Yet another new study confirms fat people drink diet soda...

Options
_John_
_John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
edited March 2015 in Food and Nutrition
http://www.livescience.com/50157-diet-soda-increased-waist.html

please use this thread to pile on and bash diet soda.

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I drink diet soda

cos I that's the way I roll :)
  • Erfw7471
    Erfw7471 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Drinking a Coke Zero right now....would be even better with some rum & lime.
  • _John_
    Options
    emilyr0011 wrote: »
    Drinking a Coke Zero right now....would be even better with some rum & lime.
    I was too when I was alerted to this study's existence.
  • Cryptonomnomicon
    Cryptonomnomicon Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    My reaction to the thread title...

gUYdOBc.jpg

Counter argument...

Using rigorously controlled studies, we’ve found that:

1. When people are in a caloric deficit, they always lose weight.

2. When people are in a caloric surplus, they always gain weight.

Source:http://evidencemag.com/why-calories-count/
  • Terpnista84
    Terpnista84 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I hear fat people drink regular soda, too.
  • jeffd247
    jeffd247 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I don't have an opinion on whether or not diet soda is bad for you, or whether or not it increases one's tendency to put on body fat.

I do think that hanging your hat on that web article is borderline moronic.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    I just read the story...haven't read the actual study so can't comment on the specifics of it. I will just say that there have been many studies that have indicated there may be a link between diet soda...more specifically artificial sweeteners...and weight gain, heart disease, stroke, etc. Now has anything been proven 100% beyond a shadow of a doubt? No. Is more research needed? Yes.

However, it seems to me when so many different studies seem to indicate the same types of things, the phrase where there's smoke there's fire may apply. I don't believe these things are good for you on a regular basis. Do they pose a "high" risk? I don't know. But everybody has to determine for themselves how much risk they want to take with their long term health. I have eliminated these things for the most part, and don't really miss them. So for me, the choice is easy.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I don't drink diet soda.

But only because I don't like it.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    This never made much sense to me. I drink/drank diet pop. It did not make me obese, and it did not make me the "normal" weight I am now.

Just imagine how much more obese I would have been drinking regular pop.

I saved/am saving, some calories. I also ate a vast amount of food, containing a vast amount of calories, that is what made me obese, not drinking diet pop........just saying.
  • mzjenn2u
    mzjenn2u Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    yummy diet dr pepper....
  • dirtyflirty30
    dirtyflirty30 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I heard water makes you fat. Seriously, but there's a "study" that comes out within the next couple of months that says water is bad for us.

Sincerely, someone from whom you'll have to pry a diet soda from my cold, dead hands
  • PixieGoddess
    PixieGoddess Posts: 1,833 Member
    Options
    BFDeal wrote: »
    These studies never seem to establish a direct link between diet soda and weight gain. Correlation doesn't equal causation.

This
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    These studies never seem to establish a direct link between diet soda and weight gain. Correlation doesn't equal causation.

I was going to say exactly this. What bothers me even more is that the article goes on to suggest that people replace zero calorie diet soda with caloric sweet fruits. How does that help?!
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I hear fat people eat too much.
  • _John_
    Options
    jeffd247 wrote: »
    I don't have an opinion on whether or not diet soda is bad for you, or whether or not it increases one's tendency to put on body fat.

I do think that hanging your hat on that web article is borderline moronic.
    It's an article about a recent research paper, and I was a little too lazy to actually find and link the article. Same discussion was bound to ensue though.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    OMG. I'm fat but don't drink diet soda or any soda? How did this happen?
  • _John_
    Options

I was going to say exactly this. What bothers me even more is that the article goes on to suggest that people replace zero calorie diet soda with caloric sweet fruits. How does that help?!

yeah, directly replacing diet soda with fruit and keeping EVERY other variable the same would be a disaster vs. the negative effects associated with soda. As that would absolutely cause weight gain, contribute to diabetes and most every other negative effect attributed to diet soda.
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Fat people also drink water maybe that's the issue