Whole Milk vs Skim

Options

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    If I swapped my low fat milk for the regular, the calories from what I add to my tea would go from 178 calories to 310 calories :( I'm not quite ready to give up drinking tea and I've tried it black many times and I just...... cant.
  • kozinskey
    kozinskey Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    dawnna76 wrote: »
    our milkman deliveres whole. i have two skinny boys who need the extra fat and i dont drink it often so when i do i prefer the full fat verzion.

Where do you live that you get a milkman? Can I move there??
  • dawnna76
    dawnna76 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    kozinskey wrote: »
    our milkman deliveres whole. i have two skinny boys who need the extra fat and i dont drink it often so when i do i prefer the full fat verzion.

seattle, its awesome! they bring milk from thier local farms, eggs and baked goods too :)
  • Christine_72
    Options

seattle, its awesome! they bring milk from thier local farms, eggs and baked goods too :)

That is so great! Plus you get all that lovely rain :heart:

• blookabaugh
    blookabaugh Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I have been a milk drinker my entire life---I love it. I have milk every evening for dinner. I am a skim milk drinker. I decided to cut the fat so I came off whole milk by stepping down first to 2% then 1% and then skim. Now if I drink 2%, it tastes like cream. But everyone has their preference of the kind of milk they prefer. I tried almond milk and I just could not switch (yuk). So it is skim milk for me every day.
  • Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I usually buy a brand called Super Skim, not so much to save on calories, but because it lasts quite a few days longer past the expiration date, and tastes as good as whole milk. It doesn't even have that watery look to it.

But I don't use plain milk very often (which is why one that lasts longer is good for me). I drink a lowfat chocolate milk (Wegman's brand) becuase it tastes better than any other brand chocolate milk I've tried. A lot of them are chalky. Wegman's tastes like melted chocolate ice cream.
  • dawnna76
    dawnna76 Posts: 987 Member
    Options

Thats what you think, we actually are in danger of being in a drought right now. we just tell people its nasty here to keep them away. there now more space for people as the beautiful mountains and sea take up the most space.

• fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    I buy non homogenized cream top milk.. and i switch from 2% to whole depending on how I feel that day haha.
  • Christine_72
    Options

Thats what you think, we actually are in danger of being in a drought right now. we just tell people its nasty here to keep them away. there now more space for people as the beautiful mountains and sea take up the most space.

wow that's no good :( I was under the assumption it rained at least a few days a week there. I am in another country though, I can only go by what I see on TV :blush:

• zombiegirlfriend
    zombiegirlfriend Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    wellz6 wrote: »
    Here is an excerpt from an article I read

Do you mind citing your source? I'd love to read that article!

• zombiegirlfriend
    Options
    I drink a lowfat chocolate milk (Wegman's brand) becuase it tastes better than any other brand chocolate milk I've tried. A lot of them are chalky. Wegman's tastes like melted chocolate ice cream.

I really enjoy Wawa Chocolate milk (when I visited PA) we don't have ANYTHING like that in Arizona.

• Katgan
    Katgan Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Katgan wrote: »
    I don't eat or drink anything that is low fat since it's more processed. I didn't read article you linked, but I am aware of the studies that indicate that low fat milk is worse for your health. If you are just worried about calories, I guess you should go with the lowest fat, but if you are concerned about overall health, go with whole milk.

Sadly, full cream milk is actually more processed than skim milk now. The amount of fat in full cream milk should depend on where the cows come from, the season, and the type of cow, but it doesn't. All milk we drink (unless it's raw or unhomogenized) is turned into skim, then the appropriate amounts of cream are added back in to make the milk have a standard milk fat ratio in every bottle. So skim has just had the milk fats taken out of it. Full cream has had all the fats taken out of it, then had the appropriate amount put back in.

That's how it is in Australia at least. Maybe it's different elsewhere *shrug*

Thanks for enlightening me. I don't drink any milk, but my husband does so we buy the whole milk. I'll check into getting some local raw milk for him instead. I think I might have a few options near by.

• lesliemichael86
    lesliemichael86 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I always eat full fat dairy, but I only eat dairy once a day so it's not like the content is a big issue. Actually, someone once told me that the dairy industry has it all wrng, whole milk should really be labelled as 97% fat free...lol!
  • lesliemichael86
    lesliemichael86 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    wellz6 wrote: »
    It's best to leave things the way nature intended. Many people drink skim milk because they think all fat is bad for you. There is a reason why milk contains fat to begin with.

Most people aren't aware of how skim milk is even made, it's pretty disgusting. Fat-free milk used to be an industrial waste product after the cream was skimmed.

Here is an excerpt from an article I read:

"Before processing, skim milk has a very unappetizing blueish color, a chalky taste, and watery texture that doesn’t resemble natural milk at all. So, to whiten, thicken, and make it taste a little more normal, powdered milk solids are often mixed into the milk.

What’s so bad about powdered milk? Well, in the manufacturing process, liquid milk is forced through tiny holes at very high pressure, which causes the cholesterol in the milk to oxidize, and toxic nitrates to form. Oxidized cholesterol contributes to the buildup of plaque in the arteries, while unoxidized cholesterol from unprocessed foods is actually an antioxidant to help fight inflammation in the body. The proteins found in powdered milk are so denatured that they are unrecognizable by the body and contribute to inflammation.

Shockingly, dairy manufacturers are not required by the FDA to label the powdered milk as a separate ingredient, because it’s still technically just “milk,” the single ingredient found on the list. So, there’s no way to be sure that it is or isn’t in your fat-free or low-fat dairy products."

Where I live the dairy farmers used to actually make a hockey rink out of the "junk milk" since it had no use.
  • snowflakesav
    snowflakesav Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Unsweetened coconut milk is my new favorite.
  • Nikkei74
    Nikkei74 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    If I swapped my low fat milk for the regular, the calories from what I add to my tea would go from 178 calories to 310 calories :( I'm not quite ready to give up drinking tea and I've tried it black many times and I just...... cant.

That's a lot of tea! Have you tried lemon in your black tea instead of milk? It's pretty good.

Don't think I could have cream instead of milk for my tea, and have never met anyone who does. I'm a latte drinker, so wouldn't have it in coffee either. As for with cereal, only if it's porridge or bircher. Double cream in porridge and bircher is brilliant
  • Christine_72
    Options
    Nikkei74 wrote: »

That's a lot of tea! Have you tried lemon in your black tea instead of milk? It's pretty good.

Don't think I could have cream instead of milk for my tea, and have never met anyone who does. I'm a latte drinker, so wouldn't have it in coffee either. As for with cereal, only if it's porridge or bircher. Double cream in porridge and bircher is brilliant

yeah it is :( Around 6 cups in the morning for *breakfast*, then I swap to water.

• zombiegirlfriend
    Options
    How is coconut milk different from coconut water?
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    If youre saving calories skim is the way to go if you want to avoid drinking calories. However, if you rather have the milk fat and enjoy your drink then just record it and adjust your food intake accordingly.
  • Eudoxy
    Eudoxy Posts: 391 Member
    Options

Yep, I'm from there originally, Smith Bros delivery! We used to get yogurt, too, had a cooler on the porch for it. My brother still does it.