Low carb

Options
I'm trying to do low carb high protien/ fat. Is this the best way for weight loss? What are the best macros???

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Low carb works in the same way any diet works...it puts you into an energy deficit. There's nothing magical about going low carb....carbs don't make you fat.

There are certain metabolic health conditions for which going low carb can be beneficial...but outside of that, it's not necessary.

Also, there is no one size fits all macro ratio. If you do low carb I would recommend low carb high fat, moderate . Low carb is generally less than 100 grams.
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    The best way to lose weight is just eat at a calorie deficit. All these fads such as low carb etc are is another way of creating a deficit. If you are able to eat like that long term that's fine. Everyone is different so just find a method of eating that is sustainable for you. For a lot of people low carb is very difficult to sustain (despite what the Fanboys/girls say) but if you think you can eat like that long term give it a go or you could just eat normal foods just less of it by using MFP to accurately track your calories. (Remember to weigh all solids and measure liquids)
  • laurengilbert08
    laurengilbert08 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Ive lost 7 stone in 2 years but I now think I need to tone up and build lean muscel but also still loose! I'm so confused! It takes over your life!
  • runnrchic
    runnrchic Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I could never eat low carb. I eat between 250-350gr of carbs/day on about 1850-1950 cals maintaining on goal wt at 119 5'6". If you like higher protein foods then go for it. What gets me is people force feeding themselves nasty protein shakes and eating foods they don't like because they "have" to hit MFP protein goals. I usually get about 1/2-2/3 of the protein goal on MFP. I do not like too many high density protein foods because I feel more "weighed down" so to speak, but everything I eat has protein. Fruits and veggies have protein! There is no reason to choose a cheese stick over an apple because you "need" more protein...unless you just prefer the cheese stick. Just eat at a calorie deficit of foods you enjoy that make you feel energetic. That is the best way to do a lifestyle change.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    Ive lost 7 stone in 2 years but I now think I need to tone up and build lean muscel but also still loose! I'm so confused! It takes over your life!

You are overthinking it if it's taking over your life.

Eat well. If you are near your goal weight, eat at a SMALL deficit. You should be losing VERY slowly as you get closer to your maintenance weight, so that when you get there, you'll barely notice a change in your eating.

If you want to preserve your muscle and be more fit, add protein to your diet and exercise to your life. Carbohydrates are good for energy, they don't "make you fat" or any such nonsense. Protein will help preserve muscle mass, exercise will help you be fit. That's all.

• blaher09
    blaher09 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Low carb has been shown in case studies, that people lose more fat on the same calorie diets than a low fat diet. However, that can mainly be attributed to water weight in a lot of cases. Low carb however does have that added benefit of aiding a lot of other issues with excessive weight, such as blood sugar and blood pressure. There is also added cognitive gains, when choosing to fuel your brains with ketones instead of glucose. It has also been shown to help prevent neuron degradation, especially in neurological disease cases. It is effective in treating diabetes, bipolar, epilepsy, Parkinson's, and Alzheimer's. Most keto dieters will use the paleo diet, which most doctors will prefer with going on a whole food paleo diet, instead of eating processed foods. However, it is very important to keep up on Electrolytes and make sure you get plenty of Potassium, as you liver will require more to function in a low carb diet.

If choosing low carb, it should not just for weight loss, but the other added health benefits as well. Try researching in to an ketosis diet, but also speak with your doctor.
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    blaher09 wrote: »
    Low carb has been shown in case studies, that people lose more fat on the same calorie diets than a low fat diet. However, that can mainly be attributed to water weight in a lot of cases. Low carb however does have that added benefit of aiding a lot of other issues with excessive weight, such as blood sugar and blood pressure. There is also added cognitive gains, when choosing to fuel your brains with ketones instead of glucose. It has also been shown to help prevent neuron degradation, especially in neurological disease cases. It is effective in treating diabetes, bipolar, epilepsy, Parkinson's, and Alzheimer's. Most keto dieters will use the paleo diet, which most doctors will prefer with going on a whole food paleo diet, instead of eating processed foods. However, it is very important to keep up on Electrolytes and make sure you get plenty of Potassium, as you liver will require more to function in a low carb diet.

If choosing low carb, it should not just for weight loss, but the other added health benefits as well. Try researching in to an ketosis diet, but also speak with your doctor.

Link to studies please
  • runnrchic
    edited March 2015
    Options
    blaher09 wrote: »
    Low carb however does have that added benefit of aiding a lot of other issues with excessive weight, such as blood sugar and blood pressure. There is also added cognitive gains, when choosing to fuel your brains with ketones instead of glucose. It has also been shown to help prevent neuron degradation, especially in neurological disease cases.

