Ever switch to a 'lighter' version of a food and then discover the change wasn't that helpful?

Options

Replies

• Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    jkwolly wrote: »
    Tubbs216 wrote: »
    I wish that the single-serve yogurt pots were higher fat. They only seem to come in 0 and 2%. I really love the higher fat Greek yogurts but they are only available in the big pots, and the smaller ones are so convenient.
    I agree! My fix is that I bought a $20 yogurt maker on amazon and make my own. I use whole milk, half and half and even a bit of heavy cream and evaporated milk. I put in a cup or so of powdered milk and the stuff comes out cheesecake-thick and so satisfyingly full of fat! (and unbelievably high in protein) :blush: Yes, it almost doubles the calories but I factor it in to my day's macros easily. And I would rather enjoy a cup of yummy, good for me yogurt than force down a "skinny batch" just to save a few calories. It's all about planning. I just go a bit lighter on my other fats for the day.
    Not sure where you live, but I find single serve Liberte (Canadian brand) at Costco. It comes in either 5% or 9% - SO delicious. The 9% one is so creamy and delicious, and for 142g it's only around 190-220 calories (depending on flavour), and 9 grams of protein!
    I'm in Canada too. Thanks for the tip - I'll check them out next time I'm in Costco.
    I have made my own yogurt before, but found it a bit of a hassle.

• AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    This wasn't recent, but low fat and fat free dressings were very disappointing. The lower the fat, the sweeter they were. Fat-free ranch should be banned lol. It's so sweet and just gross. It tastes absolutely nothing like ranch. It made me lose my taste for ranch altogether though, so maybe it did some good LOL.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    ShibaEars wrote: »
    I used to buy 0% fat yogurt. Blech. I can't stand the taste of aspartame so I really didn't enjoy them. Now I just buy the 2% (or higher) stuff.

Fake sweeteners in yogurt are Of The Devil. And, you can't always tell when they are coming...I've eaten 100 calorie yogurts forever, almost always Siggis or Chobani, very nice and yum. Oh, look! Dannon has it in mango, that will be delicious! BLERGH. Stupid Splenda! Totally unnecessary and ruined a perfectly good yogurt.

Now I have to bring my darn readers to the supermarket before I buy any new kind of yogurt. I WILL NOT BE FOOLED INTO EATING SPLENDA TWICE, YOGURT COMPANIES.
  • jillianedwards
    jillianedwards Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Am i the only one who likes low fat cheese better? haha Probably but i like that it is almost a little bit dryer? Also for those talking about salad dressings has anyone tried the ones made out of yogurt?? They are quite tasty and usually lower in calories i have found!
  • pepperpat64
    pepperpat64 Posts: 423 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    No amount of money will ever make me give up real butter or mayonnaise (Hellman's FTW). I've tried just about all the light/lowfat/etc. brands out there and none of them come close to the taste of the real things, not to mention not being any healthier.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Lean Pockets have just as many calories as regular Hot Pockets.

Yeah... my mind was blown by that one. I refuse now to buy Lean Pockets, ever. Stupid lean pockets.... *grumble grumble*
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    Am i the only one who likes low fat cheese better? haha Probably but i like that it is almost a little bit dryer? Also for those talking about salad dressings has anyone tried the ones made out of yogurt?? They are quite tasty and usually lower in calories i have found!

I thought fat free feta was nasty, but I was really surprised by the fat free Kraft cheddar shredded cheese. I use it on my egg white muffins and it really isn't that bad at all. I don't mind light ricotta or mozzarella.

I thought I would hate sandwich thins for burgers, but in reality, they make the burger taste better because now I taste more of the meat as opposed to just bread. Also they hold up better than I thought they would.

I have had a lot of luck with subbing. I don't really think unsweetened almond milk makes a good sub for any kind of dairy in coffee, but I suck it up for calories. It is good in cereal though. Baking with it was a bit of a learning curve because it so thick. I had to add a lot of water to my pancake batter, but ultimately it made no real difference to the pancakes once I got the ratios down except now they have less cals.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Definitely cheese.

The difference between fat free and whole milk mozz is only 40 calories. The difference between part skim and whole milk mozz is 13 calories.
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    I use half and half in my coffee every day (I only drink one cup a day), and if I have anything less, my reaction is, "What the crap?" I have also started using a little regular sugar instead because it's cheaper than sugar substitutes, and, other than Splenda, I can't find any that taste as good. While I don't buy into all the hype about Splenda giving you cancer and whatnot, I don't think it's a bad thing to avoid sugar substitutes so long as you're not trading it off for a ton of sugar and thus excess calories.

