Seriously upped cardio = weight gain

Options
2»

Replies

• VickiLogan11
    VickiLogan11 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Thankyou r5. Gona start with a book I've seen mentioned for women. I think it's called killer curves ??? By Brett someone. Thanks again
  • mimieon
    mimieon Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Most likely water retention in the muscles you started working out more
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Thankyou r5. Gona start with a book I've seen mentioned for women. I think it's called killer curves ??? By Brett someone. Thanks again

I think you mean Bret Contreras - Strong Curves.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Right in the middle of this and ignoring it! I've been biking 15-20 miles, three times this week, in addition to my regular morning workouts. It will pass.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    When you start or increase exercise, your muscles retain water in order to repair themselves, which often results in a temporary scale gain. My loss stalled for 6 weeks when I started lifting weights; it's just part of the process.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Thing is I don't know how to go about it r5. I don't want any bigger arm muscles but would like to tone up my thighs more haha.
    Squats! With weight! It'll also make your butt look awesome.
  • Foxgym
    Foxgym Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    r5d5 wrote: »
    skinny fat is where you lose weight without muscle training, and thus have no muscle mass though your body weight is lower. Typically "skinny fat" people get to the body weight they had in mind but are then disappointed they don't look the way they want to, and continue more dieting with no muscle training...hence vicious cycle.
    Stop the cycle. Lift the heavy things!

Also I would add, that more worryingly among the general population 'Skinny Fat' is a reference to internal or viseral fat around your organs. Many people who appear thin and healthy despite never working out and eating whatever they want can unknowingly have dangerous levels of viseral fat :(

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I will add that it is both. I am currently one of those woman. Fighting this type of "buldge" has proven to me to be quite a challenge.
  • VickiLogan11
    Options
    Thanks for all your replies. My son laughs at me when I try to do squats. Can't seem to get the tecnique right but will give them another go lol.
  • ABarber18
    Options
    Muscle weighs more than fat. Did you take your measurements before the increase? Check those. Did you do your fat percetage with calipers or at the gym with trainer before the increase if so recheck. It may just be a little muscle increase which you will appreciate as you get older. The muscle will protect your bones, the muscle also helps to burn fat :) Which helps to maintain weight.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Skinny fat is when you lose the weight you want, but you still have a proportionally high body fat %. When you lose weight, you lose both fat and lean body mass (especially when you try losing weight quickly and cut calories too much). By doing resistance training and getting sufficient protein, you can minimize the amount of lean body mass lost. You will look more "toned" when you have lower body fat % because you can see the muscle when there is less fat.

It is difficult for women to build muscle accidentally, so don't worry about getting bulky. If you ever do feel like you are too muscley (I know that's not a word...) then it is easy to eat more and put some more fat back on to soften the look.

My goal is "lower body fat %", I don't really care what the number on the scale is any more. It is quite a freeing concept to not have your mind bent about that stupid number that doesn't really mean anything.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Here is an article which might be of interest to you:

https://www.t-nation.com/training/final-nail-in-the-cardio-coffin
  • VickiLogan11
    Options
    Very interesting article deksgrl.
    Given me some ideas of where to go next. Will need to digest this info :) Thankyou
  • cmschapp
    cmschapp Posts: 8
    Options
    Muscle and fat weigh the same. Muscle however does take up less room hence why you may not lose weight but you might lose inches. I love Holly Rigsby. She has a ton of workouts on her you tube channel and she also has a bunch of different workouts you can purchase. I did a search for body weight exercises on her youtube channel. https://www.youtube.com/user/holidayjoi/search?query=bodyweight. I hardly do any long cardion any more. I do mostly kettlebell work and interval training. Hope this helps.
  • VickiLogan11
    Options
    Thankyou all.
    Loving the Holly Rigby workouts. I just need a baby now lol
  • VickiLogan11
    Options
    Think I've settled on the Holly Rigsby workouts :) I've found a timer app for HIIT so all good to go.
    Thanks for all the advise :)
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,434 Member
    Options
    Interesting. Since I started with the C25K programme I've been losing weight again. I've been doing cardio before (swimming), but just walking at a brisk pace interrupted by short runs (week 4 starts today, if the rain stops) seems to burn more calories.