in a couple months.

It takes quite a bit for me to get annoyed. BUT, I really don't want friends who want to post constantly about their juice cleanse, grapefruit cleanse, master cleanse or anything like that. Drives me batty. OR the friend who is always bemoaning how fat they feel at 115 lbs and just wish they could get to 112 because then they would be awesome. I just want to beat my head against a desk.

But, otherwise I like browsing other people's diaries for ideas. For instance, I had always discounted the whole 10,000 steps thing as being for the really inactive, but I saw a friend who is pretty active having trouble making 10,000 steps and I felt prompted enough to order a pedometer. I don't need a fitbit, but, it looks like 12 bucks buys an awesome pedometer these days. Something I never would have thought of without MFP friends.
  • Athos282
    Athos282 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I can't help but wonder why it matters. If you're really just here for you, you could delete everyone. You also have the power to say no to whomever you wish just like others will request to be everybody's friend. Different strokes for different blokes.
  • tinascar2015
    tinascar2015 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I have enough friends on Facebook. I didn't join MFP for the social aspect of it. I'm not antisocial, but I'm not too keen on amassing a long list of friends here. I think I have three, and yes, I've declined some. I am accountable only to myself, and although I like to encourage the friends who really need a kick up the backside, I also know the only kick that will make a difference is the one they give themselves.
  • dirtyflirty30
    dirtyflirty30 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Athos282 wrote: »
    I can't help but wonder why it matters. If you're really just here for you, you could delete everyone. You also have the power to say no to whomever you wish just like others will request to be everybody's friend. Different strokes for different blokes.

This.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I have enough friends on Facebook. I didn't join MFP for the social aspect of it. I'm not antisocial, but I'm not too keen on amassing a long list of friends here. I think I have three, and yes, I've declined some. I am accountable only to myself, and although I like to encourage the friends who really need a kick up the backside, I also know the only kick that will make a difference is the one they give themselves.

I have declined more than I have accepted. Each one has included a note as why we should be friends. Anything like similar age, amount to lose, etc. will get me to accept. I also have some friends on here that are friends on another unrelated forum I am active on, and some have sent a FR because we have a mutual friend and they have seen me in discussions on that friend's feed.

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,525 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Personally none. I'm responsible for me, so whether I have a million or just one, my results will be dependent on my approach and commitment.
    Is it great to have support? Sure. Does one need it to succeed? Absolutely not.
    Personalities will always be the determining factor for each individual when it comes to support, but in the end no one can workout for you, no one can eat for you, and no one can do the work for you when it comes to your own physical health and body.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Nothing says good friend like an "I'm a good friend and you're not," post.

OP will be giving out trophies at the end of this thread. Good luck to all those that enter!
  • honeybee_kisses
    honeybee_kisses Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I accept all requests, I don't know if they could turn out to be someone I have loads in common with so I'm willing to give anyone a chance. I send requests to people I've seen commenting on the forums who seem to have similar views and attitudes to me or same amount to lose. Also add people who's replies make me laugh :)
    I have 23 friends and I love getting their likes and comments if I've had a good day and congratulating them on their little victories also. I ask questions on my news feed too as I don't want to come on the forum and post a new question every time I want to double check something.

• honeybee_kisses
    honeybee_kisses Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    brower47 wrote: »
    Nothing says good friend like an "I'm a good friend and you're not," post.

OP will be giving out trophies at the end of this thread. Good luck to all those that enter!

Literally having a little chuckle to myself right now! Hope I win ;)
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    You know, maybe people have different motivations to being on people's FL than needing everyone to be all 'wtg' and 'kick *kitten*', just maybe...maybe they have a different one than you apparently think everyone should. Shocking concept I realize.

Its not my business as to why they want me on my FL - their motivation is theirs and I would not be so judgmental and myopic as to expect it to be the same as mine. Also, being on someones FL does not mean you are accepting them as friends. While many are people I consider actual friends, friends list =/= list of actual friends like you have friends IRL.

What is it to you anyway?
  • Burt_Huttz
    Burt_Huttz Posts: 1,612 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    The reason I enlist friends is to create a little wind behind my sail. It's sometimes hard, especially when you have a lot of weight to lose, to go it alone. Everyone could use a pat on the back, a job well done, a little advice to make the weight loss journey a little easier.
    Unfortunately I find that many collect friends just to add numbers to their already long list of friends or maybe they just don't know how to say No to a request. Really though, how good a friend can you be when you have so many friends that you can't make a real impact on their weight loss journey. Is six enough? Is twelve too many. How many friends do you have and how many do you actually make real comments on and not just click the like tab?
    Are you being a force of good for the friends you have? You've agreed to be their friends, are you truly being one?

Hello Cindy,

When you say that you find that many collect friends just to add numbers to their list, why do you believe that? Is it possible that one individual would wish to befriend a great many, to become available to them all, without needing to interact very closely?

It seems that you're taking your perception of a "friend" relationship, applying it to the actions of others, and denouncing them as bad friends.

Is it possible that they simply are being a different sort of friend? Perhaps are comfortable with a less intrusive or constant communication -- and prefer a more casual relationship with many?

Does it need to be a question of forces for good, and 'truly' being a good friend?

This sort of black and white thinking is very unproductive, and you might find relief in knowing that there are as many types of friendship and friend as there are flavors of ice cream. 31 to be exact.

I would list them all but I don't think you would understand. You're Moose Tracks in a mint chocolate chip world. It's the human condition.

With love,
    Burt
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    The reason I enlist friends is to create a little wind behind my sail. It's sometimes hard, especially when you have a lot of weight to lose, to go it alone. Everyone could use a pat on the back, a job well done, a little advice to make the weight loss journey a little easier.
    Unfortunately I find that many collect friends just to add numbers to their already long list of friends or maybe they just don't know how to say No to a request. Really though, how good a friend can you be when you have so many friends that you can't make a real impact on their weight loss journey. Is six enough? Is twelve too many. How many friends do you have and how many do you actually make real comments on and not just click the like tab?
    Are you being a force of good for the friends you have? You've agreed to be their friends, are you truly being one?

Merriam Webster defines friend as:
    "FRIEND
    1a : one attached to another by affection or esteem
    b : acquaintance
    2a : one that is not hostile
    b: one that is of the same nation, party, or group
    3 : one that favors or promotes something (as a charity)
    4 : a favored companion"

In my case, I have 226 friends. I am not able to interact with many of them regularly, I am barely able to be the type of friend you describe above with more than a handful.

That said...
    I AM attached to them with affection and esteem
    I AM of the same party / group - as in we have a bond in terms of health and fitness
    If given the chance - MANY of them would be a favored companion if we were close in proximity.

Do I comment on everyone's status. No. I cannot. I have too much external stuff going on.
    Do I share my life with them... yes, I do to some extent.
    I comment when I can. They do the same.
    Do I give out a few hoorahs, and attaboys... YEP
    Do they inspire the hell out of me?

HELL YES THEY DO.

And I try to inspire them too.

So... am I best of friends with them all? No. But do I want to see the best for them...
    MOST CERTAINLY!

*note: not currently accepting any more friend requests because I suck at being a friend. hehe
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Athos282 wrote: »

Thank you for saying what I was thinking, only much more nicely than I was thinking it :)

• sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    Technically, I don't need any - I would do this fine on my own. The social aspect of this site is just an added bonus and, for that, the more the merrier.