Counting raw fruits and vegetables?

Options
Just want to see how many of you count fruits and vegetables in your diary. I count oranges, sweet potatoes and bananas. But not foods like lettuce, salad etc.

Replies

• honkytonks85
    honkytonks85 Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I add them. I don't count them though.
  • debubbie
    debubbie Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    If I eat it, I count it because it still has calories. Salad veggies doesn't have a lot of calories, but they can add up if you eat a lot of those veggies. For people that have a little bit of weight to lose have to be more accurate in logging their food than someone with 100 pounds or more to lose to get the results they want. The 100 unlogged calories in a veggie salad every day can mean a big deal for them to lose that last bit of weight.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Into mouth = Into log when logging accurately.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    My goal is to create a calorie deficit. If I don't log foods with calories, I have no idea how I am doing.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I log them when I'm logging. Because I'm also tracking things like macros and vitamin totals, which would be thrown off if I skipped the veggies.
  • emilyrigh
    emilyrigh Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of raw veggies and fruit. I log everything to see my fiber and vitamin intake.
  • BrianHageman
    BrianHageman Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I log them, but I don't stress if I go over my daily number because I had an apple after dinner (because I didn't have the cookie!).
  • Chadillac8884
    Chadillac8884 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thanks. Just curious. I have family members that used Weight Watchers and they don't have to count fruits and veggies. I still stay in a deficit daily, so I don't think it makes too much of a difference for me. This is my second go round with MFP.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Like the others have said, they may not add up too much in calories but I like to watch my macros/micros and some fruit and veggies pack a big punch in that area.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Thanks. Just curious. I have family members that used Weight Watchers and they don't have to count fruits and veggies. I still stay in a deficit daily, so I don't think it makes too much of a difference for me. This is my second go round with MFP.

Weight Watchers generally gets away with it by setting slightly lower goals so that fruits and veggies won't derail your progress. Not tracking them works fine for some people, so if you're losing at the pace you want then great!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    My deficit is small enough and I eat enough vegetables, that I could nearly wipe it out if I didn't weigh and log all my veggies. I don't really eat fruit, but when I do it's definitely weighed and logged.
  • TaylerM20
    Options
    Yep, I add mine. Tracking macros, I want to be as accurate as possible!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I've lost count of how many times I've heard people say "But you can't gain weight eating fruit and vegetables"...
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    I log them when I'm logging. Because I'm also tracking things like macros and vitamin totals, which would be thrown off if I skipped the veggies.

Yes, but do you log pizza? hehehhehehehehe

• snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    Everything has calories and they add up, so I log everything I eat or drink.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    if it has calories, it gets counted
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    I log everything I eat under normal circumstances. This means I log everything or nothing, like today, because I have the flu and have not yet eaten anything so far.
    I don't eat a lot of fruit, because I don't care too much for anything sweet. I eat a lot of vegetables ( anywhere from 5-11 servings a day ) and at an average of 40 calories a serving I cannot just leave 200-400 calories a day by the wayside. This is especially true because I eat due to age and size ( under 5 feet ) a 1200 calorie diet.
    I am always surprised when people mention that the amount of vegetables they eat is not worthwhile logging. Even the recommended minimum amount adds up every day.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I weigh and log.
  • GrammyPeachy
    GrammyPeachy Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    I log it all. Some fruits have quite a few calories, especially if you eat loads of them just because they're considered "free" foods.
  • jenglish712
    jenglish712 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I log them but am much more cavalier about estimating romaine lettuce than I am say cream cheese or butter. 50% under guess on romaine will have a minimal impact. But if I don't log at all it's easy to let things get out of hand.