I have so little motivation lately, What motivates you to start your workout?

Options
Jennym93
Jennym93 Posts: 136 Member
edited March 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
I find once I'm working out I'm fine but getting the motivation to get up and do it is where I struggle.
I want to get to my goal, I know working out is the only way I'm going to get there but it's still not enough to get me moving, I never feel like I've done enough either.
I'm thinking of setting a specific time everyday as my workout time but that means early morning or mid evening time for consistency, is it better to work out in the AM or PM or does it really not matter?

Replies

• troytroy11
    troytroy11 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I enjoy switching it up and working out both early morning and evening, sometimes mid day or even late at night. For the most part I like a pattern and that is evenings after work. But it is fun to be random and surprise the body sometimes. I don't think it really matters. What does matter is that it works for you and it is at a time where you feel the best. Make it fun so you look forward to that part of the day. That is how I stay motivated. I make it fun every single time but also hard enough to work at it.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Nothing.

I don't wait for the warm fuzzies- I just get up off my duff and I go do it. Make it an appointment- and then go get it done.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    the fact im fat. thats what motivates me.
  • laurab330
    laurab330 Posts: 6 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I found something that I really love to do - running :) Before that it was really just a matter of forcing myself to do workouts I hated and knowing that I'd feel better afterwards.

With running (which I used to HATE btw), not only do I love the way it makes me feel and what it's doing to my body, it has also given me a whole new perspective on other workouts because of what they do for my running. I don't hate strength workouts now because I know they're helping me meet my running goals. It has also changed my goals. Whereas I used to workout to lose weight, now I workout to train for a race (because I want to earn that medal darn it!), to be able to run farther, to be healthy not just weigh less, etc. That totally took the dread factor out for me.

Anyway... my point is maybe you just haven't found your "thing" yet :)
  • oregano13
    Options
    motivation is my old photos where I look fit and hot. Recently I changed my routine - meditation and exercise is the first thing I do when I wake up. Yes it's an adjustment, but it's such a great sense of accomplishment! You are already a winner and it's only 8:30AM :)
    Seeing my stomach getting flatter is a great motivation, too.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Motivation is results, determination and I think I have exercise entrenched into my psyche as a routine now. Its not acceptable for me not to go, I feel annoyed if I dont have a good reason and I also know if I spend too long away from weights then its gonna be harder to pick up.

Where gym is concerned the smartest move I made was moving in the Autumn to a closer one. thats meant many times I have gone where I wouldnt have to my previous one.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    Wanting to see my name in the record books more then it currently is.

Right now my coaches are having to rein me in, not push me harder.
  • loistryin
    loistryin Posts: 70 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Doing a 5 K With my cousin (she ran I walked fast) last summer and signed up tp do another with her in May. Also listening to music I like on my iPhone with the app mapmywalk. It IS hard still at times. I set reasonable goals and have a support system in my cousin and brothers and friends. I try to walk one new place a couple times a month sometimes with a friend!!'
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Have you made a commitment to better health? And by commitment, I mean a real one. Like when you tell your best friend you’ll pick them up at the airport. You commit and as a result, you show up. This is exactly the same thing, except the commitment is to yourself. And you just show up.
  • englishmermaid
    englishmermaid Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I got the Wii fit with my tax check, I love to see the numbers change, the graphs and the workout time accumulation, I guess I need to SEE results before my eyes
  • krysmuree
    krysmuree Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    The people I talk to and mingle with every day here on MyFitnessPal. The ones who have 1lb losses weekly; who are always working their hardest to be on target but still enjoy life. The ones that started when I did but have lost 15lbs more than I have, with the same starting weight, because they stuck to it and I didn't. They motivate me because if they can do it, so can I, and they're there every step of the way.

That and my future elopement pictures. ;)
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Because I'll never want to kick my own a-- for working out. NOT working out, yep.
  • teresanesselrode2015
    teresanesselrode2015 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    That is how i feel Jennym93! I'm fine once i get started but it's getting started that's hard. Sometimes it's like i have to drag myself to do anything but i am on antidepressants so i think that's part of it. Depression sucks ppl think well just be happy or exercise you will feel better but it dont work like that
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I keep telling myself it's just a mind game. If I have a 10 mile run to do and I'm not even 1 mile in and ready to quit, I tell myself, "This is all in your head... If you still feel like this after mile 3 you can go home." I always make it to mile 3 and I never go home.
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I think it can sometimes be helpful to think 'I'm just gonna go for 10 mins' when you just really don't feel like going. 10 mins is nothing, super easy, who can't do just 10 mins. Then once you are at the gym and working out, you suddenly realize you CAN do more than 10 mins and you do.
    But since you only committed to doing 10 quick mins you were able to convince yourself to go.

I also go to the gym right away. Either as soon as I get home from work/riding or as soon as I wake up in the morning. The only place I allow myself to sit down between work/riding/waking up is the toilet. I may go on my phone for a while while sitting there to be a little lazy, but you can only sit comfortably for so long on the toilet before you have to get up and then I can head to the gym.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I come at this from a slightly different perspective. For *me*, exactly the feeling you describe--inertia about getting started, day in and day out, and then feeling okay during--is a sign that I've been pushing myself a bit too hard and need a few days off. I spend a few days doing really light activity--walking or whatever--and being sure to eat enough without going nuts, and pretty much every time it gets me right back to being crazy-eyed GO GO GO.

Just throwing this out there as another option to try. Especially with your comment about never feeling like it's "enough"--whatever "enough" actually means, right?--makes me think a slight break could actually work for you, too.
  • teresanesselrode2015
    teresanesselrode2015 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I love reading everyone's comments...that is very motivating in itself
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    Nothing.

I don't wait for the warm fuzzies- I just get up off my duff and I go do it. Make it an appointment- and then go get it done.
    This.... just do it.
  • Eudoxy
    Eudoxy Posts: 391 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Setting an appointment/schedule for yourself is a good idea. When I'm wavering/thinking about skipping it, I tell myself "just put on your workout clothes and shoes anyway". Once I do it makes me want to go.
  • SlenderClassyElegant
    SlenderClassyElegant Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I am an "overthinker", always trying to figure out the whys and why nots of getting anything done. So... :blush:

I have workout outfits put together on my clothes rack, socks stuffed into tennies, wallet/keys/water by the front door at night. If it's 5:15 am, I force myself out of bed even if I'm comatose or sore and put on the first outfit I see. No coffee, no computer Shoes on. Stuff by the door in hand. Car. Get to gym. Then I'm forced to go in, even if it's just 30 mins. (I usually say, aw heck, I'm here anyway, I could stay...)

Before I know it, it's 6:30 or 7 am. Coffee and emails are there when I get back...
    Hope this helps :)

704775227f1186e97a.jpg
    Crystal Comments