salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Options
    low carb sounds like torture to me

no way in hells beautiful meadow would i do it
    basically give me all your potatoes please
  • TigerNY128
    TigerNY128 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I eat low carb, just because it keeps me full and helps me lose weight quickly. I think every body is different. I also have a history of diabetes in my family, so I intend to always eat fairly low carb and low sugar. My macros tend be around 60% fat, 10% carb, and 30% protein.
  • JimFsfitnesspal
    JimFsfitnesspal Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »
    I'm trying to do low carb high protien/ fat. Is this the best way for weight loss? What are the best macros???

LCHF would typically be 20 - 25% protein, 5 or 10% carbohydrate, and fat the rest. Protein might be up to 35% of calories. You can set these with "Custom goals" in steps of 5.

I would consider that "very low carb".
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I'll just defer to Feinman :

Very low-carbohydrate ketogenic diet (VLCKD)
    •Carbohydrate, 20–50 g/d or <10% of the 2000 kcal/d diet, whether or not ketosis occurs. Derived from levels of carbohydrate required to induce ketosis in most people.
    •Recommended early phase (“induction”) of popular diets such as Atkins Diet or Protein Power.

Low-carbohydrate diet: <130 g/d or <26% total energy
    •The ADA definition of 130 g/d as its recommended minimum.
    Moderate-Carbohydrate Diet: 26%–45%
    •Upper limit, approximate carbohydrate intake before the obesity epidemic (43%).

High-Carbohydrate Diet: >45%
    •Recommended target on ADA websites.
    •The 2010 Dietary Guidelines for Americans recommends 45%–65% carbohydrate. The average American diet is estimated to be ∼49% carbohydrate.
  • JimFsfitnesspal
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »
    I'll just defer to Feinman :

Very low-carbohydrate ketogenic diet (VLCKD)
    •Carbohydrate, 20–50 g/d or <10% of the 2000 kcal/d diet, whether or not ketosis occurs. Derived from levels of carbohydrate required to induce ketosis in most people.
    •Recommended early phase (“induction”) of popular diets such as Atkins Diet or Protein Power.

Low-carbohydrate diet: <130 g/d or <26% total energy
    •The ADA definition of 130 g/d as its recommended minimum.

Moderate-Carbohydrate Diet: 26%–45%
    •Upper limit, approximate carbohydrate intake before the obesity epidemic (43%).

High-Carbohydrate Diet: >45%
    •Recommended target on ADA websites.
    •The 2010 Dietary Guidelines for Americans recommends 45%–65% carbohydrate. The average American diet is estimated to be ∼49% carbohydrate.

That is what I'm talking about. Sorry, I thought you were saying a LC diet was <10%.

Thanks for posting this.
  • prasadsurve
    prasadsurve Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Study carried out by Stanford University costing 2 million dollars involving 300 women:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eREuZEdMAVo
  • JimFsfitnesspal
    Options
    Thanks @prasadsurve that was a great video. I watched the first ten minutes and I plan to watch the whole thing later.
  • touchtoshart
    touchtoshart Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    salembambi wrote: »
    low carb sounds like torture to me

no way in hells beautiful meadow would i do it
    basically give me all your potatoes please
    I am so this way and im on an extremely low carb *but doctor recommended, so haters can eat it* Low carb is really great when you realize cheese can be low carb. whipped cream cheese is my religion now <3<3 its what heaven tastes like
  • lovelaughrun
    lovelaughrun Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Look in to calorie cycling first? The idea is eat the same total calories each week ie. if your goal is 1500 a day - 10,500 a week, cycle each day. One day might be 1300, the next 1700 but add up to the same amount each week. The idea is it confuses your body so you don't plateau
    -To be honest, I do low carb 5/6 days a week. I eat whatever fruit and vegetables I want but no grains or starches. I think this has had more of an effect than anything, I'm not eating as much sugar therefore not as hungry, bloated or tired. My body does fine on low carb, high protein and fat even with regular training. Everyone has different responses so the only way you'll know is to try :)
  • Charliegottheruns
    Charliegottheruns Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Nutrition 101: Carbohydrates

