coffee lovers unite! need tips because I will not give up my coffee :)

Options
I drink coffee daily, if you don't that's OK too but please don't badger me about it :) here's the issue though. I've become aware that my daily coffee can kill my calories and sugar for the entire day. So I've been trying other options to lighten it up but haven't found anything I LOVE! I'VE waisted several drinks in an attempt to cut down. I have tried almond milk, skim milk, flavored coffee, splnda and so on. Nothing is ❎ enough to satisfy my craving and I end up wishing I had just got the one I actually wanted. So let's hear what your tricks are. Some stuff you might need to know is I drink both iced and hot, and normally it's from dunkin donuts,wawa, of Royal farms. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• never2bstopped
    never2bstopped Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Half and half no sugar

3cups of coffee 2Tbs half and half

46 cals and perfect!
  • blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    I do 1 tbsp heavy cream no sugar..hit it with a frother (I got mine from ikea for $2.5). 50 ish calories
  • greaseswabber
    greaseswabber Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I'm also a daily coffee drinker. I always drink mine black which is probably not going to help you. I did read another post where a group of coffee drinkers generally agreed that the decrease in quality caused by using low cal substitutes for cream or sugar was not worth it. Can you use a little less cream or sugar to cut the calories? The actual coffee flavor would be more forward, so it would be important to find one you like.

Finding a way to fit in what you like will be more sustainable than settling for something you don't like.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    1/4 cup 2% milk, 4 Sweet n Lows. I also put a little vanilla and cinnamon in with the grounds before I pour the water over.

Artificial sweetener was an acquired taste for me, but now I actually prefer it.
  • jenniferann320
    jenniferann320 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I'm also a daily coffee drinker. I always drink mine black which is probably not going to help you. I did read another post where a group of coffee drinkers generally agreed that the decrease in quality caused by using low cal substitutes for cream or sugar was not worth it. Can you use a little less cream or sugar to cut the calories? The actual coffee flavor would be more forward, so it would be important to find one you like.

Finding a way to fit in what you like will be more sustainable than settling for something you don't like.

Yes I think your right. I might try a few of the mentioned recipes in hopes of cutting a little bit I think that I'll just have to allot calories for having it the way I enjoy. Thanks :)
  • jenniferann320
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone, I'll try them then make a decision from there
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I usually drink about 4 coffees a day. I just put a bit of whole milk in it. It has to be decent coffee though.

If I'm out I'll sometimes get a skinny cappuccino with a shot of vanilla as a treat. In summer I like skinny frappuccinos.
  • dpuncharello
    dpuncharello Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I love coffee! It is a daily essential in my household in order for me to feel like I'm functioning on all cylinders. You are right, it can indeed quickly kill our daily sugar and caloric recommendations. For me, it was about learning how to slowly change my tastes, which took a long time. Making simple transitions like skipping whipped cream or choosing mocha flavoring over vanilla (or whatever was still good but had less calories). What helped me the most was kicking my drive thru style coffee habits and making my own at home whenever possible. There are lots of recipes online to duplicate many franchise drinks, which helps me make additional tweaks and eventually taught me to appreciate less sugared versions. It took a couple of years to wean off of, but now I still get my coffee fix and have learned to love a lot of different ways to make my morning java at home, and I now view trips to Starbucks and DD as a treat instead of a daily necessity.
  • jenniferann320
    Options
    Sounds like this will be the road I take. Thanks for sharing
  • michellelhodges123
    michellelhodges123 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Coffee..nectar of the gods! Yup...not something I'm giving up..I use a sugar free flavored creamer..and have cut back a bit on the amount of cups! But..I still drink it!
  • glenys452
    glenys452 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Coffee is a food group in my book! Medium ice coffee with cream and 2 splenda per day.... I can't function without it.
  • MarciBkonTrk
    MarciBkonTrk Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I love coffee and drink it every day. I like to make protein lattes. My favorite is 1/2 cup almond milk, one packet chocolate protein powder, and then fill the mug the rest of the way up with coffee.
  • fitnesia
    fitnesia Posts: 21
    Options
    I use two teaspoons of creamer (30) and one teaspoon of sugar (15) which equals to 45 calories per cup.
  • Lucyk00
    Lucyk00 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Drink better coffee, the flavor quality will make up for lack of sugar.
  • elfof2moons
    elfof2moons Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    At Dunkin Donuts I get a medium Iced Latte Light with Caramel Swirl syrup (not the sugar free syrup) and then add 4 splendas. still not as good as the old stuff but definitely a doable alternative. Chick-fil-a is my favorite though. Medium original Iced coffee with 3 splendas. Took me awhile to get used to the splenda but I eventually did. I also use it for a treat, not an everyday thing. That took more getting used too!
  • missomgitsica
    missomgitsica Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I use flavored syrup for sweetening instead of sugar. I get the Torani brand (they have it a t most grocery stores), and it has no calories or sugar. I use that and a splash of creamer, and it's like 45 calories with no sugar.
  • Keliandra
    Keliandra Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    One cup, every day. 8 oz coffee, 3 tbsp heavy cream, 3 tbsp coffee mate creme brulee, 1 tbsp butter. That and 2 scrambled eggs is my breakfast.
  • greaseswabber
    greaseswabber Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Keliandra wrote: »
    One cup, every day. 8 oz coffee, 3 tbsp heavy cream, 3 tbsp coffee mate creme brulee, 1 tbsp butter. That and 2 scrambled eggs is my breakfast.

Is the butter for the coffee or the eggs?
  • jan3h
    jan3h Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I am the same, love my cafe-made cappuccinos and lattes on full cream milk :-) I manage my cravings by having a smaller serve (6 oz = about 130 cals) and limiting it to one a day as a mid-morning snack. Fortunately I've never liked coffee sweet so i haven't had to manage the sugar vs sweetener issue.
  • grandmamere
    grandmamere Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Da Vinci Zero Calories Syrups are my best friend. I'm a coffee snob and starbucks (pike place only) was all I wanted. Today I've switched to a non-brand french roast. I put in 1 tbsp. coffemate (30 cal) and 1 tbsp. zero caloies flavored syrup. Loved it. I weaned myself off of sugar and was using Lucerene Caramel Macchiato Creamer as a creamer & sweetener but at 40 cal per tbsp. I'll save it for one of my cups a day. I LOVE COFFEE!