Yet another new study confirms fat people drink diet soda...

Options

Replies

• merisaOct3
    merisaOct3 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    BFDeal wrote: »
    These studies never seem to establish a direct link between diet soda and weight gain. Correlation doesn't equal causation.

If people really had critical thinking skills, they'd realize that almost every study quoted by the media rarely has ANY facts supporting causation. I limit diet soda and other artificial sweeteners because of other reasons, but this constant harping on "diet soda/fake sugar makes you fat" is asinine and unhelpful.

Now, talking about sugar addiction/cravings as a whole is another topic.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    I heard once that fat people breathe.

Then I heard another article once said skinny people breathe.

Now I'm not sure - should I breathe or not??!!
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    I hear fat people eat too much.

+1, but my version goes "I hear fat people consistently eat/drink more calories than they burn, and some of them drink diet soda while doing so."
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    People who eat carrots have a 100% mortality rate.
  • KingofWisdom
    KingofWisdom Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    This should make me want to stop drinking soda, but it doesn't. Only drinking water? What kinda life would that be? :p
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    dpwellman wrote: »

I'm doomed! DOOOOOOOMED!!!!

• Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    When I was fat I drank regular soda, when I lost weight (121 pounds) and now maintaining I drank diet soda, my waist got smaller, hhhhmmmmmm..... B)
  • likehlikeo
    likehlikeo Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    At least one big bottle of diet coke here per workday...my BMI is a bit under 20 atm...the thing is: let's say the sweeteners are increasing my sugar cravings. Well, if you give in and eat junk then...you will gain weight if you eat over maintenance, but if you log everything and don't give in...you will be fine. Shocking, right?
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    OK forget my flippant comment about water earlier I've just had an epiphany. I have an off the wall idea this may be out there and a little controversial but I'll float it anyway. I have heard rumours that fat people have been known to eat food. Yes actually eat food now I know it could be a bit of a strange idea but is it at all possible that food could be at anyway indicated in someone's obesity? I know stupid idea now I say it I see what a ridiculous idea that is you know the idea that eating too much food could make you fat. ridiculous Huh
  • zamphir66
    zamphir66 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Without reading the study, is it not entirely plausible that people with some level of awareness that their waistline is growing might self-select diet soda, but then do absolutely nothing else to improve their nutrition and metabolism?
  • Burt_Huttz
    Burt_Huttz Posts: 1,612 Member
    Options
    lolol diet cola linked to increased belly fat in adults
    because having diet cola makes people fat?
    or being fat makes people drink diet cola?
    which is more plausible?*

*-note I only read the headline and none of the contents because omfg I am tired of articles about studies.
  • notyalc66
    notyalc66 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Of course, sick people are found in hospitals, therefore hospitals cause sickness.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    I hear fat people eat too much.

Finally! Science.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    dpwellman wrote: »

I'm going to stop eating carrots right NOW!

• SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    Correlation-versus-causation-3.gif

correlation_crochet.jpg
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    This was a PROSPECTIVE study! That's a big difference from the prior epidemiology studies.

It still isn't hard proof that diet soda is "causal." But it's much more significant (and concerning) than a mere epidemiology study which demonstrates that people who are obese drink diet soda.
  • exstromn
    exstromn Posts: 176 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Personally I love Diet Dr Pepper and Diet Lipton Green Tea BUT - 1. they are not providing any real/significant nutritional value and - 2. are full of chemicals/additives/preservatives. I have chosen after a long battle to only indulge as a treat rarely vs 3 or 4 bottles per day.

I have realized that I really do care about what I put in my body (always wanting contents etc disclosed ie., GMO grains and pesticide use...) and I choose not to knowingly continue to slowly poison myself with certain beverages/processed foods so abundantly available from the "Diet" industry.

I want to live a long and healthy life, I can do that with whole foods I don't need or want the "Diet" industry's products. I believe almost all artificial sweeteners are bad for you which is what I saw mirrored in the article. Good luck and safe journey!
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    likehlikeo wrote: »
    At least one big bottle of diet coke here per workday...my BMI is a bit under 20 atm...the thing is: let's say the sweeteners are increasing my sugar cravings. Well, if you give in and eat junk then...you will gain weight if you eat over maintenance, but if you log everything and don't give in...you will be fine. Shocking, right?

And since most people don't log their calories, I guess the study's results aren't shocking either.

• SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    zamphir66 wrote: »
    Without reading the study, is it not entirely plausible that people with some level of awareness that their waistline is growing might self-select diet soda, but then do absolutely nothing else to improve their nutrition and metabolism?

This plus I know a lot of diabetics who drink diet soda. Many diabetics (not all) are also obese. It skews the data.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    _John_ wrote: »
    BFDeal wrote: »
    These studies never seem to establish a direct link between diet soda and weight gain. Correlation doesn't equal causation.

I was going to say exactly this. What bothers me even more is that the article goes on to suggest that people replace zero calorie diet soda with caloric sweet fruits. How does that help?!

yeah, directly replacing diet soda with fruit and keeping EVERY other variable the same would be a disaster vs. the negative effects associated with soda. As that would absolutely cause weight gain, contribute to diabetes and most every other negative effect attributed to diet soda.

Directly replacing diet soda with fruit and keeping every other variable the same would cause either a reduction in weight loss or weight gain. Not only do we know that, but we know what causes that.

On the other hand, artificial sweeteners and products containing them are routinely blamed for all kinds of things, for which no causation can be identified, using poorly controlled "studies." Artificial sweeteners are perhaps the most studied food substance available on the market today, with practically nothing tangible identified that is harmful to most humans.

Take a study like this where both the control group and the sample group were not monitored for outside variables whatsoever... they are trying to pass this off as "science." Seriously?!