All about the bass...

Options

Replies

• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I'm guess they weren't basing the interpretation of "ideal" on one single work of art.

All poses and bodies they use in that video are based upon artwork and paintings during that time frame. This is how we judge trends and detnote changes in the "pop culture" of their time. None of us were alive hundreds of years ago, but i can assure you if we were you'd notice that every single one of the things buzzfeed uses is innacurate up until they get to the 1900's.

Even their model that is styled to look like marilyn is significantly larger than she ever was by atleast 20-30 pounds. She was a size 2 in today's sizing with measurements being 37-23-37.
    6a00e5506da99788330153914a319f970b-pi

Here's another girl with a 23 inch waist.
    med_gallery_19775_3286_55671.jpg

I'm simply pointing out that the video you posted is just plain wrong. It's been debunked. And it is commonly used by people in the "fat acceptance" movement to claim that being morbidly obese is healthy, desirable, and it's "unnatural" for humans to like slender and fit bodies. it's just plain wrong.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    There are many things people do that are kind of crazy. especially with cosmetic procedures.

Like having implants in the calves, biceps, chest, abs, etc.
    Having lasers burn off our body hair.
    injected acid/toxins to give their skin more volume.
    having fat surgically sucked off our bodies.
    having fat surgically injected where we want it.
    etc.

but then again, we think things like dyeing our hair, bleaching our teeth, tanning our skin, wearing colored contacts, etc. are all normal.

Yep, some of these give me heebejeebees. Plus, injecting botulism toxin to paralyze the muscles that make squinty laugh lines. I'm just not into needles. I'd make a lousy heroin addict.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I've always thought that song was called FAT bottomed girls! :laugh:
  • runnrchic
    runnrchic Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Squats squats and more squats!
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    I've always thought that song was called FAT bottomed girls! :laugh:
    It is!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMnjF1O4eH0
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I've always had a big butt since I hit puberty. It sucked growing up in the 90's when thin was in. I still have a big butt... I'm a size 11 in jeans but can wear most any small/medium dresses. I LOVE the big butt movement because I get to show mine off more and not feel weird about it!
  • flabassmcgee
    flabassmcgee Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I hate having a big butt. My family picked on me for it a lot. Now I have friends that say they'd kill to have my butt! Having a round bubble butt is in but I want out!! Bring on the firm, perky squat butt already!! :'(
  • kotarea
    kotarea Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    No matter how much weight I lose my butt stays the same which I am not complaining about whatsoever but I cannot imagine paying money to have a bigger backside... you want it you work for it! Squats, glute bridge, kneeling leg lifts etc...
  • Cassie_DE
    Cassie_DE Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I've always been over weight, but at my heaviest I think I wore it relatively well because I had large breasts and, you know, a big butt. My butt has just about evaporated, and I genuinely miss it, jiggles and all.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    I can't believe that Sir Mix Alot has not made an appearance on this thread.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »
    There's a developing story in my area about a woman who was unhappy with her butt injections and filed a complaint. Turns out the two women (well, one named Jimmy Joe dresses as a woman) running the operation were doing so for years (evidently with many happy customers) with no licensing and are now on the lam. Past customers said they used "hydrogel", hardware grade I think, and superglue to close the injection site. I was laughing at this story until someone turned up dead on a table in the abandoned clinic. Not so funny.

I'm not old enough to remember "Twiggy" or to be influenced by that period, but I was raised by people who were. "Fat is bad, you're getting fat, don't get fat, those pants make your butt look big, ..." OMG, there was no end to it. A constant refrain. Long before I got chubby, even. It seems I've worked decades for a small firm butt. I can't imagine ever in a million years paying money and enduring pain to get a BIGGER butt. And a jiggly one at that!

Any other stories about crazy stuff people do in pursuit of their body ideal out there? I'm feeling awfully out of step with pop culture at the moment.

Related story.

So I'm sitting in the airport waiting for my flight to leave one day. Years ago. The gate area is not that crowded, so there's a slight buzz of chatter, but not enough to drown out the TVs that are set to CNN.

New story comes on. A woman is suing her plastic surgeon for using "silicon breasts for her butt implant surgery."

CROWD GOES COMPLETELY SILENT.