by Elle Penner, MyFitnessPal Registered Dietitian

Love ‘em or leave ‘em (personally, I’m a fan), carbohydrates are found in pretty much everything – fruits and vegetables, grains, nuts and seeds, dairy, sweets, soda, the list goes on. Carbohydrates provide around half of the energy in a well balanced diet, 45-65% of calories according to the most recent Dietary Guidelines for Americans
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Ive lost 7 stone in 2 years but I now think I need to tone up and build lean muscel but also still loose! I'm so confused! It takes over your life!

This plus looking back through a week of your food diary screams eating disorder to me. You are consistently under eating. I think the highest I saw was around 850 cals for the day, and you're exercising on top of that so your net is even lower. Some days you're actually in negative calories - you haven't even eaten enough to cover the exercise you've done, let alone for your body to maintain its basic functions.

I'm saying this as someone who has been through it, please get some professional help before you do yourself real and lasting harm.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    Ive lost 7 stone in 2 years but I now think I need to tone up and build lean muscel but also still loose! I'm so confused! It takes over your life!

You have done well. I like low carb (<50 grams daily) because it will help preserve muscle mass naturally. It was hard at first because I was addicted to Carbs and it was strange to get 80% of my calories from Fats. Losing the Carbs cut my body inflammation level so my pain level really dropped. The IBS left for the first time in 40 years too.
  • jamescedwards
    jamescedwards Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I actually am doing/getting off of the keto style diet. This is one of the few diets I have found that it works best for consistent weight loss. The idea behind it isn't anything magical; your metabolic process changes from glycolic to ketosis, where your body burns it's own fat for energy. The key to losing weight on this diet is like any other however: caloric deficit. The reason why keto diets are are so popular is because it is protein and fat based you stay full longer, your cravings are diminished, and your sugar intake is close to nil.

If you do decide to go on a keto diet I would suggest doing some research first (check out r/keto on reddit). If you think this is a diet you can stick to then go for it! It will take a few days for your body to switch into ketosis so for the first few days I suggest cutting your carb intake to as close to 0 as possible. People who live on this diet try to keep their carbs below 20g a day. I was losing weight while keeping it under 40g a day.

My only "warning" (I say that loosely) is 2 things: it limits the foods you can eat (unless you are a good cook and have access to a good grocery store) and you CANNOT cheat on this diet. Since you are depriving your body of its initial source of energy, the minute those carbs are reintroduced into your diet you will gain easily 2 or 3 times as much as you normally would
  • Dhaezi
    Dhaezi Posts: 2
    Options
    There are some great alternatives to your favorite foods tho that can be quite satisfying..

I just discovered zucchini pasta and zucchini pizza crust... totally saved me! also I love roasted cabbage, roasted cauliflower or yams and squash.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    OMG can the people encouraging this woman take a look at her diary?? She is starving herself, and here you all are encouraging her after that has already been pointed out. Most days she's already under 50g of carbs, and often under 10g of fat.
  • laurengilbert08
    laurengilbert08 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    OMG can the people encouraging this woman take a look at her diary?? She is starving herself, and here you all are encouraging her after that has already been pointed out. Most days she's already under 50g of carbs, and often under 10g of fat.

What do you recommend then? When you've been so big before your scared of putting it all back on.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    I think you probably need to get some professional help. I know how hard it is, believe me. But right now you are not eating anywhere near enough. At a minimum you should be eating 1200 calories a day (more if you are exercising). If you want to eat low carb, that's entirely up to you, but you definitely need to increase your fat intake (fat doesn't make you fat btw, it's essential for the absorption of a whole heap of nutrients).

I'd recommend see ing your doctor first, and arranging appointments with a dietician and a therapist through them.