Replies

• hikeout470
    hikeout470 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    I put it in my coffee
  • SciranBG
    SciranBG Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    When I use it, I blend it in coffee, with a scoop of protein powder. For me that works great as a meal-replacement drink. Add sugar and you can hit all 3 macros.
  • vbaez6
    vbaez6 Posts: 18
    Options
    I say go for it. You're always going to have people out there that are trying to disprove a good thing. Coconut oil has plenty of studies proclaiming its benefits. I personally cook with it, my husband uses it in his hair, and we both put it in our oatmeal in the mornings.
  • beautyzlight
    Options
    Thanks guys....that's the info I've been looking for. They described it as being this super food that aids in weight loss. I'd been putting a tablespoonful in my coffee EVERYDAY....I'm going to cut it down to 1/2 tsp because I don't see it helping me any either!! Thanks again.

Everything takes time :) but I highly suggest it to those with high cholesterol and or high blood pressure. Coconut oil has nothing but good acid fats and is very good for you internally. I would say do more research and go with your best instinct. Good luck!! :)

• cdn_beaver
    cdn_beaver Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I put 1T of coconut oil, 1T of kerrygold butter, and a bit of sweetener into my tazo chai tea. Blend it up and it tastes like a chai tea latte from Starbucks! Keeps me full for 4-5 hours too.
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    randomtai wrote: »
    eloise80 wrote: »
    Completely obsessed with my afternoon snack:

2 T popcorn
    couple sprays coconut oil
    1 T nutritional yeast

200 Cals of salty coconutty cheezy heaven!

Also keep a jar in my shower- it's been amazing for my skin this winter. Never tried it in my hair or tea. That kinda grosses me out Lol

Rubbing it on your skin is fine, but putting it in your hair grosses you out??? Oooook... :noway:

Do you have to wash it out or do you apply and leave like Argan oil? I dont care either way. I need some serious conditioning on the ends of my hair. Also...just use cheaper one from cooking section or is it a differently processed for hair?
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    _SKIM_ wrote: »

2 T popcorn
    1 T nutritional yeast

Also keep a jar in my shower- it's been amazing for my skin this winter. Never tried it in my hair or tea. That kinda grosses me out Lol

Rubbing it on your skin is fine, but putting it in your hair grosses you out??? Oooook... :noway:

Do you have to wash it out or do you apply and leave like Argan oil? I dont care either way. I need some serious conditioning on the ends of my hair. Also...just use cheaper one from cooking section or is it a differently processed for hair?

I put it on my hair before bed and shampoo it out in the morning. It makes your hair greasy, so not like argan oil. I put the same stuff in my hair that i eat. Just 2 separate jars.
  • beautyzlight
    Options
    I personally leave my coconut oil in my hair all day on Sunday. I wash it out Monday Morning.I use shampoo twice and then condition it. But I never leave it in my hair because it makes it greasy even just a small spoon full. It goes a long way.... if u wAnt a nice light oil for your hair try sweet almond oil.
  • beautyzlight
    Options

2 T popcorn
    1 T nutritional yeast

I put it on my hair before bed and shampoo it out in the morning. It makes your hair greasy, so not like argan oil. I put the same stuff in my hair that i eat. Just 2 separate jars.

Agreed^^^^
  • lezlie21
    lezlie21 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    OK, I am hearing sooooooo many conflicting stories relating to Coconut Oil. I incorporated a tablespoonful in my diet each day about a month ago because I heard about all its good benefits. Today, I read a story that says just the opposite, so my question is....should I add the tablespoonful to my Coffee or not!!! I can't seem to get a straight answer!!! What say ye? lol!! :s

Read Wheat Belly Total health by Dr. Davis. Ive lost 6 lbs in last 2 wks since being on it. Coconut oil is fantastic! You eat more fats, little carbs. I eat only meats, veggies(no root veggies/potatoes), berries only(moderation), nuts and cheeses. So basically anything that doesnt need a label. Using coconut oil everyday but taking in processed crap especially the frozen entrees and rice, noodles, potatoes, you will not see its affects. Ive also stopped having IBS! Like seriously! Finally normal. Also more energy! Its crazy! And cholesterol is lowering. Yes, on high fat diet. Its the GMO grains that cause it. Hardly any grain out there is original and not been tampered with. I mean 99%. So rid it from your system and WOW! I struggle getting in 1400 cals a day. Its that I am not hungry anymore. The fats, right foods keep me satisfied. Wheat will make you crave more wheat. I totally was against all this and thought it was nonsense. So I did my own research and tested it out, got results and wow. I also have clarity to do college algebra and recall everything from 17 yrs ago and I HATE math. All for prep for school in 3 wks. So the outcomes are amazing. It isnt a diet, its a lifestyle change. Its not GF, its grain free, none of that GF crap that is just as processed as regular.
  • Qskim
    Options

2 T popcorn
    1 T nutritional yeast

Thanks!
  • Qskim
    Options
    I personally leave my coconut oil in my hair all day on Sunday. I wash it out Monday Morning.I use shampoo twice and then condition it. But I never leave it in my hair because it makes it greasy even just a small spoon full. It goes a long way.... if u wAnt a nice light oil for your hair try sweet almond oil.

Actually this is probs more practical for me. Almond oil sounds lovely too. Thanks for that.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    3laine75 wrote: »
    No way would I put it in my coffee but in my frying pan, on my hair, on my face, on my body - hell yes!

exactly.

