I weight more than 500 lbs.... story inside

Options
I'm a good person, i believe most of us are,my point is this i weight more than 500 lbs and i think i'm dying. I'm 29 yrs old and i truly have never been kissed , i've been on 2 dates my whole life, and i decided to lock myself away where no one can hurt me. but guess what i am a bad warden for i hurt myself by not being open to new experiences and making friends. but as i approach my 30th birthday i believe time is running out for me. i need some help, i don't have a job so i can't pay for a gym membership, and funds are tight so i don't know what to due food wise cause all the bad choices are cheap. my budget is maybe $100 a month for food, what exercises can i do for free? other than walking..any suggestions will be appreciated...i forget to say but i'm 5'6 and a guy. thanks a million :smile:

Replies

• arcticlynx1
    arcticlynx1 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    If you do consider walking/hiking, consider getting hiking poles and setting them up right. You can modify old ski poles you can get at a thrift store on the cheap. It makes walks easier, but also you get more exercise out of them (some irony there).

Consider taking a camera and taking pictures every so often for a break (and sit down when you need to). I just went for a 15 minute walk, and ended up coming back 1.5 hours later (by taking lots of pictures), with about 1 hour walking time, and I weight about 465 lbs.

Remember what the big bear in the Muppets From Space movie said: "Baby steps sir, Baby steps." :happy:
  • mccorml
    mccorml Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    if you add it up you can see that cooking healthy is not that bad on price also like using this site you realize you can eat fast food but use healthy alternatives and everything is exercise walk the longer route take the stairs maybe download an exercise dvd or use youtube for exercise workouts good luck man there are plenty of people on this site that weighed more than you with sucess stories on here its really an awesome way to lose weight man! good luck
  • sweetmalteser
    sweetmalteser Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hello!
    Hey chin up, and look at your bright future. You will make it, like we all do. There is so much support on this website :flowerforyou:

There are so many exercises you can do at home, you can watch many videos on youtube or download exercise videos, and also walking is a very good exercise too.

You can still buy healthy food and not spend a fortune, like veg and fruit, chicken and fish.

Come on!! Join us all and you will succeed :wink:
  • mousumi30
    mousumi30 Posts: 52
    Options
    hi, sent you an add friend request, welcome, add me if you want, anyway since you asked me what foods are cheap and good for diet , well oatmeal is good for weight loss, cheap and also good for heart and lowering blood sugar, i eat it everyday, believe me this feels you up, another good cheap food is egg white(eat boiled , its more feeling), soyabean, tomato, cucumber these things are not very costly either.
    as for exercise go to www. youtube.com. write aerobics/waist reduction workouts/ abs exercise / yoga lots of videoes are absolutely free to do.well wishing you luck
  • cafeteriagirl
    cafeteriagirl Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    first of all, dont give up. It's never too late to start. Start in small steps. Follow your calorie intake guide from mfp and it will come off. Drink plenty of water. You need a buddy close by either a friend or someone in your family to help boost your morale. I would also suggest talking to your pastor if you attend church. They can always be a big help. Hope this is a help to you. I will be keeping you in my personal prayers. Let me know how you are doing.
  • moonay
    moonay Posts: 30
    Options
    Well done , you've taken the first step by joining this site and trying to do something about a bad situation!

Food wise I am on £40 a month so know how that feels! I have things like porridge, frozen fruit smoothies, vegetable rice...as long as you portion control and watch your fat contents as well as calories this works well. But that is just my opinion based on it working for me when I don't cheat!

Exercise wise you could put some music on or the tele and do something like squats, star jumps,lunges, knee smashes (bring your knee up as close to your chest at a diagonal), use canned food as basic weights, even backward sit ups (sit on the sofa and raise your legs together as high as you can then release. you have to do this slowly and it apparantly works your lower abs). In general for your weight anything that gets your heart rate to 120bpm will give you a calorie burn of 50+ depending on how long you do it for (i estimated using 20mins)

If you ever need any inspiration, I don't know if you have ever seen the biggest loser but season 9 there was a guy called Mike who won and he was 500lbsish. It wasn't an easy journey for him and he did feel like giving up at times so he is a good one to check out.

Good luck!
  • Wraiythe
    Wraiythe Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I can understand the tight budget. Family of 5 here, both working part time retail because there are just NO jobs out there where I live if you don't have a business degree (ugh). What we do is a LOT of veggies. Especially cabbage. We can get a TON of cabbage on the cheap and it takes seasoning well so it doesn't just have to taste like cabbage. And chicken the same. And both are fairly good for your diet :). We just look around for the sales and grab 'em when they come. And for exercising, walking is AWESOME exercise. Especially when you are just starting out. If you can get up about $10 you can go to Walmart and get one of the Leslie Sansone walk at home DVDs. They are 1 to 5 mile walks with boosts and some other exercise thrown in for good measure. They aren't hard on your body and they give you a good burn. Or if you have cable with OnDemand you can rent exercise workouts for free usually. other than that check YouTube or around the internet. Lots of sights with exercise workouts on them. Sparkpeople.com has workout videos you can watch and exercise plans you can make up for yourself.
    Good Luck!!!
  • DebiP10
    DebiP10 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Hi hun and welcome to this fab site. You've already made a big decision to make a difference in your life so that is a massive start in itself. There are loads of guys on here who have been and some still are in your shoes so im sure you wont go short on advice and inspiration. I wish you every success on your journey and never forget, you are not alone. We are all here to help and motovate eachother :flowerforyou:
  • julie_a_griffin
    julie_a_griffin Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Coming here is the first step. It's a great place and you'll get loads of support. Feel free to add me if you are looking for friends.

Walking is the absolute best exercise you can get. If you keep it up, the weight will fall off. You could also try stairs exercises. Try going up and down them as quickly as you can for one minute, take a break and do it again. It's killer, but it gets the blood pumping. Also, swimming is amazing exercise, if you have any lakes or beaches near by. I know it is daunting; believe me I know. I weigh almost 300 pounds. But it's absolutely amazing exercise, it's non impact on your joints and feels great once you get into it. Keep to your calorie goal and be honest with yourself. You diary is private unless you decide to make it public, but be honest. You CAN do this, and you will get all the support you need here.

Good luck!! *hugs*

Julie
  • Rowann
    Rowann Posts: 86
    Options
    You probably taken the hardest step by realising you have an issue, and deciding to do something about it. As has been said already, there are plenty of people on here who have been in a similar situation to you, and with hard work, perseverance, and knowing when to ask for help when it got too much, they have taken great strides on coming out the other side.

Take it one day at a time, don't beat yourself up about it anymore - you're going to do the best that you can, and being only 29 you're going to have plenty of years to reap the rewards of the hard work.

If you can go and speak to your doctor then do so (sorry, don't know what country you're in, so don't know if there is an extra cost involved, and I do understand being on a tight budget). Get their advice and input. Depending on how active you are at the moment you may have to very slowly increase your exercise to give your system time to get used to the idea of being put through the paces.

You can do this...
  • Genie30
    Genie30 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Lots of good advice already and believe me, you are in good company here. If you've ever watched biggest loser (USA) then you know that Michael weighed over 500 and is living breathng prrof that you can achieve your goals.

Start by just increasing your activity levels. If you would use the lift or escalator, take the stairs etc. If you have steps/stairs in your house, run/walk up and down them or use the bottom step to step on and off as quickly as you can for as long as you can. Push ups and sit ups are free, they're not easy to begin with but you can do it. jumping jacks are good for getting your heart pumping as are short sprints if you have a garden.

I think a lot of people think healthy food is expensive because 1 package of ready meals costs x amount and to buy rice, some meat and a few vegetables costs more. What most people forget though is that 1 ready meal provides 1 meal whereas a bag of rice, veg and meat can provide you with lots of meals, thus making the average cost lower per meal. also, if you have a freezer, make big batches of soups, currys, chilli's etc and freeze them in portion sized containers. Use the recipe calculator on here to make sure you know exactly how many calories are in each portion.

We know you can do this and you need to believe it too. You have to do this for yourself.
  • Painten
    Painten Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I've got to agree with the person who said baby steps. I've had a couple of mfp friends who weighed over 300lbs and i saw there food dairies, they were straight in at 1200 cals and only eating half of them for a couple of weeks. Now i started a similar weight and i know i didn't get there eating 800 cals a day. I ate drastically more. Those that did this gave up. It's not something you can sustain. Those that started at the full and realistic calorie amount are the ones who have stuck at it. I personally started working on just calories, getting the portion sizes down, then started tracking sodium. I'll track more later. One step at a time :) I also sent you a friend request.
  • Waynes_World
    Waynes_World Posts: 333
    Options
    Hang in there buddy you can beat this. Any exercise is better then none at all.. Walking is a great way to start out. Download some workout videos or you could watch them on you tube as well. Remember this is about life style changes and not just a diet. There are many healthy cheap foods... I love tuna myself as well as fresh veggies and fruit.

