Low carb and no sugar

Options
It's very hard for vegetarian to take carb out bc all our means start with rice and whole wheat totillas ??!
What should I do ??

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Is either not going low carb or not being vegetarian an option?

I can see why eating low carb as a vegetarian might be hard, but I don't see why all your meals would need to start with rice or tortillas.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    I feel like being vegetarian and low carb is going to be very restrictive. Is there a particular reason you want to go low carb?

The low carb group may have some recipes that may work for you.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • sevia121
    sevia121 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Can you eat fish? You plates should then look like a serving of fish (salmon is my favorite) with a vegetable side. If you cannot eat meat at all then your low carb menu becomes very hard to follow. It might be time to start trying some meat. You need protein, and while most vegetarians get it from beans, those are also high in carbs. Make sure to add fat to this diet when reducing carbs. Fat is the only thing that will keep you feeling full.
  • scaryg53
    scaryg53 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian also, I don't base my meals around rice and tortillas lol but I don't really worry about carbs, my carbs are from healthy sources and I eat lots and lots of fresh veggies everyday. I've lost 67 pounds never once counting carbs. I worry more about getting enough fat and protein.
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Try here http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group for good advice and a low-carb friendly atmosphere.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    ritadavra wrote: »
    It's very hard for vegetarian to take carb out bc all our means start with rice and whole wheat totillas ??!
    What should I do ??

You have to be zero carb to be no sugar, which means you won't be eating much at all as a vegetarian
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Acg67 wrote: »
    What should I do ??

You have to be zero carb to be no sugar, which means you won't be eating much at all as a vegetarian

Cheese. Lots and lots of cheese.
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    sevia121 wrote: »
    Can you eat fish? You plates should then look like a serving of fish (salmon is my favorite) with a vegetable side..
    Fish is not a Vegetable. Vegetarians who eat fish are well not Vegetarians

• Acg67
    Options
    magerum wrote: »
    What should I do ??

Nope, lactose is a sugar
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    isulo_kura wrote: »
    sevia121 wrote: »
    Can you eat fish? You plates should then look like a serving of fish (salmon is my favorite) with a vegetable side..
    Fish is not a Vegetable. Vegetarians who eat fish are well not Vegetarians

No, that would be pescetarian.

Eggs are okay though.
  • Gianfranco_R
    Gianfranco_R Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    What should I do ??

Nope, lactose is a sugar

Aged and hard cheeses have little or no lactose.
  • Acg67
    Options
    What should I do ??

Nope, lactose is a sugar

and little > none
  • valdesr
    valdesr Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    You could eat carbs with low GI load. For example, green vegies like Broccoli and Asparagus. Also, you can even ad low GI fruits that are high on fiber, like, Blueberries. Finally, you can eat Beans in order to add some protein to your diet.
  • Gianfranco_R
    Gianfranco_R Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    What should I do ??

Nope, lactose is a sugar

and little > none

very intelligent observation, but typically there is a range (from 0 up to 2/3%, it depends).
    Here there is a chart:
    http://www.stevecarper.com/li/list_of_lactose_percentages.htm
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest starting here: http://www.reddit.com/r/vegetarianketo