I can't believe I drank skim milk for so many years! It wasn't until I had kids and we kept fattier milk in the house that I re-discovered how good non-skim milk is. When I drank whole (when my kids drank it), I could usually only drink 4 oz at a time because any more than that felt too heavy. With 1% or 2% I can drink 8 oz or even 12 oz if I need the calories.
  • rhonderoo
    rhonderoo Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I will not give up my half and half. I've gotten the fat free half and half, and will use it occasionally, since it's not high in sugar, but for the most part, I'd rather just save calories elsewhere. I also eat butter, full fat dressings and cheeses because I try to just watch my portions and a little goes a long way. Coffee is my everything... I reload my s'bucks card monthly and will fight you over a skinny sf venti caramel latte, and my three cups a day.
  • RBXChas
    Options
    jkwolly wrote: »
    I wish that the single-serve yogurt pots were higher fat. They only seem to come in 0 and 2%. I really love the higher fat Greek yogurts but they are only available in the big pots, and the smaller ones are so convenient.
    I agree! My fix is that I bought a $20 yogurt maker on amazon and make my own. I use whole milk, half and half and even a bit of heavy cream and evaporated milk. I put in a cup or so of powdered milk and the stuff comes out cheesecake-thick and so satisfyingly full of fat! (and unbelievably high in protein) :blush: Yes, it almost doubles the calories but I factor it in to my day's macros easily. And I would rather enjoy a cup of yummy, good for me yogurt than force down a "skinny batch" just to save a few calories. It's all about planning. I just go a bit lighter on my other fats for the day.
    Not sure where you live, but I find single serve Liberte (Canadian brand) at Costco. It comes in either 5% or 9% - SO delicious. The 9% one is so creamy and delicious, and for 142g it's only around 190-220 calories (depending on flavour), and 9 grams of protein!
    I'm in Canada too. Thanks for the tip - I'll check them out next time I'm in Costco.
    I have made my own yogurt before, but found it a bit of a hassle.

I'm in the US, and one of our local supermarkets carries Liberte. However there aren't many varieties for sale, and the ones I've seen appear to be 0% fat :( It's still good yogurt, but I far prefer 2% Greek to 0%. Our Costco only carries 0% Fage Greek (plain, in big tubs), 0% Kirkland Greek (plain, in big tubs), and Chobani 0% as far as Greek yogurt.

Someone recently told me that their Costco carries full fat Fage. It's been months, and I still haven't seen it at Costco or anywhere else. I'm super jealous! Fage is my favorite, especially 2%.

Most Greek yogurt brands that carry 0% and 2% have about a 20-calorie difference between the two. To me, the difference in taste is worth the 20 calories!
  • RBXChas
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »

Yeah... my mind was blown by that one. I refuse now to buy Lean Pockets, ever. Stupid lean pockets.... *grumble grumble*

tumblr_lpxu4eU4eC1qkf5c4o1_r3_500.gif
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    RBXChas wrote: »
    Ninkyou wrote: »

tumblr_lpxu4eU4eC1qkf5c4o1_r3_500.gif

more-hotpockets.jpg
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Well I suppose there were the times of eating a chicken sandwich or a salad instead of a hamburger and discovering they are the same calorie count. Doesn't mean they are bad choices but not automatically lower calorie. Or the old days of doing the low carb/no real sugar thing and being slightly miserable all the time but not losing more weight than just watching calorie intake and eating whatever I like.
  • ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    Options
    No amount of money will ever make me give up real butter or mayonnaise (Hellman's FTW). I've tried just about all the light/lowfat/etc. brands out there and none of them come close to the taste of the real things, not to mention not being any healthier.

Agreed. And I will always buy salted butter.
  • tracie_minus100
    tracie_minus100 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Low fat cheese...it melts weird!!!
  • RBXChas
    Options
    ShibaEars wrote: »

Agreed. And I will always buy salted butter.

Yes, we use salted butter now (soooo good and really no more calories than the other hydrogenated crap out there), but I do buy unsalted for cooking/baking.

Also, Hellman's rules. I have it every day in my swiss cheese sandwiches every day for lunch :)
  • bainsworth1a
    bainsworth1a Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    yes there are some foods that I will not go for lower calories because I do not like the taste or texture. I prefer taking a calorie hit on real cheese versus low fat cheese.
    On the other hand I do not mind 1% milk but will not drink skim milk.
    You have to do what works for you
  • hollyrayburn
    hollyrayburn Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    reduced fat peanut butter
    bolthouse farms anything (Other than those protein coffee drinks, theyre decent!)
    reduced fat/calorie cheese. just no no no
    low fat ice cream. just no. go big or go home.
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    reduced fat peanut butter

Oh yeah, I forgot how nasty that was. Never again. Not that it really matters though. I think the last time I bought peanut butter was like a year ago. If I am going to eat that many calories in a tbls, might as well be eating Nutella. :wink: