Walking 10,000 steps

Replies

• 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,484 Member
    Hmm this is a great idea!! I'm a stay at home mom so I might just make that part of our routine. Thanks!!

How old are your kids? If you could include them in the walking, you would all benefit.

When I was a little kid I used to go on walks with my mom. We start out and at each intersection we'd take turns deciding which direction to go...left, right, or straight. Eventually we'd make it home. That made a boring walk for a kid a game and I have fond memories of that. We lived in a medium sized town and the streets were laid out in typical rectangular block fashion. It might not work so well if you lived in a rural area.

Another idea is to explore all the parks in your area. Hike the trails, walk around the lakes, etc. If your kids are the age for playgrounds, you could walk while they played, always keeping within a comfortable distance, of course.

Good luck!

• 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,484 Member
    I have 2 dogs also. I can't usually walk them both because one sucks on a leash lol. He's a little special but we love him.

Look into getting a prong collar. They look cruel but are actually very humane for dogs that pull hard. The force of their pull is evenly spread over 30 or so blunt prongs around their neck. It gets their attention, but doesn't hurt. It worked miracles for my lab when he was young.

The dogs will also benefit from your walking if you can manage to take them.

• mom2ava07
    mom2ava07 Posts: 186 Member
    I have a desk job, and I get about 7,000 per day according to my Fitbit. I only hit 10k if I get on the treadmill.
  • leighdiane91
    leighdiane91 Posts: 225 Member
    I used to set the timer on my mobile phone for 10 minutes and walk out the door and just walk when the alarm went off I would go home (you will walk home a little faster) and bingo you just did a 20 min walk ... after a while add 1 min or 5 min more, and slowly add more time. I enjoy walking, it's easy and takes no effort.

each step is one step closer to your goal :smile:

Hmm this is a great idea!! I'm a stay at home mom so I might just make that part of our routine. Thanks!!

I'm a nanny, I take the kids to the park almost every day and since it's been nice we usually walk there. Which gets about 3000 steps just walking there and back. If we drive to the park, I tell the kids to go play for 10 mins while I walk around the play equipment. I am still super close to see them and help if necessary, but I also get a little bit of a walk in. Also, make it a rule that if you are outside with your kids, that you don't sit down. If you are standing you're more likely to walk around and the kids will love having you more active with them!
  • Angierae75
    Angierae75 Posts: 417 Member
    I walk for 50 minutes at lunchtime and get between 5000-6000 steps right there. I also set my timer so that every hour I get up and refresh my glass of water and walk for a few minutes. My goal is usually to have 7k steps by the end of my lunch break and 8k steps before I leave work. (right now I'm at 8200 and I have 90 minutes of my work day left.)
  • badgerbadger1
    badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
    I walk the dog on the pathways around the neighbourhood. Beautiful view of the mountains and I get about 8500 steps or 6.5 km done in an hour.
  • machelle04
    machelle04 Posts: 690 Member
    I love my Fitbit currently for this weeks challenge I have over 62k steps in. I have an office job and usual put in over 9 hours a day but I dedicate time each day for 10k steps not including my daily routine. I call it my time to de stress from the corporate world.
    Starting with a smaller goal will help you reach the bigger goal. Good luck!
  • scarlett31uk
    scarlett31uk Posts: 4 Member
    I'm chained to a desk all day with no time to walk at lunchtime so in the evening we put the kids in the stroller and walk 2.5-3 miles which usually takes us well over the 10k. Also handy if my dinner was too big! I use a Fitbit Charge.
  • afhowell757
    afhowell757 Posts: 8 Member
    I have a desk job and I have managed to get in 10K steps. Make a plan, divide your day up in manageable chucks. For example, by 10 am, I should have 2K, by 4 pm, I should have 6K. I try to get in roughly 1.5K every 2 hours. Take 5-10 minutes out of each hour and walk around the office. Use the restrooms and copiers farthest away from your desk. Park far away from the building. Walk during lunch, this is where I get the majority of my steps and after work, do some type of physical activity. While you talking on the phone, walk around instead of sitting on the couch. You have to be creative.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Here tis.... I finally got a step tracker and my grand total of steps yesterday was.. 2381.
    How bloody depressing! That's my average day too. It has definitely spurred me on to do more!
  • punkuate
    punkuate Posts: 127 Member
    I have a desk job and just going to work and going in and out of the office usually gives me about 6-7k. If I go a walk during lunch I can bump that up higher. My trouble is days off where I have to consciously go out and walk. It's so much harder when you're actually thinking about it!
  • tracie_minus100
    tracie_minus100 Posts: 465 Member
    I've made a lot of small changes that add up, in order to increase my step count. For example, if I have something for the recycle bin in the office (empty bottle or something), I used to take it and toss it in there on the way to the bathroom. Now I do everything in separate trips. I'll go to the bathroom, come back, then take it to the recycle bin.
    Things like that...they really do add up.
  • Christine_72
    edited March 2015
    I work from home, sometimes I don't leave the house for days
    I've already walked up and down my street 5 times this morning :wink:
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Wii Walk It Out is a mindless way of getting more steps in. Your steps earn points. You build an island by using points to "buy" trees, bridges, buildings, music, etc.
  • Jerseygrrl
    Jerseygrrl Posts: 189 Member
    I take the long way EVERYWHERE. It's sometimes hard, because I, too, work at a desk all day long. But I've made it a priority.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    they don't count steps ... eg fitbit is on your arm so it's counting your arm movement, and not your feet.

This is WRONG. Fitbit counts steps, arm movement has nothing to do with it (although you can occasionally get a false step if you jerk your arm). I have had my Flex for a year now and test it regularly when I am walking with my phone if I am also running the Map my Walk app. Holding my arm still, I get my steps counted.

• Christine_72
    I'm determined to get up to at least 10,000 steps.
    On grocery shopping days I should get closer
  • aimelee
    aimelee Posts: 216 Member
    i have a fitbit and cant even manage 8k a day most days. i set alarms to get up from my desk and take walks around the office, but if i get busy (or am not wearing proper shoes) it gets skipped. I have no clue how people do it! Unless i am running that day i hardly ever meet my goal and its frustrating!
  • jenniferinfl
    jenniferinfl Posts: 456 Member
    edited March 2015
    I have a customer-facing desk job and because of my work category, I don't get lunches or breaks. We aren't allowed to have water at our desks, but I am allowed to walk back to the next office ten feet away and keep my water bottle there. So, I get around 3000 steps between doing that and chores around the house. Not impressive! It bugs me that I have to add activities now to avoid being completely sedentary.

My last job I would get around 18 miles in a ten hour shift.
    But, there were a lot of snack machines and it was all guys who were eating enough food for 5 people. Very hard to diet there! People would see my lunch and always try to give me food. Awkward!
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    I work from home, sometimes I don't leave the house for days
    I've already walked up and down my street 5 times this morning :wink:

Woo-hoo!

Soon you will be walking around the block, walking to the grocery store, dancing around like a crazy person...maybe even going to the gym!