Everyone is suddenly paying attention to the TV. It was awesome.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    An in-shape butt is going to look nice, regardless of its size. I've seen small sad pancake butts to big wide elephant butts. Common denominator: out-of-shape.

Looking at butts is a favorite part of people watching for me. It's like a compulsion.
    50452 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with using Superglue. As I recall, sticking skin together after surgery is it's original purpose and only later did they start using it to stick coffee cups back together.

Hairdressers use it regularly to close the cuts that the acquire when their scissors snip the skin between their fingers while cutting hair.

A mortician told me that he uses it to keep corpses eyes shut (< stupid trivia that I have in my head :\ )

I do not understand why people would think it's appropriate to bargain shop for any kind of medical procedure. That is not the place to go looking for discounts.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Mine was always really flat, even at my heaviest, until I started lifting. Yay for squats!
  • DearestWinter
    DearestWinter Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    OdesAngel wrote: »
    An in-shape butt is going to look nice, regardless of its size. I've seen small sad pancake butts to big wide elephant butts. Common denominator: out-of-shape.

Looking at butts is a favorite part of people watching for me. It's like a compulsion.

I do this too! And totally agreed that out-of-shape butts are the least desirable. It doesn't matter if you're big or small. Mine can get flat if I'm not doing some minimal exercise. Not saggy flat (not yet) but definitely uninspiring. It doesn't matter how much I weigh. But if I throw in some exercise then it perks up!
  • MaryCS62
    MaryCS62 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I have an hourglass/pear shape (wide shoulders, smallish waist, big hips, big legs). My sister is slim, except for a rounded tush. Her hs boyfriend once told her her butt was too big, & she started freaking out until I told her that her butt was the only way you could see she was a girl (from her shape-- very pretty face!) !!!
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's cultural (though I could be wrong about that). My feeling is more that, as some others have stated, being overweight is becoming not only accepted but the norm. So "a little extra" is accepted and even expected, BUT with the caveat that it has to be "in the right places." (So we're still pretty restricted in whether or not we're acceptable in other people's eyes. That much hasn't changed and, IMO, is still as silly as it's ever been.)

I have a big waist. I always have. Even at 95 lbs., with three miles of very fast walking per day, daily PE class (and our gym teacher WORKED us) plus walking places after school, and then doing calisthenics (as we used to call them - push-ups, sit-ups and so on), my waist was 27 inches. Yes, really. I was definitely not skinny fat and remember sitting down and then pinching my waist to make sure I could pinch less than half an inch, and that was with digging deep. Barring the removal of a rib or two, I'll never be the hourglass ideal. It hasn't seemed to get in my way. I've lived my life and been happy. :)
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    This thread is worthless without pics.

Let me get it started . . .

gjn72cleursv.jpg
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,497 Member
    Options
    LAWoman72 wrote: »
    I don't think it's cultural (though I could be wrong about that). My feeling is more that, as some others have stated, being overweight is becoming not only accepted but the norm. So "a little extra" is accepted and even expected, BUT with the caveat that it has to be "in the right places." (So we're still pretty restricted in whether or not we're acceptable in other people's eyes. That much hasn't changed and, IMO, is still as silly as it's ever been.)

I have a big waist. I always have. Even at 95 lbs., with three miles of very fast walking per day, daily PE class (and our gym teacher WORKED us) plus walking places after school, and then doing calisthenics (as we used to call them - push-ups, sit-ups and so on), my waist was 27 inches. Yes, really. I was definitely not skinny fat and remember sitting down and then pinching my waist to make sure I could pinch less than half an inch, and that was with digging deep. Barring the removal of a rib or two, I'll never be the hourglass ideal. It hasn't seemed to get in my way. I've lived my life and been happy. :)

Same here! I graduated high school weighing 93 pounds at 5'4" tall. Waist? 27 inches. It will never get smaller than that. I don't have enough room between my hip bones and my rib cage! That's why I hate hearing about the waist to height ratio or waist to hip. I had a 32" waist when my weight was in the 140s. I don't think I even qualified as overweight, but I was in the danger zone. Also, between having a large waist and hips that refuse to grow, I will never have below a .8 waist to hip ratio. Just isn't going to happen. Oh, well. Here's to being "not ideal!" <raises glass>
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    Nice try Cortelli, nice try!