Whole Milk vs Skim

Options

Replies

• ngagne
    ngagne Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Almond milk in protein shakes.
    But if I want a glass, I drink whole milk (4% I think it is). I don't want it often though, maybe once or twice a month.
    Cottage cheese = 4%
    And I would absolutely never use anything except full, regular sour cream. Lite sour cream is gross!
  • Eudoxy
    Eudoxy Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    dawnna76 wrote: »
    kozinskey wrote: »
    our milkman deliveres whole. i have two skinny boys who need the extra fat and i dont drink it often so when i do i prefer the full fat verzion.

Where do you live that you get a milkman? Can I move there??

seattle, its awesome! they bring milk from thier local farms, eggs and baked goods too :)

That is so great! Plus you get all that lovely rain :heart:

Thats what you think, we actually are in danger of being in a drought right now. we just tell people its nasty here to keep them away. there now more space for people as the beautiful mountains and sea take up the most space.

Lies, it's awful it rains all the time ;)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    How is coconut milk different from coconut water?

Coconut water is the water in a coconut. It's low in calories and very low in fat, and is supposed to be good as a post workout drink due to the potassium.

Coconut milk is made from the meat of a coconut and is high in saturated fat because of the presence of coconut oil. It's traditionally used in some Asian cuisines. I'm not sure what the boxed stuff is, but it seems to be lower in fat and calories than the coconut milk I'm familiar with.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Eudoxy wrote: »
    our milkman deliveres whole. i have two skinny boys who need the extra fat and i dont drink it often so when i do i prefer the full fat verzion.

seattle, its awesome! they bring milk from thier local farms, eggs and baked goods too :)

Thats what you think, we actually are in danger of being in a drought right now. we just tell people its nasty here to keep them away. there now more space for people as the beautiful mountains and sea take up the most space.

Haha I'm in Australia. So won't be popping in any time soon :wink:
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I was raised on whole milk. I prefer skim to drink because I prefer the taste. I also prefer it in my tea because anything heavier overpowers the tea flavor. On the other hand, I use half and half in my coffee because skim milk is too light for it.
  • earlnabby
    Options
    wellz6 wrote: »
    It's best to leave things the way nature intended. Many people drink skim milk because they think all fat is bad for you. There is a reason why milk contains fat to begin with.

Most people aren't aware of how skim milk is even made, it's pretty disgusting. Fat-free milk used to be an industrial waste product after the cream was skimmed.

Here is an excerpt from an article I read:

"Before processing, skim milk has a very unappetizing blueish color, a chalky taste, and watery texture that doesn’t resemble natural milk at all. So, to whiten, thicken, and make it taste a little more normal, powdered milk solids are often mixed into the milk.

What’s so bad about powdered milk? Well, in the manufacturing process, liquid milk is forced through tiny holes at very high pressure, which causes the cholesterol in the milk to oxidize, and toxic nitrates to form. Oxidized cholesterol contributes to the buildup of plaque in the arteries, while unoxidized cholesterol from unprocessed foods is actually an antioxidant to help fight inflammation in the body. The proteins found in powdered milk are so denatured that they are unrecognizable by the body and contribute to inflammation.

Shockingly, dairy manufacturers are not required by the FDA to label the powdered milk as a separate ingredient, because it’s still technically just “milk,” the single ingredient found on the list. So, there’s no way to be sure that it is or isn’t in your fat-free or low-fat dairy products."

Where I live the dairy farmers used to actually make a hockey rink out of the "junk milk" since it had no use.

My grandpa separated the cream and sent it off to the creamery for butter. The "junk milk" got fed to the pigs he raised for market and to sell as breeders.

• Eudoxy
    Options

Oh well, you're welcome to come of course! Lol...seriously, August is your best bet if you ever do (unless you like rain). ;)
  • Christine_72
    Options

Oh well, you're welcome to come of course! Lol...seriously, August is your best bet if you ever do (unless you like rain). ;)

I love love love rain! We're looking at moving to another state, and my one prerequisite is somewhere where they have a high rainfall. Our state is the dryest in Australia. Not a good place for me :angry:

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I am curious how many people are drinking the milk they grew up with or converted to at an early age (or didn't care for milk as children if they now like alternative forms of milk).

Like I said above, I rarely drink milk itself, but I just realized that my preferred 2% is what my family had as long as I can remember when I was growing up. As an adult I converted to skim (what my parents drink now, for their perceived health reasons), I subsequently experimented with whole because I thought it might be better for me, but I realized that I actually usually enjoy 2% as much or more. Whole milk in a protein shake is delightfully creamy, but rarely worth the calories, and 2% yogurt or cottage cheese genuinely tastes just as good or better to me, perhaps because that's what formed my taste in the first place.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    I grew up drinking whole milk, which I still much prefer over skim. Full fat just has way too many calories for the amount I drink :disappointed:
  • Eudoxy
    Options
    Yeah, Christine, that's a bummer. Weather does affect us. I moved to California, I was pretty tired of all the rain (although we could sure use some now!).

Back to the milk...2% here, it's what I grew up with.
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Grew up on powdered milk or sometimes skim but now drink grass fed whole milk when I do drink it. i do more cream or coconut milk than milk now.
  • wellz6
    wellz6 Posts: 81
    Options
    wellz6 wrote: »
    Here is an excerpt from an article I read

Do you mind citing your source? I'd love to read that article!

http://butterbeliever.com/fat-free-dairy-skim-milk-secrets/
  • Christine_72
    Options
    Alliwan wrote: »
    Grew up on powdered milk or sometimes skim but now drink grass fed whole milk when I do drink it. i do more cream or coconut milk than milk now.

Powdered milk > shudder < if we ran out of milk when I was a kid, my mum would secretly mix up a batch of powdered milk and pour it into the empty milk carton. Imagine my disgust when I had that first spoonful of cereal that I'd been so looking forward to and it was tainted by that disgusting tasting stuff! I couldn't eat it :angry:
  • Nikkei74
    Nikkei74 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Powdered milk should be reserved for home made pancake shake to take camping. Definitely not for drinking. I grew up with 1% but am a full-fat person now. And speaking of camping, there's nothing better than sweetened condensed milk in your coffee when you're drinking it beside the campfire in the morning. Prior to cooking those pancakes, of course.
  • FluffySandwich
    FluffySandwich Posts: 1,293 Member
    Options
    I think we always had 2% milk in the house growing up, but as a kid I always took skim milk in the elementary school cafeteria. The carton was pink and I could not tell the difference in taste! I wasn't a big milk drinker, though. Now I can definitely tell the difference and think I prefer 2% milk over anything else.
  • earlnabby
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I am curious how many people are drinking the milk they grew up with or converted to at an early age (or didn't care for milk as children if they now like alternative forms of milk).

I grew up on whole milk, partially because my Mom grew up on a dairy farm and that is what they had, from their own cows. Dad wasn't much of a milk drinker so Mom made the choices. I don't know when skim or 2% were introduced but I don't remember them being available. Of course, this was still the days of home delivery in returnable glass bottles. I was in my teens when the family switched to 2%. I started drinking skim in college for the fewer calories and discovered that I preferred the taste and have been drinking it ever since.

I remember how cloying whole milk tasted if it wasn't cold enough. Hot summer days we had it with an ice cube to keep it cool, and the hottest days we were allowed to drink water or iced tea with dinner.

There is still nothing better than a chocolate cake followed by a glass of cold milk!

• J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I drink it all. Whole, 2%, skim, fat free, half and half and heavy whipping cream. Also drink almond, coconut and cashew milk. Depends on what I prefer in the moment and what I have on hand.

Which is healthier? Can't answer that without context of the rest of the diet...
  • kristinhowell
    kristinhowell Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    For most things, I use almond milk. If I'm drinking it, though, I prefer skim or 2% (although I don't drink it often, I prefer using my calories in food, not drinks).