No eating after 6pm

Options

Replies

• wishiwasarunner
    wishiwasarunner Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    You could look at the intermittent fasting groups. While there is no particular time issues - there are those that try to eat all of their food within a 6-8 hour time span and then eat nothing the remaining hours. This helps them restrict calories (it really is all CICO but how you limit CI without going crazy is why there are so many options) and they believe that once you get closer to your ideal weight, the body resists mobilizing fat stores until there has been a certain number of hours deficit. I don't want to try it - but keep considering. . .
  • softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Great. I would be rail thin with that plan. I have zero time for food after lunch at 12. I usually have dinner at around 8:00, when I get home from the gym, work, and commute.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Will you turn into a gremlin if you eat after 6??
    oxjkmfcmhzu0.jpeg
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    I wonder if your pensioner gets up early and goes to bed early. So six is late in the day for him.

My dad was often up at 5am. We always always always had supper at 5pm. Never later. But around 8pm both he and my mom would have a cup of coffee and some kind of snack before bed - a piece of bread and butter, a piece of coffee cake, a bowl of rice pudding...whatever was around.

Neither one of them were even remotely close to being overweight, but they rarely ate between meals - apart from two small snacks - one in the afternoon when they got home from the school bus run and the one at bedtime. Their snacks were usually the same - cup of coffee, some bread and butter or coffee cake, etc. "Normal" size serving.

Dad ate eggs, bacon fried potatoes for breakfast...sandwich & potato salad for lunch...meat N potatoes for supper. Every meal was accompanied by or included bread and butter. LOL

Dad was a carpenter. He was always busy. Active. Mom was pure nervous energy.

• gpstreet
    gpstreet Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    There is something wonderful about waking up so early. I am out of bed at 4.30am and find I have so much time I can spend on my family and myself. Bed at 9.30pm so I have enough sleep. It is all about training the body.
  • Of_Monsters_and_Meat
    Of_Monsters_and_Meat Posts: 1,022 Member
    Options
    OK,
    The reason is not that you stop eating after a certain time. It is because you stopped eating, and are consuming less calories per day.

Mindless eating all day and stopping at 6, vs Mindless eating all day and stopping at 12:00 midnight. One will consume more.

Eating all of your calories at 11:59 pm would still allow you to lose weight.
  • nuttynanners
    nuttynanners Posts: 249 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I don't eat after 8pm. It works for me. I find that the next day I wake up, my metabolism is ready to go. When I eat right before bed, especially carbs/sugar, I'll wake up feeling sick and not hungry for healthy food, but craving sweets instead. I think having an eating curfew is a good way to implement self discipline, but it's an unpopular idea on MFP, because everyone is obsessed with numbers here.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    I eat most of my calories after 6PM. Probably around 75% of them.
  • MelWick524
    MelWick524 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I'm not supposed to eat 2 hours before bed, due to digestive issues...which has nothing to do with my weight loss. With that being said, I get home most days after 6:45pm, and dinner is usually around 7:30pm. I am doing just fine on my weight loss journey. I've always been a night-eater, at my "skinniest" and my "fattest" ... makes no difference. :smile:
  • Sewilban
    Sewilban Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I understand the general principal behind your friend's rule, but think it should be scaled back a bit. In the research I've done around nutrition, avoiding nighttime eating does seem to be a recurring theme. But instead of focusing on not eating at all after a certain time, the idea is more centered around not overeating at night, or saving all of your calories for dinnertime - it's more about proper portioning throughout the entire day. The earlier you eat, the more active time you still have left in the day for your body to burn it off, versus eating - say, half - of your day's calories at night, where the next thing you do is go to sleep.

Here's a great article published in early 2013 by NPR if you'd like it for further reading.

