New arctic zero!

Options
So I have a feeling some of you may still hate this product but I just wanted to bring up one of my favorite things, arctic zero ice cream. I have always eaten it but didn't really like it (was one of those going to eat it till I like it things) because it always has a very icey watery texture.
Well recently they've totally redone their products as you can see with new labels but with the new design came a new formula. And let me tell you , it's good. I currently am working on a pint of the cookie shake flavor and it's so creamy I can't believe there's no dairy.
This stuff is 150 calories per pint (yes per pint not per serving, only 35 calories in a half cup) , fat free, dairy free (I'm a vegan), has added protein and fiber (not much but any little bit counts!) and is low glycemic. And now it's delicious!!
They also have a new line of "chunky" flavors that are 300 calories a pint. I haven't tried those.
I'm not a saleswoman for AZ or anything but I just wanted to share my discovery of the new formula that is now actually freaking delicious.

I have a bad habit of mindlessly eating dried cereal as a dessert after dinner, which by all means isn't a bad thing to have dessert, but I sit there eating out of the bag and end up having God knows how much. Now I've switched to having a few spoonfuls of arctic zero knowing that even if I ate the entire thing (which I never do, typically about 1/2 cup is enough to satisfy my sweet tooth) it would only be 150 calories, so where can you go wrong.

Has anyone else tried the new formula or the new flavors? I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Replies

• isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I can't believe there's no dairy.
    This stuff is 150 calories per pint (yes per pint not per serving, only 35 calories in a half cup) , fat free, dairy free (I'm a vegan),
    Most of them aren't vegan as they contain whey protein which is from milk. Just because something is lactose free does not mean it doesn't contain milk products. Always double check ingredient labels don't trust buzzwords like lactose free

https://www.arcticzero.com/product/cookie-shake
  • mom2nicknat
    mom2nicknat Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I actually just bought the chocolate peanut butter flavor and am trying it tonight.. Can't wait - ice cream is my weakness so a whole pint for 150 calories almost seems too good to be true!
  • peaceloveabby01
    peaceloveabby01 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    isulo_kura wrote: »
    This stuff is 150 calories per pint (yes per pint not per serving, only 35 calories in a half cup) , fat free, dairy free (I'm a vegan),
    Most of them aren't vegan as they contain whey protein which is from milk. Just because something is lactose free does not mean it doesn't contain milk products. Always double check ingredient labels don't trust buzzwords like lactose free

I know they contain whey protein but I'm more of I guess you'd call a flexible vegan haha I only stay away from straight milk and cheese type things because I'm actually allergic to dairy so o do eat this and quest bars which have whey protein isolate but still consider myself a vegan. I guess it's everyone's own way of defining it (like how some people eat honey and say they're vegan while others don't think that qualifies) :)

I just wanted to share this new find that I'm really loving right now
  • peaceloveabby01
    Options
    I actually just bought the chocolate peanut butter flavor and am trying it tonight.. Can't wait - ice cream is my weakness so a whole pint for 150 calories almost seems too good to be true!

I love that flavor!!! My favorite is the cookie shake one but I do like that one and the vanilla maple too :)
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    isulo_kura wrote: »

I know they contain whey protein but I'm more of I guess you'd call a flexible vegan haha I only stay away from straight milk and cheese type things because I'm actually allergic to dairy so o do eat this and quest bars which have whey protein isolate but still consider myself a vegan. I guess it's everyone's own way of defining it (like how some people eat honey and say they're vegan while others don't think that qualifies) :)

I just wanted to share this new find that I'm really loving right now

Never heard of them but I will check them out.

Do you wear leather and/or wool? Do you eat honey or use things that contain beeswax? Then you are not a vegan, you are a vegetarian. No such thing as a flexible vegan since vegans coined the word in order to separate themselves from those who only eat a plant based diet, not live totally cruelty free.

• peaceloveabby01
    Options
    I guess truly the only non vegan thing I do or eat is the whey protei isolate in this ice cream and in my protein bars. I am against animal cruelty completely, don't wear leather or eat honey. I read labels to make sure things are free of all of that except for those two things. I don't think I could live without my quest bars haha. I do consider myself a vegan though.

But definitely check it out, arctic zero is awesome. The old kinds did have a bit of an icey texture but the new labeling has a new formula which even says it's extra creamy and man it comes as close to ice cream as a non dairy thing could I think
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I tried something similar in a different brand, called WINK..I think. It's the only dessert I've never eaten. It's cardboard. It's in my freezer and I don't know what to do with it.
  • scaryg53
    scaryg53 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    So I have a feeling some of you may still hate this product but I just wanted to bring up one of my favorite things, arctic zero ice cream. I have always eaten it but didn't really like it (was one of those going to eat it till I like it things) because it always has a very icey watery texture.
    Well recently they've totally redone their products as you can see with new labels but with the new design came a new formula. And let me tell you , it's good. I currently am working on a pint of the cookie shake flavor and it's so creamy I can't believe there's no dairy.
    This stuff is 150 calories per pint (yes per pint not per serving, only 35 calories in a half cup) , fat free, dairy free (I'm a vegan), has added protein and fiber (not much but any little bit counts!) and is low glycemic. And now it's delicious!!
    They also have a new line of "chunky" flavors that are 300 calories a pint. I haven't tried those.
    I'm not a saleswoman for AZ or anything but I just wanted to share my discovery of the new formula that is now actually freaking delicious.

