Stopped smoking, gaining weight.

Options
I'm quite new to the exercise/healthy eating scene! I stopped smoking a couple of weeks ago and joined a gym with the money I'm saving.
I've been gymming about 4x1hr a week (I did nothing before). I'm not dieting as such (I like food too much lol) but I'm trying to cook proper meals with lean meat and lots of veg.
Since I've stopped smoking and started gymming I've noticed a slow but steady weight gain.
I don't want to have to start smoking again!!
Any advice would be appreciated in regards to exercise and diet! Thank you!

Replies

• never2bstopped
    never2bstopped Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    If you aren't tracking your food intake you will have a hard time stopping the scale movement.

You don't have to give up any food, you just have to account for it and adjust the quantity to match your goals. You can take this as slowly as you want, but till you start tracking you will feel like you don't know what to do when the scale goes up.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    jen19855 wrote: »
    I'm not dieting as such (I like food too much lol)

Well, that's why you're gaining. You can't out exercise a bad diet, even if it's healthy food.

You eat too much = you gain weight.

• jen19855
    jen19855 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    emdeesea wrote: »
    jen19855 wrote: »
    I'm not dieting as such (I like food too much lol)

Well, that's why you're gaining. You can't out exercise a bad diet, even if it's healthy food.

I know you're right, I'm a binger through and through lol.
    I don't really eat during the day but in the evening I have massive plate fulls.
    I really need to get my diet in order if I want to see any real difference :(
    As I said I'm still very new to this lol. I've gone for 29 years of just letting myself eat what I want lol. I just need a kick up the a** I think
  • jen19855
    jen19855 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    kace_kay wrote: »
    You should track your food intake. Quitting smoking isn't causing the weight gain.

I used this app to track my intake yesterday.......this was my face
  • jasmineandgreg
    jasmineandgreg Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    when you quit smoking you do gain weight but only for a bit and yes a healthier diet and smaller portions of food and exercise you will lose weight but pretty much eating the same way you will stay the same weight you need to portion your food and eat healthier!!!
  • never2bstopped
    never2bstopped Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    when you quit smoking you do gain weight but only for a bit and yes a healthier diet and smaller portions of food and exercise you will lose weight but pretty much eating the same way you will stay the same weight you need to portion your food and eat healthier!!!

I quit smoking and didn't gain a pound till I got hurt and stopped tracking my food.
  • Ribena145
    Ribena145 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I gained about 10 lbs when I quit smoking despite exercising. I think in part it's the "new" taste of the food that does it. You're taste buds aren't dead from the cigarette smoke and everything tastes waaay better. Do the best you can, you are making a healthy choice, let your body adjust. You can't do everything at once. One step at a time. The exercise will help slow any gains. Once you feel comfortable with where you're at, then tackle a new step...say more towards the food line. Good luck. Feel free to add me as a friend if you like.....
  • wolf_tickets
    wolf_tickets Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    kace_kay wrote: »
    You should track your food intake. Quitting smoking isn't causing the weight gain.

Quitting smoking slows down your resting heart rate (a good thing), so your Basal Metabolic Rate is indeed lower. I agree that tracking is the answer here, though.

• LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    I gained when I quit smoking too. I wasn't tracking anything (weight or food) at the time so I have no idea how much. But I do remember filling a lot of the cravings with food. It doesn't help that nicotine increases your TDEE by IIRC 300 calories a day.

But I would still recommend you keep quitting smoking as the first priority. Once you're no longer struggling with it then it will be easier to concentrate on improving your diet. In the meantime it's worth weighing/logging all your food so that you will have a good head start on knowing your own habits and TDEE when the time comes.
  • nopotofgold
    nopotofgold Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    my guy just stopped smoking and is gaining weight too. He blames it on not smoking. I say it is the cheeze its he is stress eating.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    my guy just stopped smoking and is gaining weight too. He blames it on not smoking. I say it is the cheeze its he is stress eating.
    I'd suspect they are both parts of the same chain of causality. Just be aware that added stress from a nagging SO is likely to make it seem like starting smoking again is the best option.