Running, when to stop?

Options

Replies

• omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Once I got up to 4.5 to 5 miles in my 10K training, I started having hip issues. I limped for a couple of months. At that point, I switched to doing run/walk intervals. Typically, what happens is as you get tired, your form suffers and you can be prone to injuries. Taking walk breaks helps keep your form steady. I do 8 min run, 1 min walk and my hip issues went away. *Poof* Magic.
  • FitFitzy331
    FitFitzy331 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I used to hit a mental block after 4 miles, that's all I could really call it since there was nothing wrong with me, everything felt fine etc... I joined a running group and with them we slowly increased mileage and that has helped me push through that. I never really spoke to anyone while running but meeting up with the group a few times a week got me closer to attaining my goals. If you don't mind talking to people outside of your actual run, this is an option.
  • MelissaGraham7
    MelissaGraham7 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    This is what I was told by my Sports Medicine physician....there is a difference between soreness and pain. If you have soreness, it is okay to push through. If you have pain, you should listen to your body and back off, cut your distance and/or take some rest days off. If the *pain* immediately resumes when you resume running, you should seek medical attention. If the pain is in your joints versus your muscles, there is probably a more concerning issue. Muscles can recoup with rest. You can hurt yourself or do damage to cartilage and joints. I myself had to give up running as it turned out my cartilage in hips and knees was virtually shot - but I can walk briskly and that is cool for me as I'm not ready for joint replacements yet. Listen to your body when it comes to PAIN.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    like others have said, it could be a number of issues.

-could be shoe related. i know you said you got some new shoes, and that you don't want a shoe with a lot of cushion, and i was once the same. low drop shoes were what humans were meant to run in!! but the more miles i was putting in, the more i came to realize that i needed a bit more cushion on my feet. i currently run with a 6-8mm heel, after getting fitted at a running store.

-could be nutritionally related. about mile 5-6 is about an hour into your run, right? most people recommend taking in some kind of nutrition every 45-60 minutes in your long workouts. try taking some sports drink with you during your next run. (i usually do a 50/50 mix of gatorade and water)

-it might very well be mental, your mind exaggerating some signals from your body. if it is mental, i think i might be able to help you by asking you a simple question: why do you want to go past 6 miles? do you have a 10k or half marathon you are signed up for? if not, your mind can just subconsciously be telling you "hey!! there is no reason for us to be running any further than this!"
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    It could be muscular. I am working on that problem currently myself. Sure, my primary leg muscles used for running could endure my longest runs, but my form would suffer because other muscles that are also engaged while running (but not primary) would fatigue and my form would suffer. I would wind up lumbering and shuffling along those last few miles. This bad form would cause strain on my hips, feet and knees. As I kept building to longer and longer runs, these "secondary" muscles would still fatigue around mile 5 or 6 (for myself) and then I would spend those last few miles beating my body up. the only real endurance I was building was the ability to trudge through it to the point of eventual injury. It was my core, glutes and hip flexors that were weak in my case.

I have been doing a total body resistance workout plan (You Are Your Own Gym), but giving a little added focus to the Core and Legs portion. I also still run, and work to fit them in. Some days my "Core and Legs" routine is a long run. Other days I do a "Push" or "Pull" routine and add in some interval runs or a tempo run. Some days (like this morning) I do a Push or Pull routine, and the Legs + Core routine from the You Are Your Own Gym program. I try to keep a balance of each.

It is making quite a difference. I am running faster, and also making it through 8 miles at this point before hitting that point where my form starts to deteriorate.

The goal for me now is to continue building miles, but make all of those miles with good running form.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    If it's not pain, and you're not tired, not numb either, I'd push through. Slow down if you want to, though I find that makes it worse. When I'm 'done', I want to hurry up and really BE done!