Dont give up we are all here to help each other.. If you need some support fell free to add me as a friend !
  • bigmamma3
    bigmamma3 Posts: 134
    Options
    Hi and welcome to the site! Well done on taking the first step to a new you! I used to be very unconfident until i started making changes to my life. You can do it and as people have said there are plenty of healthy foods you can buy for cheap. I have found walking to be my favorite choice of excercise as its very easy to fit into your day.
  • simplyshannal
    simplyshannal Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    You have taken the first step by coming on here and telling us your story. Don't you dare give up because there is nothing out there that can't be accomplished. We all have hills to climb and each day we put one foot in front of the other and climb it and you will too! You are God's love created and you deserve to be good to yourself. Walking is free and even if you can only walk a tiny bit the first day, keep trying and each day it will get a little better. This site is the best at support and you can ask any questions you may have. Tons of people here that are very motivational and try and remember that we are all in the same boat you are and want to help you. I sent you a friend request and will be there to help motivate you whenever you need it. Keep your chin up and tell yourself each day when you wake up that you can do this, because you can!!!
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    You just have to start counting your calories..buy lowfat ,low sodium when you can if money is tight always opt for bagged apples as your fruit and bagged spinach as a base for your salads..cut out any white bread or white rice...brown and wheat arent that much more expensive...tuna and chicken are great choices for meat and always bake or grill...if you have a doctor I suggest calling and getting a set caloric amount per day and stick to that until you have lost enough weight to do chair exercises ..lifting weights in chair, legs and arms....then gradually move towards walking outside or in a mall.. even a hospital is a good place to walk if you might be insecure about mall walking......drink plenty of water and realize as long as your here....your right where you need to be ..soooo take a step forward and with the encouragement of your positive MFP friends..you can start your journey dont expect it to be a fast one....but every step is one step closer to your goals....Good Luck!
  • habibti
    habibti Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    You might try browsing any secondhand stores like Salvation Army or Goodwill for hand weights. I've used cans of food and water bottles, etc. as weights to do upper body exercises too. You could follow along with a you tube video, or some people like to watch TV. Personally, I get distracted watching TV and end up not exercising. LOL I like to put on some of my favorite energetic music and just go crazy dancing or doing whatever movements feel good, holding the hand weights for some of the time. Good luck to you - Keep up the good fight, you can do it.
  • Elise1931
    Elise1931 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    The water aerobic exercises may be suitable for you, since the buoyancy do support your body and water do offer the resistance at the same time. About the healthy food, growing some vegetables by yourself may be a good idea if you'd love. Such as bean sprouts, I don't know if you like them, it's really easy to grow that you can even have them right under your bed! All you need are green beans, water, container(s), a dark space, and a period of 5 to 7 days. Hope these could be helpful and good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • jellyfishjen
    jellyfishjen Posts: 1,787 Member
    Options
    You have recieved so much support already on here. There is not much left for me to say, everyone has said it and given you such wonderful suggestions. Just do it. Thats all there is to it, it will be tough at times but know that you are not alone. Gather around you a great support team, join some of the challenges on here, and don't be afraid to posts your wins as well as your fails. You are about to learn so much. I'm 51 and have learnt a lot form here. friend me if you like.
  • lucycaz
    lucycaz Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Hi John

I understand what it feels like when you have a lot to lose and it feels like you will never get there so there is not point trying, however that is not the case you just need to set yourself small targets and have rewards for achieving these (not food based....)

I terms of budget I am not sure if it is she same in the US but we have a lot of small street markets here in the UK where fruit and vegetables are a lot cheaper than the main shops also Asian shopping areas tend to have cheaper fruit vegetables and fish....

When I was a student and my budget was tight I also noticed that at the end of the day you often get reduced price food although this is usually only good for a day or too this is not a problem if you are not working and can go to the shops often – this will also give you a reason to go out daily and the walking would be good exercise....

Plan your meals for example buy a whole chicken which is normally cheaper that individual portions you can then cook and use it over 3 or 4 days......

There are little things that you can do that make a difference even if you find exercise difficult at 500+ lbs I started doing things like getting off the bus one stop early when coming home and walking the rest of the way eventually moving to 2 stops etc.... until eventually I was walking all the way home.....

Swimming is also a fantastic exercise and is non weight bearing so does not put pressure on your joints....

Use the people on here they are a great bunch and will praise your successes which always gives me a buzz and reassure you when things don’t seem to be going as well – we all hit those hard times... Make your food diary public the advice I have received from people has been great even if I don’t agree with it all and choose for myself what I take on board... different things work for different people....

And finally I am happy to be your buddy - e-mail me whenever you want - you have already taken the biggest and hardest step deciding that you need to change.....

Lucy