Good luck!
  • Angierae75
    Angierae75 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I don't even get home from work until 6.
  • wathjo1
    wathjo1 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Different things work for different people. I myself have decided not to eat after 8pm. It has helped me tremendously, but only because I don't SNACK as much!
  • MelWick524
    Options
    emilyesq wrote: »
    Last night, at 11pm, I ate a brownie, a serving of beef jerky, some chips, and 5 marshmallow Peeps. I'm losing weight just fine. I've been slim and I've been obese, there was never a time when I didn't eat at night.

Skinny people are skinny because they don't overeat; timing of meals means nothing. People like to point to reasons X Y and Z for why skinny people are skinny, but the truth is, people are skinny because they don't eat as much as fat people, and they move more. Period. There's no other factor to the equation, at least not for the general population. That skinny guy at your work who you watch eating two burgers and fries every day for lunch, he doesn't have a "fast metabolism", he doesn't eat 17 Big Macs as long as it's not after 7pm, he just eats less overall and moves more than someone who eats the same lunch but is overweight.

i will disagree with this. I have known many skinny people who ate like pigs and barely moved more than a sloth. perhaps it will come back to bite them some day, but some people, are naturally skinny (not necessarily HEALTHY, but SKINNY).

^This is my husband. I can't figure it out. He used to have an active job, but now, he doesn't move much all day, but eats like garbage and stays skinny (like...an entire carton of ice cream and a half a box of lucky charms for dinner alone kind of garbage). WTF?! lol @ndj1979, you should start some sort of thread with your thoughts on this. Sometimes you're a little abrasive, but your posts are always insightful and eye-opening! :smiley:
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,153 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a problem with acid reflux, sticking to your overall daily calorie allotment is far more important than when you eat those calories. If you want to eat after 6 and it does not result in eating more calories that your allowance for the day, by all means do so.
  • RenateNetzel
    RenateNetzel Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    i agree, its not the time of day but the calories consumed. Personally, i struggle NOT to eat at night.
  • topazora
    topazora Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    it's always worked for me, I have my light dinner at 4pm, no later, and weight loss is easier. Whenever I don't do it, my weight loss stalls. But I prefer breakfast to dinner anyway.
  • MelWick524
    Options
    MelWick524 wrote: »
    emilyesq wrote: »
    Last night, at 11pm, I ate a brownie, a serving of beef jerky, some chips, and 5 marshmallow Peeps. I'm losing weight just fine. I've been slim and I've been obese, there was never a time when I didn't eat at night.

Skinny people are skinny because they don't overeat; timing of meals means nothing. People like to point to reasons X Y and Z for why skinny people are skinny, but the truth is, people are skinny because they don't eat as much as fat people, and they move more. Period. There's no other factor to the equation, at least not for the general population. That skinny guy at your work who you watch eating two burgers and fries every day for lunch, he doesn't have a "fast metabolism", he doesn't eat 17 Big Macs as long as it's not after 7pm, he just eats less overall and moves more than someone who eats the same lunch but is overweight.

i will disagree with this. I have known many skinny people who ate like pigs and barely moved more than a sloth. perhaps it will come back to bite them some day, but some people, are naturally skinny (not necessarily HEALTHY, but SKINNY).

^This is my husband. I can't figure it out. He used to have an active job, but now, he doesn't move much all day, but eats like garbage and stays skinny (like...an entire carton of ice cream and a half a box of lucky charms for dinner alone kind of garbage). WTF?! lol @ndj1979, you should start some sort of thread with your thoughts on this. Sometimes you're a little abrasive, but your posts are always insightful and eye-opening! :smiley:

ps..."abrasive" is a compliment, that's what we need around here lol! cold, hard truth!
  • JayRuby84
    JayRuby84 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I eat 1,000+ calories after 6 pm most nights. If I have an early dinner I'm likely to go over even more. It's not a problem for me and doesn't hinder my weight loss.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I don't eat dinner until 7-8 pm every night and usually have a snack between 8 and midnight. Still losing weight. The key is that it fits my calorie goal for the day not what time I eat.
    If it works for someone else to stick to their calorie limit and make a rule not to eat after 6 pm or 3 hours before going to bed that is great for them. It does not mean that everyone has to do that to lose weight.