Yet another new study confirms fat people drink diet soda...

Options

Replies

• Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    exstromn wrote: »
    Personally I love Diet Dr Pepper and Diet Lipton Green Tea BUT - 1. they are not providing any nutritional value and - 2. are full of chemicals/additives/preservatives. I have chosen after a long battle to only indulge as a treat rarely vs 3 or 4 bottles per day.

I have realized that I really do care about what I put in my body (as long as contents etc are disclosed ie., GMO grains and pesticide use...) and I choose not to conscienciously continue to slowly poison myself with beverages/processed foods so abundantly available from the "Diet" industry.

I want to live a long and healthy life, I can do that with whole foods I don't need or want the "Diet" industry's products. I believe almost all artificial sweeteners are bad for you which is what I saw mirrored in the article. Good luck and safe journey!
    I know people who ate nothing but "clean" food, plant based, whatever else you call it, who drop dead of a heart attack or died from cancer. In their 30's and 40's.

I know people who were over weight, ate whatever they wanted, never exercised, died in their 90's.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    isulo_kura wrote: »
    OK forget my flippant comment about water earlier I've just had an epiphany. I have an off the wall idea this may be out there and a little controversial but I'll float it anyway. I have heard rumours that fat people have been known to eat food. Yes actually eat food now I know it could be a bit of a strange idea but is it at all possible that food could be at anyway indicated in someone's obesity? I know stupid idea now I say it I see what a ridiculous idea that is you know the idea that eating too much food could make you fat. ridiculous Huh

I remember there was a fat guy once who wanted to order a burger. He says he hadn't eaten anything all day. Of course I knew he was lying... if he hadn't eaten yet that day, then how could he have been so fat?!
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »
    Personally I love Diet Dr Pepper and Diet Lipton Green Tea BUT - 1. they are not providing any nutritional value and - 2. are full of chemicals/additives/preservatives. I have chosen after a long battle to only indulge as a treat rarely vs 3 or 4 bottles per day.

I have realized that I really do care about what I put in my body (as long as contents etc are disclosed ie., GMO grains and pesticide use...) and I choose not to conscienciously continue to slowly poison myself with beverages/processed foods so abundantly available from the "Diet" industry.

I want to live a long and healthy life, I can do that with whole foods I don't need or want the "Diet" industry's products. I believe almost all artificial sweeteners are bad for you which is what I saw mirrored in the article. Good luck and safe journey!
    I know people who ate nothing but "clean" food, plant based, whatever else you call it, who drop dead of a heart attack or died from cancer. In their 30's and 40's.

I know people who were over weight, ate whatever they wanted, never exercised, died in their 90's.

Seriously this.

I always find it interesting to read about the diet of people who live to be over 100 years old. They always seem to go against what the 'health food' people spout.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I wonder how many people who aren't fat drink diet soda.
  • exstromn
    exstromn Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »

Indeed, we are all unique with our own environments to exist in with many factors which influence our health. We all choose our own path and make the best choices we can for ourselves along the way. Mine are clear, and I refuse to choose lightly.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I hear fat people drink regular soda, too.

Then there's that!
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    I notice the use of the word MAY a lot when talking about causation and also the bit where they said they didn't know.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    _John_ wrote: »
    http://www.livescience.com/50157-diet-soda-increased-waist.html

please use this thread to pile on and bash diet soda.

Bashing diet soda-> I hate diet soda. It tastes gross. It has yucky things in it. My mil drinks diet soda. Certain people who drink diet soda can be annoying about it.

I got my big waist from consuming too many calories and lack of activity.
    I'm not 65 or older though which are the people the article talks about.
  • juleszephyr
    juleszephyr Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Apparently obesity rates are in a direct correlation with ownership of washing machines... Statistics can pretty much prove anything given the right variables...
    I drink diet coke because I like it and it is better than full sugar coke...
    Now didn't I read somewhere that obesity was also linked to ownership of coffee machines???
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    Maybe people see that they are getting fat, and so choose diet soda in the hopes of becoming less so?

Naw. Crazy talk. Just ignore me.
  • jodeswood007
    jodeswood007 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Sincerely, someone from whom you'll have to pry a diet soda from my cold, dead hands

I love hard core diet soda drinkers :)
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Personally I love Diet Dr Pepper and Diet Lipton Green Tea BUT - 1. they are not providing any real/significant nutritional value and - 2. are full of chemicals/additives/preservatives. I have chosen after a long battle to only indulge as a treat rarely vs 3 or 4 bottles per day.

I have realized that I really do care about what I put in my body (always wanting contents etc disclosed ie., GMO grains and pesticide use...) and I choose not to knowingly continue to slowly poison myself with certain beverages/processed foods so abundantly available from the "Diet" industry.

Big Diet is definitely out to get you. Good luck with your chemical free diet.

i5FL3.jpg
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    correlation-does-not-imply-causation.png?fit=848%2C1024
  • Metruis
    Metruis Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Ugh, diet soda. Never touched the crap in my life. While I'm pretty convinced it might be causing brain tumors, because everyone I've met who drinks diet soda like water is either lazy and suffering from chronic pain or... a doctor. Wait.

Hmm.

Anyway, I got to being 255 without drinking pop at all. Not diet, not regular. Apart from the odd ginger ale when I'm on a plane or feel sick, I can't stand the stuff. If I want fizzy, give me beer. If I want sweet, give me homemade apple juice.
  • sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    I don't drink diet pop but, honestly, that's just because I don't like the taste.

I would imagine that you are going to find a correlation between overweight people and diet drinks because, I don't know, overweight people diet?
  • 1960HikerDude
    1960HikerDude Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    The problem with diet soda is that it is contaminated with hydrogen dioxide. Almost all commercially available beverages in the US contain high levels of hydrogen dioxide. Our rivers, lakes and even springs located deep in the wilderness have it too. If that stuff gets into your lungs you can die!
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options
    The problem with diet soda is that it is contaminated with hydrogen dioxide. Almost all commercially available beverages in the US contain high levels of hydrogen dioxide. Our rivers, lakes and even springs located deep in the wilderness have it too. If that stuff gets into your lungs you can die!

hydrogen dioxide sounds kind of radical...you sure you didn't mean dihydrogen monoxide?
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    zamphir66 wrote: »
    Without reading the study, is it not entirely plausible that people with some level of awareness that their waistline is growing might self-select diet soda, but then do absolutely nothing else to improve their nutrition and metabolism?

My guess? Not only is it fairly typical to switch to diet soda when you start thinking you're getting fat, but also to start eating more because, "Hey, drinking diet soda totally compensates, man."
  • bainsworth1a
    bainsworth1a Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I have pretty much eliminated diet soda from my diet. I have an occasional one when i go out. I have read so many articles on how bad diet soda is for you but really I did not get fat from drinking too much diet soda. How about the whopper and fries i ate along with the diet soda.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    BFDeal wrote: »
    These studies never seem to establish a direct link between diet soda and weight gain. Correlation doesn't equal causation.
    +1
    My first thought too. If I have weight to lose I'm picking diet soda over the sugar-loaded kind.

My daughter has noted that there are more fat people at buffets, too. Yeah, duh.