All about the bass...

Options

Replies

• azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    All of this is the influence of Latin and African cultures on our own.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I dunno. My hips/butt are almost down to 38 inches from starting at 44, and I'm hoping it won't get any smaller. I have no breasts. I want to keep something, whether it jiggles or whether I bulk and get a muscular bum.
  • Dragn77
    Dragn77 Posts: 810 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

Im actually not even so sure about it being of African culture! Of course, it can just be based on who Ive met personally...but all of my friends from Africa have incredibly slender bodies...or, the size of their rear is proportional in size to the rest of them. Also, my family teases that I got my body shape from my Cuban and Belizean genes.

Ive noticed it more, really, amongst Caribbean and Latin American than any other cultures.
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,499 Member
    Options
    I love this thread. I grew up hearing about the dreaded "secretary spread" and it was quite the shock when that stopped being something to fear and became something to celebrate!

While I have built up my backside via squats, deadlifts, 20+ years of horseback riding, etc., I will never be blessed in that department. Even at my heaviest I had relatively narrow, somewhat boyish hips. I will never be bootylicious, at any weight. <sigh>
  • Katerina9408
    Katerina9408 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »
    There's a developing story in my area about a woman who was unhappy with her butt injections and filed a complaint. Turns out the two women (well, one named Jimmy Joe dresses as a woman) running the operation were doing so for years (evidently with many happy customers) with no licensing and are now on the lam. Past customers said they used "hydrogel", hardware grade I think, and superglue to close the injection site. I was laughing at this story until someone turned up dead on a table in the abandoned clinic. Not so funny.

I'm not old enough to remember "Twiggy" or to be influenced by that period, but I was raised by people who were. "Fat is bad, you're getting fat, don't get fat, those pants make your butt look big, ..." OMG, there was no end to it. A constant refrain. Long before I got chubby, even. It seems I've worked decades for a small firm butt. I can't imagine ever in a million years paying money and enduring pain to get a BIGGER butt. And a jiggly one at that!

Any other stories about crazy stuff people do in pursuit of their body ideal out there? I'm feeling awfully out of step with pop culture at the moment.

Big butt,small butt,big breasted or small, red hair,blond,black etc.....what does it matter ? Why is everyone so obsessed of it ? It is all about how you feel,doesn't matter the shape or skin color. You should love you for you and for the person you are not some physical charectaristics !
  • Katerina9408
    Options
    Also you shouldn't risk your life for something like this. Life is priceless !
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    @katerina9408.... party pooper!
  • Katerina9408
    Options
    gia07 wrote: »
    @katerina9408.... party pooper!

Just the truth...Trends always change and that shouldn't affect the way you see yourself. Your brain is the most sexies part of you ;)
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Still a party pooper!!!!
  • azulvioleta6
    Options
    Dragn77 wrote: »

Im actually not even so sure about it being of African culture! Of course, it can just be based on who Ive met personally...but all of my friends from Africa have incredibly slender bodies...or, the size of their rear is proportional in size to the rest of them. Also, my family teases that I got my body shape from my Cuban and Belizean genes.

Ive noticed it more, really, amongst Caribbean and Latin American than any other cultures.

I am mostly talking about the Latin cultures with a lot of West African influence.

Brazilians, for example, are all about the butt...certainly not a new thing there.

I still have a nice butt, but I certainly have lost a lot of weight there. If I could take my belly fat and put it back on my butt without changing my weight, I would be totally happy with my body.

I was doing a Cuban dance demo last night and all of the Americans there were like "OMG, you can move your hips and butt! I could never move like that!"
  • Katerina9408
    Options
    gia07 wrote: »
    Still a party pooper!!!!

I am just sick of seeing woman (mostly) do some crazy stuff for something so shallow like appearance when they can be enjoying life and be happy
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I feel like I am incredibly clueless about different body shapes being in or out of fashion. A month or so ago I told my husband that, only over the last year and only by looking at various fitness sites did I realize how much people talk/think about butts. I understand trying to be the best you that you can be but going to dangerous lengths to be the "in" shape blows my mind.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    There are many things people do that are kind of crazy. especially with cosmetic procedures.

Like having implants in the calves, biceps, chest, abs, etc.
    Having lasers burn off our body hair.
    injected acid/toxins to give their skin more volume.
    having fat surgically sucked off our bodies.
    having fat surgically injected where we want it.
    etc.

but then again, we think things like dyeing our hair, bleaching our teeth, tanning our skin, wearing colored contacts, etc. are all normal.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    There are many things people do that are kind of crazy. especially with cosmetic procedures.

etc.

but then again, we think things like dyeing our hair, bleaching our teeth, tanning our skin, wearing colored contacts, etc. are all normal.

Yup. Weird when you take a step back.

I have 3 daughters, all teens and tweens now. I try to enforce in them that fitness and health is about celebrating what their bodies can DO, and not what they look like.

My 13 year old taught the 10 year old how to do solid pushups the other night. They did a happy dance in front of American Idol to celebrate. I might have been a little "who's an awesome mom? I'M AN AWESOME MOM!" in my head....
  • azulvioleta6
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    I feel like I am incredibly clueless about different body shapes being in or out of fashion. A month or so ago I told my husband that, only over the last year and only by looking at various fitness sites did I realize how much people talk/think about butts. I understand trying to be the best you that you can be but going to dangerous lengths to be the "in" shape blows my mind.

Take a look at this:

buzzfeed.com/eugeneyang/womens-ideal-body-types-throughout-history#.ekDzANm9o9

I think that the larger butt trend is not going away any time soon. As our cultural, racial and ethnic makeup changes in the US, body ideals change too.
  • Katerina9408
    Options

etc.

Well they dyeing your hair is not the most perfectly natural thing to do but you can't compare it to procedures that put your life at risk. There should be some borders.Sometimes you just need to step back and ask yourself "Why am I doing this and is it woth it ? " This whole thing ( about eating and exrcising etc.) should be about improving your health not destroying it...
  • rainbowbow
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

Take a look at this:

buzzfeed.com/eugeneyang/womens-ideal-body-types-throughout-history#.ekDzANm9o9

I think that the larger butt trend is not going away any time soon. As our cultural, racial and ethnic makeup changes in the US, body ideals change too.

I just have to say, that this video is so highly inaccurate it's laughable. I'm sorry, but you cant take someone who's 50lbs overweight, do their hair, and say it's the same as the "ideal of beauty" in that time frame.

p0HoulS.png

You'll notice her visible abs in the painting.

Anything for controversy, eh buzzfeed?
  • azulvioleta6
    Options
    I'm guess they weren't basing the interpretation of "ideal" on one single work of art.
  • rainbowbow
    Options

etc.

Well they dyeing your hair is not the most perfectly natural thing to do but you can't compare it to procedures that put your life at risk. There should be some borders.Sometimes you just need to step back and ask yourself "Why am I doing this and is it woth it ? " This whole thing ( about eating and exrcising etc.) should be about improving your health not destroying it...

Who cares, seriously? If someone is stupid enough to go and get some unknown substance injected into their body by some unlicensed person, and have their wounds literally super glued together, what do you expect? I claim natural selection on that.

As far as actual cosmetic procedures are concerned that are done by licensed professionals and have been tested, and someone decides it's worth risking their life to modify their body, more power to them! It's none of my business if someone chooses to have selective surgery to alter their appearance and they know all risks going into it. it's ultimately their body and they have to live with themselves.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Even when I was 95 lbs, I had a shelf. It was built and round.

I still have a huge butt now… only difference is it has jiggle.