I respectfully disagree as not to confuse the OP. I eat what most people here would call a 'high carb' diet of mainly fruits, veggies, legumes, and whole grains. This has not contributed to high blood pressure. In fact, it is perfect, my triglycerides from fasting blood sugar are perfect, my good cholesterol is in the 70's; my ratio is 2.3. Every single health stat I had taken a few weeks ago is absolutely perfect. Do not confuse the OP by saying that a higher carb ratio is a path to all these diseases you mention.
  • JimFsfitnesspal
    JimFsfitnesspal Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    For me, yes it was / is the best way.

If you eat fewer calories than you eat, you will lose weight. The keys for me to hitting those calorie goals are portion control, fitness (heavy lifting & slow uphill climbs), frequent small meals & snacks, and I limit my carbs.

The last two items leave me feeling satiated much of the day which helps me control my eating.

I shoot for 100g of carbs per day but if you consistently hit below 135g then you get the benefits of a mild keto. I do not worry too much about hitting my protein goal. I do what I can to try to reach it without using protein bars & shakes in excess.

• JimFsfitnesspal
    JimFsfitnesspal Posts: 313 Member
    Options

Bottom line: If you eat fewer calories than you ingest you will lose weight. If you lift heavy weights you will build or maintain muscle.

That said, there are plenty of studies that show that one group of low carb and other not, both groups lost the same WEIGHT, but the low carb group lost more FAT and maintained or gained more muscle. Obese people tended to gain "significant" muscle.

Young lean weightlifters and anyone into endurance sports like running, swimming, biking need alot of carbs. Obese or overweight people benefit alot from low carb.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Deficit.

Also, I'd like to see the links to said studies showing benefits in regards to neurological issues, please.
  • HeySwoleSister
    Options
    cityruss wrote: »
    Deficit.

Also, I'd like to see the links to said studies showing benefits in regards to neurological issues, please.

No kidding.

I have seen some studies that link very low carb diets to depression and sleep disorders, but I don't think they are absolutely conclusive. But, carbohydrates do enhance tryptophan and serotonin production, which both impact sleep and mood, so, who knows?
  • Mistizoom
    Mistizoom Posts: 578 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    OP, if you are interested in talking to others who eat low carb, please join us in the Low Carber Daily Forum: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

As for the benefits re: neurological issues, the book Grain Brain: The Surprising Truth about Wheat, Carbs, and Sugar--Your Brain's Silent Killers by Dr. David Perlmutter addresses those issues pretty well. There is a reason why Alzheimer's is called "type 3 diabetes".
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Deficit.

Neurological disorders, like epilepsy, are treated with keto diets under medical supervision. The ketones provide an alternative fuel source for the brain since these disorders can have something to do with glucose metabolism in the brain.
  • HeySwoleSister
    Options
    eric_sg61 wrote: »
    Deficit.

Neurological disorders, like epilepsy, are treated with keto diets under medical supervision. The ketones provide an alternative fuel source for the brain since these disorders can have something to do with glucose metabolism in the brain.

True, but it's a leap to take treatment of specific medical disorders and extrapolate to some kind of magical performance in the general population.

(See also: EVERYONE should care about the Glycemic Index!!!!!!)
  • Dhaezi
    Dhaezi Posts: 2
    Options
    I don't eat low carb but I do remove most grains from my diet to lose weight... eating mainly vegetables, legumes, quinoa and some fruit, I also don't skimp on fats like EV (extra virgin) coconut oil and EV olive oil I eat alot of seeds that up my omega 3s. I don't eat alot of protein but include a little with every meal.
  • runnrchic
    Options
    EWJLang wrote: »
    Deficit.

True, but it's a leap to take treatment of specific medical disorders and extrapolate to some kind of magical performance in the general population.

Thank you! Agreed.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    So a (non-objective) book and a broad statement about medical treatment of a specific disorder.

I would be very interested to read the literature behind the statements made about Parkinson's, and Alzheimer's. There is no snark behind this, I couldn't care less what other people fill their dietary intake with. I am genuinely curious about the science behind the claims made in this thread.
  • peter56765
    peter56765 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    EWJLang wrote: »
    Deficit.

Amen. I have a relative with gout, a form of arthritis. To avoid bringing on painful inflammation, she has to avoid meat, fish, alcohol, and high fat foods. The gout diet is mostly fruits, vegetables, beans and complex carbohydrates - pretty much the polar opposite of a keto diet. Is it the right diet for her? Absolutely. Is it the right diet for everyone? Nope.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to do low carb high protien/ fat. Is this the best way for weight loss? What are the best macros???

LCHF would typically be 20 - 25% protein, 5 or 10% carbohydrate, and fat the rest. Protein might be up to 35% of calories. You can set these with "Custom goals" in steps of 5.