How Many Fitness Friends Do You Really Need???

Options

Replies

• CindyRoseMarie
    CindyRoseMarie Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    You are all so right! Who needs friends? For all of you who thought I was looking for a "True Companion", "Buddy-Buddy", you missed the boat! But that's alright, having you in my boat makes it just a little to hard to row. I know this will get a lot of negative feedback because that is what so many of you are good at doing. So, I will laugh it off and continue on my journey, alone, without any friends. Boo-hoo. Not likely, I will continue to move ahead with those who choose to care about my journey as they have the same struggle. I will try to inspire them to succeed and hopefully they will do the same for me.
    For those of you who asked "why do I care?"? I care because I understand the difficulty of trying to lose weight and the feeling that it will never happen or take forever to happen. I care about people in general, how they feel, I want everyone to be successful at what they are trying to achieve.
    So, for those who want to go it alone, go ahead, walk by yourself, I'm happy for you.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I need 0, some I have garnered from when I first started and didnt understand what the friends thing was all about. I'm focused, smart enough to teach myself what I need and also commited, so I dont make excuses and insanely analytical so can figure out my own solutions.

I feel I have a duty to help the ones I accepted/requested if I can and they need help and am a sucker at being supportive. The ones on my list who interact with me I will do my best to get them to target. Im not perfect, but I thought thats what friends did? I did stop taking friends though and have been mulling it over what my policy is, as am not very good at saying no to the requests on my list. Im always contemplating a cull, but dont like giving up on people. I'd take more on if they were like minded, interacted, chatty, receptive and commited to nailing it.

I find it bizarre that certain people just collect hundreds, some of them seem to be in a race at collecting them and wonder what real support or interaction they can provide. It seems to be a vanity thing.

Each to their own though , especially if you get the right friends and they help you get you where you need to be. I was thinking a blog and the forums were more my thing.
  • Angelfire365
    Angelfire365 Posts: 803 Member
    Options
    Ethos_ wrote: »
    At least 9,000

37c.gif

I was waiting for this. . .
  • sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    You are all so right! Who needs friends? For all of you who thought I was looking for a "True Companion", "Buddy-Buddy", you missed the boat! But that's alright, having you in my boat makes it just a little to hard to row. I know this will get a lot of negative feedback because that is what so many of you are good at doing. So, I will laugh it off and continue on my journey, alone, without any friends. Boo-hoo. Not likely, I will continue to move ahead with those who choose to care about my journey as they have the same struggle. I will try to inspire them to succeed and hopefully they will do the same for me.
    For those of you who asked "why do I care?"? I care because I understand the difficulty of trying to lose weight and the feeling that it will never happen or take forever to happen. I care about people in general, how they feel, I want everyone to be successful at what they are trying to achieve.
    So, for those who want to go it alone, go ahead, walk by yourself, I'm happy for you.
    If you're curious about where this thread became negative, start with the OP. Just sayin'.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I pretty much assume that I have little to no impact on anyone's weight loss...nobody really had an impact on mine...I didn't get where I am because of some rando on the internet.

I have way more "friends" than I could ever communicate with on a daily basis because so long as people shoot me a message I will likely accept a friend request...I'm pretty clear in my profile in RE to I'm not going to give you an adda boy every time you manage to log into the website or something.

I'm also pretty clear that I'm not all that active on my "My Home" page in general...occasionally I will comment on something here and there that someone posts...or I'll ask for some fitness advise and whatnot...but really, it's not like anyone here is my best buddy or anything...just people on the internet. Maybe a handful of people on my list that I actually have much in common with that should we meat in person we would actually be "friends".
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options

Calm.

It's ok. If you step back, you'll see a common thread... and that is... people do what works for them.

That's what you're doing, that's what they're doing. You asked "how many friends do you really need??" and you got an answer. The answer is really... it depends.

So, scan through and find the ones that fit your answer, and connect with them. Leave the others do their thing.