I've made bulletproof coffee before- and while it's good- it's way to much work and it's honestly not THAT good.

but I use it regularly to cook and for a toiletry- I keep two jars- it's my go to make up remover- and my after shower moisturizer for my body and my hair.
  • hollyrayburn
    hollyrayburn Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    No way would I put it in my coffee but in my frying pan, on my hair, on my face, on my body - hell yes!

exactly.

I've made bulletproof coffee before- and while it's good- it's way to much work and it's honestly not THAT good.

but I use it regularly to cook and for a toiletry- I keep two jars- it's my go to make up remover- and my after shower moisturizer for my body and my hair.

How'd you do your bulletproof? I was told to put like, half a stick of butter in my cup. No way I could handle that lol. I did a couple spoonfuls, though, and it was tasty :). Only did it once, I do prefer my creamer or milk!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

exactly.

How'd you do your bulletproof? I was told to put like, half a stick of butter in my cup. No way I could handle that lol. I did a couple spoonfuls, though, and it was tasty :). Only did it once, I do prefer my creamer or milk!

tablespoon of each- at most 2 for the whole small pot (two mugs)- I tried the blender- I have made them in shaker cup with a blender ball too.

I find it's just way to messy- but I'm with you- no way I could put an entire stick of butter in there. That's just crazy talk.
  • missanglang
    missanglang Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I put a spoonful of it in my oatmeal every morning. I've found that extra protein and an iron supplement I have to take because of my blood counts led to a problem in the bathroom that a spoonful of that everyday takes care of. also, my cholesterol and blood pressure have gone down since I've started this.
  • janetsalley
    janetsalley Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    lezlie21 wrote: »
    OK, I am hearing sooooooo many conflicting stories relating to Coconut Oil. I incorporated a tablespoonful in my diet each day about a month ago because I heard about all its good benefits. Today, I read a story that says just the opposite, so my question is....should I add the tablespoonful to my Coffee or not!!! I can't seem to get a straight answer!!! What say ye? lol!! :s

Read Wheat Belly Total health by Dr. Davis. Ive lost 6 lbs in last 2 wks since being on it. Coconut oil is fantastic! You eat more fats, little carbs. I eat only meats, veggies(no root veggies/potatoes), berries only(moderation), nuts and cheeses. So basically anything that doesnt need a label. Using coconut oil everyday but taking in processed crap especially the frozen entrees and rice, noodles, potatoes, you will not see its affects. Ive also stopped having IBS! Like seriously! Finally normal. Also more energy! Its crazy! And cholesterol is lowering. Yes, on high fat diet. Its the GMO grains that cause it. Hardly any grain out there is original and not been tampered with. I mean 99%. So rid it from your system and WOW! I struggle getting in 1400 cals a day. Its that I am not hungry anymore. The fats, right foods keep me satisfied. Wheat will make you crave more wheat. I totally was against all this and thought it was nonsense. So I did my own research and tested it out, got results and wow. I also have clarity to do college algebra and recall everything from 17 yrs ago and I HATE math. All for prep for school in 3 wks. So the outcomes are amazing. It isnt a diet, its a lifestyle change. Its not GF, its grain free, none of that GF crap that is just as processed as regular.

Thanks for the info! :smile:

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,994 Member
    Options
    lezlie21 wrote: »

Thanks for the info! :smile:
    From coconut oil to wheat..........people like to believe in magic.......hey, coconut oil is grain free.

• skysiebaby
    skysiebaby Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    There was a programme on in the UK last night discussing this very topic incidentally, below taken from the website http://www.itv.com/news/2015-03-19/tonight-the-food-we-eat-superfoods-fact-or-fiction/

'The programme looks at coconut oil which is fast taking on superfood status among its advocates. UK spending on coconut oil has nearly tripled in two years.

It’s claimed that sticking coconut oil in your diet can help combat dementia, obesity and diabetes. Elite athletes are also using it and Sale Sharks Rugby Club has been incorporated into the players’ meals for the last two years.

Sale player Ross Harrison tells the programme how important it is to eat correctly and that he believes coconut oil has a positive effect.

But the benefits of coconut oil are currently unproven as the science has not yet been done.

And there are some critics of coconut oil.

The bottom-line is coconut oil is very, very high in saturated fat. We know for sure that a diet high in saturated fat will raise blood cholesterol that increases your risk of heart disease.”

– Nigel Denby, Dietician'
  • rhtexasgal
    rhtexasgal Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I use coconut oil more for cosmetic reasons than food reasons. I use it as a make-up remover AND a moisturizer under my make-up. My routine is: after early a.m. gym time, I shower and then apply a small amount of coconut oil to my face and neck and blend in, taking care not to be greasy-faced! After a few minutes, I apply my cosmetics as usual. At night, I will use coconut oil once again to remove my make-up and then follow up with a light cleansing using baby shampoo (hey if it is gentle enough for babies, it is gentle enough for my face!). The baby shampoo, gets rid of the coconut residue. Before bed, I will use a light application as a night-time moisturizer. I also use it as a sunscreen if I am only going to be out in the sun for a little bit. (It also helps sunburn heal quicker)

I do add coconut oil to my coffee - yum! Use it for popcorn too. I purchase the liquid form of coconut oil and mix it with flavored vinegars for salad dressing - another yum!