I have a bad habit of mindlessly eating dried cereal as a dessert after dinner, which by all means isn't a bad thing to have dessert, but I sit there eating out of the bag and end up having God knows how much. Now I've switched to having a few spoonfuls of arctic zero knowing that even if I ate the entire thing (which I never do, typically about 1/2 cup is enough to satisfy my sweet tooth) it would only be 150 calories, so where can you go wrong.

Has anyone else tried the new formula or the new flavors? I'd love to hear your thoughts!

It may be lactose free, but it isn't vegan. It has whey and other dairy products in it.
  • scaryg53
    scaryg53 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    It is delicious though
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options
    it tastes like a frozen whey shake to me. Like just some concoction you throw in a blender with some ice and then frozen solid.
  • srslybritt
    srslybritt Posts: 1,618 Member
    Options
    giphy.gif

Vegans don't eat whey products. If you consume animal byproducts, you partake in a plant based vegetarian diet. Definitions are not flexible; they are what they are.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options

But definitely check it out, arctic zero is awesome. The old kinds did have a bit of an icey texture but the new labeling has a new formula which even says it's extra creamy and man it comes as close to ice cream as a non dairy thing could I think

Ah well maybe I will try it then - I did once and definitely experienced that icy texture (actually that was over a year ago and half the pint is still in my freezer), I did NOT enjoy it then but I just may check out the new formula.
  • betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Yup, love their ice cream and have been having a pint almost every night. Someone pointed out in another thread that an independent research found that it actually has about 250 calories not the 150 they claim. I have now cut back on it because of this reason. Its still way low cal for what you get though.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Where's that flexitarian blog when you need it...
  • Travis_2
    Travis_2 Posts: 1,445 Member
    Options
    srslybritt wrote: »
    giphy.gif

Vegans don't eat whey products. If you consume animal byproducts, you partake in a plant based vegetarian diet. Definitions are not flexible; they are what they are.

Can't. Stop. Watching.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I guess truly the only non vegan thing I do or eat is the whey protei isolate in this ice cream and in my protein bars. I am against animal cruelty completely, don't wear leather or eat honey. I read labels to make sure things are free of all of that except for those two things. I don't think I could live without my quest bars haha. I do consider myself a vegan though.

If you're against animal cruelty, where do you think the whey protein comes from? It comes from the same source as milk.

I am not sure why you consider yourself a vegan, but this is not vegan. Words have meanings. It's great that you're reducing your participation in animal exploitation, but by calling yourself a vegan, you're basically declaring that the suffering and exploitation involved in obtaining the whey protein isolate doesn't matter. Those cows matter just as much as the cows involved in milk, cheese, and leather. In fact, they may be the exact same cows.
  • chuckthetuna
    chuckthetuna Posts: 1
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Will have to try it out....havent had ice cream in 6 mths
  • ironangel250
    ironangel250 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I would love to try this but where do you buy it? Not sure which grocery stores carry it..
  • peaceloveabby01
    Options
    I buy mine at Kroger but it's available at whole foods and some Walmart I believe! It's amazing stuff

I'm very interested in trying the Wink stuff too.

And please can we just stop with the vegan attack like I eat what I eat and I can call it whatever I want. Maybe it's not the same as everyone else's definitions or the Webster dictionary definition but it's my choices and my food and my attitude so please just forget the word vegan every came up and can we focus on what the topic was about...a new cool food
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I buy mine at Kroger but it's available at whole foods and some Walmart I believe! It's amazing stuff

I'm very interested in trying the Wink stuff too.

And please can we just stop with the vegan attack like I eat what I eat and I can call it whatever I want. Maybe it's not the same as everyone else's definitions or the Webster dictionary definition but it's my choices and my food and my attitude so please just forget the word vegan every came up and can we focus on what the topic was about...a new cool food

This isn't an attack -- it's just a reminder that vegan is about avoiding, as much as possible and practicable, animal cruelty and exploitation. That doesn't include choosing products that involve whey protein. Disagreeing with a definition of "veganism" that includes voluntary and optional animal exploitation isn't an attack. Since vegans often hear about new foods online, if you identify a food as vegan (or suitable for vegans) online, accuracy is important. And because the cows involved in producing whey protein are as important as the cows involved in producing cheese or regular ice cream (in fact, they are the exact same cows), I think it's important that we don't elide their suffering by acting as if products with whey protein don't really count.