30-Day Cold Shower Challenge

Options

Replies

• nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,566 Member
    Options
    Cool shower if I've been out in the sweltering Alabama summer heat doing something physical. Warm every other time in the summer, hot in the winter.
  • Virgiree21
    Virgiree21 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I ate a pie the other day that had close to 50 grams of fat.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    BinkyBonk wrote: »
    In.
    For this thread, not for the challenge

+1
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I've been known to soak in a tub of cold water after particularly rigorous training sessions...but that's to help recovery (or at least trick me into thinking it does) and not for weight loss.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    N
    O
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,724 Member
    Options
    All this cold shower talk coupled with snow pics just made my scroat as taut as a snare drum...
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    NOT EVEN ONCE!

• Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    Virgiree21 wrote: »
    A 2009 study found that exposure to extreme cold temperatures activated brown fat in 23 and 24 participants by a 15-fold increase, meaning someone could lose up to nine pounds in a year if they kept this practice up.

What study might that be, deary? Also, I don't believe that many showers are going to have a temperature setting that dips into the extreme cold that would probably be necessary for this to occur. But hey, at least now you can ditch that pesky hot water heater of yours.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    So I only read the op.

So 9 pounds a year by having cold shower? 9 pounds over a year is basically nothing. Hot showers or 1/5 of a pound a week? I'm taking hot showers :smile:

So brown fat is good fat? Why are you going to focus on removing the good fats? If something is good why aim to remove it.
  • jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    Didn't read the links but love cold showers. Better for the skin too
  • mwebster01
    mwebster01 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    no thanks
  • Virgiree21
    Options
    Cool shower if I've been out in the sweltering Alabama summer heat doing something physical. Warm every other time in the summer, hot in the winter.
    Virgiree21 wrote: »
    A 2009 study found that exposure to extreme cold temperatures activated brown fat in 23 and 24 participants by a 15-fold increase, meaning someone could lose up to nine pounds in a year if they kept this practice up.

What study might that be, deary? Also, I don't believe that many showers are going to have a temperature setting that dips into the extreme cold that would probably be necessary for this to occur. But hey, at least now you can ditch that pesky hot water heater of yours.

Have no idea lol. I just put in the weight loss benefit I read about because well.. This is a weight loss thread lol. 9lbs a year isn't much anyways. I'm really more interested in the other benefits. Definitely not giving up hot showers. I actually really like extremely hot showers.( as hot as my body can take) I also turn the shower on really hot few minutes before I get in and when I walk in the bathroom it's like a steam room. I love that shi... But I meant end with a cold shower not take a cold one.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Bahahahahaaaaa

Awaits weight loss through self-flagellation thread

Well, you do lose blood weight once a month, right? Right?! :wink:
  • n0ah1897
    n0ah1897 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've heard this too. I've been taking cold showers as well. It's not exactly comfortable in the shower, but it cuts down on time and water wasted in the shower and you feel wonderful afterwards.
  • _whatsherface
    _whatsherface Posts: 1,235 Member
    Options
    I take a cold shower so my red hair won't bleed as much, but I'd rather not.
  • sw33tp3a11
    sw33tp3a11 Posts: 4,646 Member
    Options
    At the end of each shower I always do a cold rinse. It's refreshing but I don't see weight coming off though. Maybe my cold rinse should last more than 5 seconds to see results
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    So is this like the ice bucket challenge? Should I make a video of myself in the shower and then nominate 3 others.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=b4gRka0qq7s

Here you go.
  • serafinelaveaux
    serafinelaveaux Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I did cold showers for about 3 months when my water heater broke. At the end of the 3 months I was still fat. And cold. And being cold meant tense muscles, which resulted in more pain.

But hey good luck with that!
  • Virgiree21
    Options
    I did cold showers for about 3 months when my water heater broke. At the end of the 3 months I was still fat. And cold. And being cold meant tense muscles, which resulted in more pain.

But hey good luck with that!

That's very unfortunate.