Childhood food pleasures

Options

Replies

• lizzocat
    lizzocat Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    This is going to sounds so weird, but my grandmother used to make me a soft boiled egg and then on the side challah bread with milk, like together in a cup. It was delicious and I just now remembered that, haven't thought about this since I was a kid!
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter and dill pickle sandwiches! I remember eating them all through childhood and still love them.

My BEST FRIEND and I used to have something similar....only we added cheese! I never came across anyone else who liked this combination.

• wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter and dill pickle sandwiches! I remember eating them all through childhood and still love them.

Well, well, WELL. I thought it was just ME! Well, me and my childhood friend who introduced me to peanut butter and dill pickle sandwiches! People laugh, but we know better, don't we??? The last one I had was about three months ago. ::::sigh::::

AND ANOTHER ONE!
  • rachelnumberone
    rachelnumberone Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Marmite broth! I feel like I may be alone in this one. My nanna would make it (probably still does) it's torn up white bread with butter and marmite in a bowl, then you pour a bit of boiling water in, it's soooo good!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter mixed with maple syrup. It's still one of my favorite desserts/snacks.
  • wyattj99
    wyattj99 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Dragn77 wrote: »
    Not too unique, but fig newtons. When I was little, my grandmother had a cookie jar (shaped like a big happy frog! hehe) and she always kept chocolate chip cookies in it...except when I came to stay for summer holiday...then she filled it up with fig newtons instead.

My cousins would get SO angry with me, because I was the only one who liked fig newtons. That was like, 30 years ago, and to this day, they still jostle me over how it was my fault no one got to eat any chocolate chip cookies for 2 months. LoL

I rarely eat them now, maybe once a year? But they always makes me think of my grandmother :blush:
    My dad always had figs..but I don't them now =(
  • wyattj99
    wyattj99 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    By the way, my childhood food was banana sandwich with mayo! NO PB but Mayo. Don't knock it til you tried it.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    wyattj99 wrote: »
    By the way, my childhood food was banana sandwich with mayo! NO PB but Mayo. Don't knock it til you tried it.

I used to eat pb with Miracle Whip (we never had mayo in our house) sandwiches. It was pretty good, but I mostly did it to gross out my brother. o:)
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    wizzybeth wrote: »

My BEST FRIEND and I used to have something similar....only we added cheese! I never came across anyone else who liked this combination.

my son eats peanut butter and cheese sandwhiches sometimes. he is afraid of jelly, but some how cheese is ok.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Cinnamon toast with lots of butter and sugar and cinnamon.

Grilled cheese sandwiches (first thing I ever learned to cook).

Any weekend breakfast my dad would make--most commonly pancakes with maple syrup and bacon.
  • freesia83
    freesia83 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Ohhh, sugar sandwiches with plenty of butter, condensed milk sandwiches, dripping on bread with salt on them, so tasty and nans cooking, we lived with her and I miss her food.
  • krmsotherhalf68
    krmsotherhalf68 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    My grandmother passed away 20 years ago, and that was the last time I had rice pudding. I really like rice pudding and don't know why I haven't made it when I grew up. I really should.

Semolina porridge (cream of wheat you call it?). Mom used to make it, and then drop a knob of butter into my still hot plate of porridge, and I would push it deeper into the porridge watch it melt. She doesn't make it as often now.

Speaking of semolina, when I was a kid my grandmother used to make some kind of semolina dessert that is easy to cut and pick up. During our Summer break she would make 2 huge sheets of it, one blue and one pink. My cousins and I would sit by the side of the street in front of our house and sell it to passers by. People and kids loved the thing and the two sheets were totally gone within a couple of hours.

When I used to go with my mom to visit my other grandmother in the Summer, I remember eating gooseberries right off the bush, and my uncle carrying me to reach the higher sour cherries on the tree. The higher ones taste better you know! I haven't had either in 20 years.

The semolina dessert sounds much like what the Italians call Polenta (corn meal mush). You can make it like a porridge, or very stiff and then cut it into shapes. My Mom would serve the stiff type covered with tomato sauce and cheese (not my fav)., I preferred it as a sweet dessert, sprinkled with a little sugar or as a sweetened breakfast porridge.

Two of my all-time fav comfort foods when I was younger were pastina w/butter and a little black pepper and baby cereal (i.e. Gerber oatmeal or rice cereal) with some milk and sugar. No wonder I'm a carb addict! Look at my comfort foods as a child. Yikes!
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Peanut Butter and Honey Sandwiches
    Cinnamon Sugar and Butter Sandwiches
    Fried Baloney Sandwiches. I can't even call them bologna. That sounds too fancy.

All on white bread, folded (as someone else mentioned).
  • hollyrayburn
    hollyrayburn Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    a piece of school house pizza with whole kernel corn, some pears, and a "salad"

^^ best school lunch ever :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    Fluffernutters for sure.
    Mac and cheese with a cut-up hot dog mixed in.
    Sometimes when I came home from school I would make a big bowl of Minute Rice (white) and dump a ridiculous amount of soy sauce in it.
    My great-grandmother used to heat up a can of creamed corn and put a huge chunk of butter in it for me.
    And let us not forget, McDonalds chicken nuggets with sweet & sour sauce. oh man.

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Oh I thought of another one. Bagel Bites were very popular when I was in middle school. Pretty sure my brother and I went through a box of Bagel Bites (pizzas) every couple of days.
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    My mom's homemade bread. I recently got the recipe from her and have started to bake my own weekly =) Nothing like fresh bread with butter and cheese!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I was remembering the other night that we used to make "toasty dogs" occasionally at a friend's house-- my mom wouldn't let us have Velveeta (she's a wise woman) and she only bought wheat bread so we never had it at home. Basically you take a slice of white bread, put a slice of Velveeta on it, top that with mustard and a hotdog, and then wrap the bread up around the hotdog and toothpick it. Then you bake it in the oven until it's all crunchy.

I probably wouldn't be able to stomach it now.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Bierocks...aka Runza. Basically a meat pie that is popular in parts of the midwest...particularly Kansas and Nebraska. My mom was born and raised in Nebraska and I lived there for a time during my childhood...she made Bierocks often as it was a cheap meal and we were pretty poor at the time.

I haven't had one in ages...I should tell my mom to whip up a batch.
  • Improve1
    Improve1 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    White rice mixed with egg and lightly sauteed in a fry pan. the rice should be sticky as the eggs are very lightly cooked with some ketchup on top.

My go-to comfort food from my grandmom.
    Also, plain rice pilaf with butter and salt.

Drooling.... how I miss those days of ignorance where white-refined carbs weren't the enemy.