But no need to get worked up about it. We're not all here for the same reason. :heart:
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

giphy.gif
  • cwolfman13
    Options

I get far more out of my real world friends than I do randos on the internet...I simply do not understand how some rando people you've never actually met can have any influence on you or your journey whatsoever...I just don't get that at all.
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I think we all have different ways of using friends lists. I don't think it is my job to keep my friends motivated, but I try to be helpful as I can, but mostly just share some positive vibes. I find for myself just knowing others are out there following along in some small way and posting support really makes a big difference. And then I learn a lot and find a lot of inspiration in other peoples' journeys.

There are a few people on my list who really are great and have even messaged me when I've been less active, which really means a lot. My friends list is probably a bit too large right now for me to keep up quite as well with some people as I would like to, so I've been thinking about culling a bit. I tend to accept requests if there is a note included.
  • Amerielle
    Amerielle Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I need zero friends here. I have some and it is nice to see little snippets of their life. My motivation comes from within and I sure hope my friends are not counting on me to provide motivation and wind beneath their sails. I guess I am a bad friend according to you. Maybe you should search the forum for all of the other "bad friend" topics and you can all become buddies and pat each other on the back.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    sgthaggard wrote: »
    If you're curious about where this thread became negative, start with the OP. Just sayin'.

Yup.

Why is it the people that most often complain of negativity are the ones that most often begin the negativity to start with? Despite how many times I see it, I'm still fascinated by the blindness to the irony.
  • MagicalGiraffe
    MagicalGiraffe Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I think I have 4 friends on here, two are my family members (mum and sister) but only my sister regularly uses it but it's nice to see her losing weight and running since I finally got her to use the app last year! The other two are both Type 1 diabetics like myself, one is inactive but I regularly comment on the other's feed when it is topics surrounding diabetes since our bodies are so stupid and annoying but together we can work out a good way to manage ourselves. Since I don't have anyone I know irl very well that has the condition it is nice to find people online who understand how much of a ballache it can be living with it and trying to lose weight.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    None

We are all making our own journeys - mine is not successful because of my 'friends' and I'm pretty sure they aren't successful because I like or comment on a post in a private window

I don't get this "motivate me", I need friends

I think people need commitment

And I think if people interest, amuse or entertain you and you want them as friends in a private space to have private conversations then you should

But I do not need Whoops and PomPoms .. I just need my own commitment
    This! Purely for the social aspect!

I usually decline most of my invites, too. OR delete people if they're super annoying. :)
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

I get far more out of my real world friends than I do randos on the internet...I simply do not understand how some rando people you've never actually met can have any influence on you or your journey whatsoever...I just don't get that at all.

actually, I have a handful of people I've met here over the past three years that I would consider closer to me than some of my family. Some of those I've met, some I will be meeting soon, and some I am determined to meet. But I care about them, and am thankful to have them in my life.

I'm thrilled that I somehow managed to stumble across them, and have them become part of my life.

• Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Are you the friend police?
  • tekkiechikk
    tekkiechikk Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Facebook has utterly destroyed the value in the word "friend" so now it is pretty meaningless. I like participating in the forums here and occasionally will send someone a message for encouragement, but have no desire for MFP "friends." Like someone else sort of said, I am not the least bit interested in the minutiae of your life or your juice cleanses.
  • gkauf744
    gkauf744 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I like friends! I want my newsfeed to be new every time I log on, and for that, you need a lot of friends. I don't actually post very much. I have eliminated all of the automatic posts from my own feed except for the workouts and the "she's logged on for x number of days." I don't need people patting me on the back so much, but I like to see what other people are up to, and encourage, and be encouraged when the mood strikes me.
  • cwolfman13
    Options
    MireyGal76 wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

actually, I have a handful of people I've met here over the past three years that I would consider closer to me than some of my family. Some of those I've met, some I will be meeting soon, and some I am determined to meet. But I care about them, and am thankful to have them in my life.

I'm thrilled that I somehow managed to stumble across them, and have them become part of my life.

I am certainly thankful for a handful of people on my list who are knowledgeable and I can bounce stuff off of and whatnot...but I've yet to ever actually connect on any deep personal level with anyone in cyber space...I have to be physically connected to someone...and even then, it can be a slow process.

Hell, it took me over a year of flirting with my now wife before I ever asked her out...and we dated another 6 years before I popped the question. I just don't connect and get emotionally engaged very easily...certainly can't imagine having an actual emotional attachment to a stranger on-line.

Cool that you can though...