My guess is it's mental. You're used to running that distance, and subconsciously you're prepared to stop. You're probably going to find that to be the case for every long run where you increase mileage. For me, it was usually about a mile before the end where I was just suddenly 'done' even though I wasn't winded or super tired.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    • I'm doing a Tough Mudder in about 7 weeks which is why I want to be able to add distance. (I know I can walk if needed and I will need to, but I still want as much endurance as I can add with a reasonable effort.)
    • I also do barbell strength training, and diving.
    • I would definitely stop if there were any pain. I wouldn't risk not being able to dive anymore.

I'll have to check out the nutrition angle too. Hadn't considered that.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    How do you fuel before your runs? Also, how do you schedule your runs and your strength training? I don't want to assume that you don't try and do your long run the day after squats or deads, but still, worth mentioning.

Also, for a tough mudder, if you can run 8 miles straight, you're good.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    4leighbee wrote: »
    JoRocka wrote: »
    But everyone has a point where their body is like FK THIS SHT. And throws the yellow doily of shame to try to stop the play.

LOL ... If it didn't sound so creepy, I would start keeping a list of your phrases and toss them out occasionally at my teenagers. They wouldn't know what to do with that. I love "yellow doily of shame..." [literally lol at my desk] Hope you're released soon.

Doooo eeeeeeeeeeeeettttttttttttttt

better- yet- get a yellow doily of shame and throw it and yell at them FLAG ON THE PLAY FLAG ON THE PLAY!!!! :D
    - I aint mad at ya
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    Options
    I all but stopped lifting during Jan/Feb, it didn't change things (other than making me slower.)
    I love "yellow doily of shame..." [literally lol at my desk]
    Same here.

• Christismylife
    Christismylife Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I tried Higdon's intermediate 10k plan. It was pretty intense. Maybe try only one day a week for your long run instead of having several days a week where you're supposed to run more than a 5k. Or as someone else mentioned, try his beginner 10k plan.
  • ksuh999
    ksuh999 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    What's your pace?
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Frankly, doesn't sound like a fueling issue. Have you had someone look at your stride / form (and not on a treadmill -- my treadmill stride is nothing like my pavement stride). The fact that you're not feeling a lot of DOMS the next day, but during the run you're feeling a lot of joint / impact discomfort as the distance progresses sounds like a stride / form issue. I wouldn't push through that sort of thing -- bad form leads to all kinds of interesting injuries.

EDIT: Thinking through it a bit more...the fact that you're feeling this with Vibrams makes it unlikely to be seriously overstriding (which is always my first guess), since your heel will start to hurt like hell if you overstride in a minimalist shoe. Still might be a cadence issue -- if you're getting excessive vertical motion that puts more stress on the joints. Next run might want to check your cadence, especially later in the run -- if it's a lot lower than 180-ish strides per minute, try going to a faster, choppier stride (if you run with music, there are sites that have a "beat" to match specific target cadences).
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    <---old lady running.
    I agree to pay attention and get it looked in to. My physiotherapist has me on all sorts of stretches and strengthening exercises now. He says don't run through joint pain. It will only take you that much longer to recover.

My girlfriend who does half marathons carries gummy bears with her. That's all she needs to refuel mid-run. You could try that. But I suspect it has to do with your form, and allowing your entire body time to adapt to the long runs.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    Options
    hill8570 wrote: »
    Frankly, doesn't sound like a fueling issue. Have you had someone look at your stride / form (and not on a treadmill -- my treadmill stride is nothing like my pavement stride). The fact that you're not feeling a lot of DOMS the next day, but during the run you're feeling a lot of joint / impact discomfort as the distance progresses sounds like a stride / form issue. I wouldn't push through that sort of thing -- bad form leads to all kinds of interesting injuries.

