What to cut out from your diet?

Options

Replies

• pinkteapot3
    pinkteapot3 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I haven't cut out any food entirely. As soon as I do, it makes me miserable.

I have smaller meal portions and fewer snacks, and many fewer alcoholic drinks (hard to make room for them on 1,200 cals a day), but nothing is off limits.
  • pinkteapot3
    Options
    Oh, and I'm not recommending this as it's no doubt bad for me, but 150-200 cals of my daily cals are chocolate, and I've lost 11lbs. Including bad food isn't slowing me down.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Oh, and I'm not recommending this as it's no doubt bad for me, but 150-200 cals of my daily cals are chocolate, and I've lost 11lbs. Including bad food isn't slowing me down.

not bad for you at all .. so long as you're hitting your protein and fat goals
  • milkywayward
    milkywayward Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    aimeerace wrote: »
    I cut out additional calories that take me over my goal of 1480... Anything under that is fair game. There is no need to cut anything...
    I'm just worried that staying under my goal won't work if I eat junk food?

It will but you might find it more difficult to stay under your goal. We're all individual; some of us have trigger foods that we crave more of and a lot of people find that "junk" isn't as filling and satisfying as less-processed food. It's a process. I personally cut way, way down on sugar and try not to eat things like cake or pizza except very, very occasionally. I don't like that kind of food that much anyway so it's not a sacrifice for me; if someone else really loves McDonalds on the other hand it might not be sustainable for them to cut it out altogether (on the other hand if McDonalds is a trigger food that they can't control themselves around it might not be sustainable to keep eating it). So, yeah. Eating "junk" while watching calories won't prevent you losing weight but it may be a good idea to cut it out or cut way back for other reasons that are personal to you. Or it may not. Only you know.
  • pinkteapot3
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

I always hit my protein goal. I'm usually slightly under on fat and slightly over on carbs (the carbs coming from the sugar, I'm sure), but not horrendously out - within 5% most of the time.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    nothing.

i eat what i want, as long as it fits within my calorie goals.

(why do i feel like i say this 1800 times a day?)
  • HaibaneReki
    HaibaneReki Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I cut out 95% of soda, even my beloved local one Kofola. So not worth drinking the calories. Regarding solid food, it's been said before - IIFYM :smile:
  • milkywayward
    milkywayward Posts: 27 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Yeah ... 200 calories of chocolate isn't even that big a proportion of your daily goal? Even if you're cutting back as low as 1200 calories a day it's only 1/6 or 16.7%. A lot of people on this website swear by 80:20 — according to that framework you could have your 200 calories of chocolate (a Dairy Milk bar or whatever) and still have room for an extra treat afterwards. It's not like chocolate is totally devoid of nutrients either.
  • fluffyasacat
    fluffyasacat Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    My MIL asked yesterday (she noticed I'd lost 15kg) "What can't you eat?". I said "Nothing. A better question is when can't you eat. The answer to that one is: About half the time."
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I'm not at my thinnest now as I'm losing baby weight from my third, but before when I was slim I had someone say to me 'you never deprive yourself of anything, do you?' Think she was jealous. Well, I do exercise loads, don't sit around drinking wine like she does lol.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    i cut out laziness and excuses, its worked wonders!
  • chubbard9
    chubbard9 Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    The main thing I've cut out is soda. I was terribly addicted! I don't eat chips either because I could never have just one! I do, however, still eat chocolate. I eat 4-8 Hershey kisses a day,just so I can satisfy my sweet tooth :) but for the most part, if it fits in my day, I can enjoy it :)
  • Cryptonomnomicon
    Cryptonomnomicon Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    Nothing

How do you lose weight then?

As long as you stay within your calorie goal, you're golden

This is true for weight loss, but it shouldn't be taken to extremes. Those people who are practicing flexible dieting PROPERLY are eating a mostly nutrient rich diet and keeping the discretionary intake to a limited portion of total energy intake.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/817188

• oceangirl37
    oceangirl37 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I've cut out soda and chips because the calories weren't worth it to me. I've also cut down the frequency I eat fast food. It used to be a weekly thing. Now it's a every couple months thing. Other than that, I've cut out huge portion sizes and extra calories. I aim for 80% healthy /(for me because everyone's definition of healthy is different)20% not so healthy.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options
    I've only cut out things that are not worth the calories to me. I don't like to drink my calories so I usually don't have soda or a latte. But last night I wanted some Dr Pepper so I had some. I only spend calories on food that either a) meets my macro nutrition goals, b) is extremely delicious or c) both.

So I cut out things I don't enjoy as much anymore to be worth my calories (which is most breads and snack foods interestingly enough).

And like someone else said...I stopped eating too much food. :)
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    I added several foods: Quinoa, beet greens, various balsamic vinegars, and whey protein pumpkin pancakes. . . . .so there is 4. Removed?!? I have reduced a few, but removed. . . . .nah.
  • SwankyTomato
    SwankyTomato Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    A lot of junk food. Unlike some posters here I ate a lot of it. I will still have it as a treat, but for the most part I try to avoid it. Stuff like cookies, chips, donuts, and so on.
  • NickDoesFitness
    NickDoesFitness Posts: 112 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    haven't removed nothing, just substituted my favourites for less calorie dense versions :smiley: Coke zero, omnomnomnom
  • Sbivens2383
    Sbivens2383 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Soda, pasta, bread, and junk food. I will still have a small cheat snack one or two times a week but that's about it :)
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    Best and easiest is extra helpings. DO NOT CUT OUT FOODS YOU ENJOY EATING IT IS SETTING YOU UP FOR FAILURE. Good Luck on your Journey