Sweet potato recipes, please;)

Options

Replies

• missmelis98
    missmelis98 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I love them roasted but my latest way of eating them is sweet potato black bean chili. Tons of recipes on pinterest.

• Lovemywhy
    Lovemywhy Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    One tube of sausage (Jimmy dean) browned in a pot, diced sweet potato thrown in he pot, chopped up kale thrown into the pot, a dash of red crushed pepper and sautee' and then add chicken or beef broth or stock and a tad of heavy cream.
    Love this soup!
  • Lovemywhy
    Lovemywhy Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Diced and tossed in olive oil OR coconut oil and then chop up and add fresh rosemary and sprinkle with salt. Bake at 375 for 35 to 45 minutes.
  • nm212
    nm212 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    bump
  • rebeccalhunt
    Options
    Cube sweet potato with skin on lighty toss in oil and season bake till golden and slightly crispy saute onion in tsp brown sugar add bacon as much as desired mix basil pesto with pumpkin seeds mix all together yum sweet potato salad good hot or cold
  • sweetbamaTLC
    sweetbamaTLC Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    lexlowe wrote: »
    Simply bake at 425 for 45-60 minutes

This! And then I peel it and sprinkle pumpkin pie spice on it and eat warm. You can find it in most spice sections at the grocery store.
  • AyaRowan
    AyaRowan Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Quick sweet potato side:
    Cubed sweet potato
    Olive oil
    Salt
    Pepper
    Diced onion (optional)
    Chopped garlic (optional)

Toss in a microwave safe bowl, cover, microwave for a few minutes until done.

Sweet potato and kale breakfast hash:
    Cubed or shredded sweet potato
    Kale
    Olive oil
    Salt
    Pepper
    Diced onion (optional)
    Chopped garlic (optional)

Put all the ingredients in a frying pan, stir to coat with the oil then cover and cook until done. Top with an egg with a runny yolk.

Sweet potato chilli:
    http://www.food.com/recipe/sweet-potato-chili-463532

The sweet potato chilli is amazing, I didn't know what to think while I was cooking it but I had a lot of sweet potatoes to use up. Liked it a lot, as did my dad.
  • SomeGirlSomewhere
    SomeGirlSomewhere Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    For YEARS I thought I didn't like sweet potatoes after an unpleasant experience with them as a child. I just tried a few sweet potato fries when I was out with some friends over the weekend and realized that I actually DO like them. My recent good experience, combined with all of the GREAT ideas in this thread have just inspired me to add sweet potatoes to my shopping list! :)
  • kpatton999
    kpatton999 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    balvis3919 wrote: »
    cut 2 sweet potatoes into bite sized pieces, at 1 TBSP oil little salt and pepper and bake them in the oven at 425 for about 15-20 minutes. sprinkle with cinnamon when they come out. just had this last night. lol

Instead of cinnamon, add salt and regular white sugar. Really yummy.
  • kimtaylor775
    Options
    Peel sweet potato's, but into fries, place in zip lock bag w/a little olive oil. Shake them up. Open back, sprinkle paprika & cinnamon on them, zip the back up again and shake again. Spread onto pan, bake at 400 for about 15 minutes, flip them, cook again until done to your taste. Sprinkle w/cinnamon sugar if you must, but they don't need it.
  • peggymenard
    peggymenard Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    After seeing some of these delicious ideas for sweet potatoes, I decided to take the pantry challenge and here's my contribution.
    Southwestern Sweet Potato Soup
    6 C water
    1 TBS Chicken Better Than Bouillon
    1 can Green Giant Steamed Fresh Southwestern Corn
    1 can Bush's Chili Beans w/mild chili sauce
    3 small sweet potatoes (cut into large cubes)
    2 C kale, chopped
    1 TSP onion powder
    1 TSP Morton's Nature Seasoning Blend
    1 TBS dried cilantro
    Add all ingredients to pot and simmer until potatoes are cooked. Cover and let sit on stove for an hour to blend flavors.
  • nat07rotella
    Options
    Buy a spiralizer by Paderno...it Cuts your sweet potato into noodles, you can sub it for pasta or noodles for stir fry..it's great!
  • jazzandbill
    jazzandbill Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    kristydi wrote: »
    Peel them, cube them, toss them in a bit of oil to coat. Sprinkle on some cinnamon and a tsp or 2 of brown sugar. Toss again to spread the seasoning the spread on a cookie sheet in a single layer and roast at 400 till tender.

this recipe sounds really good.. ty.. i wonder if this will preheat ok if i make this ahead of time and store in fridge for next day lunch..

• lisabinco
    lisabinco Posts: 1,016 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    My family LOVES this Cumin and Lime Roasted Sweet Potatoes recipe:
    http://www.vegetariantimes.com/recipe/cumin-and-lime-roasted-sweet-potatoes/
    I leave the skins on for the crunchiness. A real comfort food!
  • SomeGirlSomewhere
    SomeGirlSomewhere Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    lisabinco wrote: »
    My family LOVES this Cumin and Lime Roasted Sweet Potatoes recipe:
    http://www.vegetariantimes.com/recipe/cumin-and-lime-roasted-sweet-potatoes/
    I leave the skins on for the crunchiness. A real comfort food!

@lisabinco ----That dish looks delicious and it just so happens I have both a lime and a sweet potato I need to use up so I am thinking this will be dinner either tonight or tomorrow night. Thanks for sharing it! :)

• tashiros
    tashiros Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Roast in wedges a little olive oil and brown sugar
  • goddessheatherr
    goddessheatherr Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    AlisonH729 wrote: »
    11041655_10104892493919849_7732349534593574951_n.jpg?oh=36f37204a41c737898c322af95ef081d&oe=55887186&__gda__=1435510399_0eb0d42874ec4dd3d4047a68d38d3c57

If you want to get a little fancy you can make sweet potato brulee. It's really just mashed sweets with a little brown sugar & butter on the top and then popped under the broiler.

I need this omg yum
  • Aimeeshrinks
    Aimeeshrinks Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Cut them into 1/4 inch thick medallions and bake at 425 for 40 minutes turning half way (watch them closely so they don't burn) then make any meat you like using taco seasoning, add nacho toppings and you have delicious guilt free nachos.
  • kickassbarbie
    kickassbarbie Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Cut into wedges, roll in one teaspoon of oil and cover in tons of fajita seasoning.

Bake on 220 for 20 mins
    Throw on 20g grated cheese (low fat) Pop back in over for 4 mins.

Am eating thus with home made sour cream as I type.... I love spicy sweet potato right now, this thread reminded me I had a spare in cupboard.

(Calories - 254)