EDIT: Thinking through it a bit more...the fact that you're feeling this with Vibrams makes it unlikely to be seriously overstriding (which is always my first guess), since your heel will start to hurt like hell if you overstride in a minimalist shoe. Still might be a cadence issue -- if you're getting excessive vertical motion that puts more stress on the joints. Next run might want to check your cadence, especially later in the run -- if it's a lot lower than 180-ish strides per minute, try going to a faster, choppier stride (if you run with music, there are sites that have a "beat" to match specific target cadences).
    Yeah, low cadence = more vertical = bigger impact. When I started last year the first couple of runs my knees were hurting, and did some research, which suggested I was landing with my leg too far forward. I read up about cadence, took video of myself at various speeds and stride lengths and it was extremely enlightening. I immediately started using a metronome to stay at a minimum of 180 (and go up to 190ish depending on the pace of the run) and it completely eliminated the knee thing. Anyway, I am very low to the ground, almost feels like race-walking. But I see how breakdown of form toward the end could be contributing.
    What's your pace?
    My tempos tend to be around 8-8:30 per mile and the long runs can be up to 10:00ish.
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    ...Anyway, I am very low to the ground, almost feels like race-walking. But I see how breakdown of form toward the end could be contributing.

Perhaps I'm taking you a bit too literally, but race-walking involves significant hip swivel -- not something you want when running. Might want to look up "running tall" and what it implies about form -- "low to the ground" doesn't sound right to me...it has me visualizing excessive knee and hip joint bend at foot strike.
  • kpw818
    kpw818 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    1. Agree with all on form. Try to see a PT or even get your form checked at a running shoe store--they will usually do it for free, and it is better than nothing.
    2. If the plan is causing pain, slow down. I would run a few week at the 4 mile distance and see how you fare before moving on. It does take the body longer to be accustomed to the pounding.
    3. Consider your surfaces. Are you running on mostly concrete? Do you run a loop? Try to mix in some trail or dirt on the runs longer than 3 miles. I plan about half trail for all of my long runs, and it gives a nice break and variety to the distance.
    4. Foam roll before and after! I swear by this. If I don't foam roll before a longer run, I will get a niggle somewhere. I recommend this over stretching before runs.
    5. Fuel: If you are feeling tired, make sure you are fueled prior to the run. Half a banana is a good start and may help with the tired feeling you are getting on the run. 5 miles doesn't typically require mid-run fuel, but everybody is different, and I know people who have to fuel on any run much over a half hour.
  • mamafelfleh
    mamafelfleh Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    The question is: do you run wearing the medals you won in your first 5k? :)
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    Options
    Ok, I ran 5 miles Sunday after a big dinner so I was well fueled. It felt good and I wanted to continue but the track was closing.

Today I went with the goal to do 5 miles of running and then walk/run/crawl/flop my way to 6 miles. I ate 200 calories of twix bars just before. I stopped at 3 miles for only 20 seconds for water and then finished off a 10K without stopping or even slowing down. (I hit 6 miles at just under an hour and ended up with a 9:52 avg pace.)

My guess is it was 90% psychological.
    hill8570 wrote: »
    ...Anyway, I am very low to the ground, almost feels like race-walking. But I see how breakdown of form toward the end could be contributing.

Perhaps I'm taking you a bit too literally, but race-walking involves significant hip swivel -- not something you want when running. Might want to look up "running tall" and what it implies about form -- "low to the ground" doesn't sound right to me...it has me visualizing excessive knee and hip joint bend at foot strike.
    What I meant is, in comparing my stride at old/current cadence, I was in the air longer and bouncing up and down a lot more. I guess "it feels more like I'm cross-country skiing" would be a better description.

Also, I had looked up the walking tall thing, and also found this one (http://balancedrunner.co.uk/dont-run-tall-and-what-you-should-do-instead/) saying the opposite, to try and take a more natural "lazy" position. I had recently been trying to fix my posture, run upright with my gut sucked in, and probably way overdoing it because my shoulders were not happy with that either. These last couple runs I went back to my lazy slouching self and it may or may not have contributed to how great it felt. :)
  • callmejessica
    callmejessica Posts: 1,868 Member
    Options
    Honestly, weight training has improved my running so much. I'm in the opposite boat as you now where my legs feel like they can go forever and don't burn, but I run out of breath beforehand. In addition to mixing up your workouts and runs, do some hill training and make sure you swap out your shoes frequently since you're getting a fair amount of mileage.