High soluble fiber, low (preferably no) fat, high-protein foods?

Options
Hausisse1
Hausisse1 Posts: 165 Member
Hi! I'm not trying to lose or gain weight, just maintain. I've calculated my macros and I (apparently) ought to eat 84 g of protein and 34 g of fat per day, but most low-fat, high-protein foods are things like meat and eggs- and I have trouble pooping when I eat so much meat and eggs! (forgive my candor, haha) Anybody know of some high SOLUBLE FIBER, low or no-fat foods that are, most importantly, high in protein? Or is that just not a thing?

(I already know oats are a decent option, but they're not exactly high in protein. Beans are sorta high in fat.)

Replies

• magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Chicken breast and Fiber One.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    Why is your fat set so low?

Quinoa is pretty high in protein/fiber. Peas/beans are good, spinach has about 3 g of protein per half cup. You have to experiment and see what works.
  • Hausisse1
    Options
    But chicken breast has meat! How could it have fiber? :open_mouth:
  • Hausisse1
    Options
    I have no idea! I just used whataremymacros.com to calculate and that's what I was given. Is that really very low?
  • 52cardpickup
    52cardpickup Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Hausisse1 wrote: »
    But chicken breast has meat! How could it have fiber? :open_mouth:

It doesn't... that's why the Fiber One bar was also recommended...?
  • Hausisse1
    Options
    Oh, I see, hehe. Hmm, according to Fiber One's nutrition facts though, it's mostly insoluble fiber
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options
    I have no idea! I just used whataremymacros.com to calculate and that's what I was given. Is that really very low?

It seems pretty low for most people. The RDA for the general population is about 60 or so grams for a 2,000 calorie diet.

I get about 35% of my calories from fats, which works up to about 66 g a day for me, and I'm losing weight at a deficit.

Fat is nothing to be afraid of! Just stay away from trans fats as much as possible and be mindful of your saturated fats.
  • mxmkenney
    mxmkenney Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Try Quest bars - they have 20 grams of protein and 18-20 grams of fiber for around 200 calories or less. They do have 5-8 grams of fat, which is low-fat in my book. :) My favorite flavors are apple pie, double chocolate chunk, and cookie dough. You're welcome.
  • Hausisse1
    Options

It seems pretty low for most people. The RDA for the general population is about 60 or so grams for a 2,000 calorie diet.

I get about 35% of my calories from fats, which works up to about 66 g a day for me, and I'm losing weight at a deficit.

Fat is nothing to be afraid of! Just stay away from trans fats as much as possible and be mindful of your saturated fats.

I know there's nothing wrong with it! I was just trying to follow the nutrition guidelines I was given. But it certainly could be wrong. I will try upping my fat intake... I know nuts are mostly soluble fiber :)
  • Hausisse1
    Options

And thank you for the advice :)
  • Hausisse1
    Options
    mxmkenney wrote: »
    Try Quest bars - they have 20 grams of protein and 18-20 grams of fiber for around 200 calories or less. They do have 5-8 grams of fat, which is low-fat in my book. :) My favorite flavors are apple pie, double chocolate chunk, and cookie dough. You're welcome.

I'll look into those!
  • novakac
    novakac Posts: 22 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I had a similar problem, and solved it with massive amounts of raspberries. Kind of expensive, but a very tasty additive to my pretty boring diet. As for fiber to carb ratio, you can't get much better. And don't worry about soluble/insoluble. I'm telling you, after a week or two of eating 2 cups a day of raspberries (or blackberries), you'll be okie dokie.
  • JasonH_DFW
    JasonH_DFW Posts: 63 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi! I'm not trying to lose or gain weight, just maintain. I've calculated my macros and I (apparently) ought to eat 84 g of protein and 34 g of fat per day, but most low-fat, high-protein foods are things like meat and eggs- and I have trouble pooping when I eat so much meat and eggs! (forgive my candor, haha) Anybody know of some high SOLUBLE FIBER, low or no-fat foods that are, most importantly, high in protein? Or is that just not a thing?

(I already know oats are a decent option, but they're not exactly high in protein. Beans are sorta high in fat.)

Lentals. Beans. Quinoa.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options

I know there's nothing wrong with it! I was just trying to follow the nutrition guidelines I was given. But it certainly could be wrong. I will try upping my fat intake... I know nuts are mostly soluble fiber :)

Nuts can be a decent source of protein also, and are full of healthy fats. Good luck! :smile:
  • Hausisse1
    Options
    novakac wrote: »
    I had a similar problem, and solved it with massive amounts of raspberries. Kind of expensive, but a very tasty additive to my pretty boring diet. As for fiber to carb ratio, you can't get much better. And don't worry about soluble/insoluble. I'm telling you, after a week or two of eating 2 cups a day of raspberries (or blackberries), you'll be okie dokie.

Nah, trust me, I know it's soluble fiber that's the problem! But thank you, I'll try raspberries and blueberries too :)
  • tiffanycherie
    tiffanycherie Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    mxmkenney wrote: »

This^. I didn't know they had an apple pie flavor. I just tried smores the other day and its also good.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    To help you go.......fiber (obviously) water, movement, and fat.

Brown rice has soluble fiber....some protein....not terribly high though.

Are you staying hydrated?
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    chili or soup with plenty of lean meat, beans and chopped vegetables.